It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alot of Weeds are Nutritious...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
We know that alot of weeds are nutritious...but collecting them can be back-breaking, so how about adding a weed-puller to your kit?
reviews.diy.com...
Quite a nice easy bit of kit that could save loads of time, especially if you are short on people.
Had to put this up...was a bit of a brain-wave

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
If you're down to pulling weeds for survival, I think its time to move on to somewhere else?

I live in rural Thailand where people still go searching for "forest vegetables" on a daily basis,
and they come back with an amazing variety of edible stuffs, they don't have fancy gadgets and they'll leave the weeds for the cows to digest.

I believe that survival on wild foods is similar to real estates in the city: location, location, location.
If insects and reptiles can't survive then there's little chances that humans can survive.
It's not so much technology/tool based but more knowledge based, where, what and when.

btw ... the one gadget that they do use are sun-glasses.

cheers

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I'm glad that you have plenty of foods to pick and choose from...unfortunately, I'm not from a rainforest, and we aren't 'allowed' machetes...and I was thinking WTSHTF. Instead of getting shot cos your head is down while wrestling with dinner, the foods can be gotten fast. Thanks for your input

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Many edible weeds are nutritious - Plantain, Chickweed, Dandelion, etc. However, since you're just eating the younger, more tender leaves there's no need for a weed puller.
Ounce for ounce, most wild foods are about twice as nutritious as domesticated vegetables.
A good survival strategy for most would include using wild foods to supplement your garden (regardless of where you live you can always grow a few things in containers).
If you had stocked up before an emergency that would give you 3 food sources without having to barter or go very far at all.
The Peterson's Field Guide to Wild Edible Plants is still the best reference available on the subject.

Cheers,
ATA

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
If you're pulling the dandelions out with the root intact, you can roast it up and make a substitute coffee drink.

www.prodigalgardens.info...

Coffee made from roasted Dandelion Roots has a deliciously unique taste. When brewed properly, it looks and taste just like coffee. I always get a positive response when I serve the coffee during my workshops. People are sometimes hesitant to taste it but the whole coffee pot disappears without you knowing it.

Dandelion Root is rich in vitamins and minerals and even micronutrients. It contains many components that are used in medicines, including inulin which is important in controlling diabetes.

Dandelion Coffee has a bitter flavor that is good for our body and it helps stimulate the digestive system, it starts from the cleansing and the absorbing of the nutrients that we take. This herb can be used as food or medicine. Unlike the coffee that is sold in the market, the Dandelion coffee has no harmful contents. People would be living healthy if they would start the day with a Dandelion Coffee.

There are some recipes at the bottom of the page for a couple of other dandelion drinks

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I got a small field full of wild plums... then along the pond are tons of cattails... not to mention all those self seeded walnuts pecans and oaks...

let me also add by definition a weed is any plant that grows where you don't want it too... yeah a good part of my yard has gone wild but I don't see them as weeds

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Darn tootin' my friend, That's called free eats where I come from.
No fuss, no muss, no bother.
Just pluck, prepare and eat.
Ain't nature great?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by celticpride

There are IMHO,no such thing as weeds-"weeds"are what we call plants growing where they should not.
What a silly idea-plants grow where they can I think,just like us.

Many so called weeds are actually great plants for one reason or another,and can benefit the soil or the humans.

Think of dandelions as an example,a classic "weed" but the young shoots and roots are a source of potassium, which can aid folks with heart problems,and just taste good in a salad at the same time.
The ground down seeds are a good source of nutrients as well.
And the fluffy stuff is excellent for lighting fires.
So to me this "weed" is no such thing.It is a wonder of nature IMO,like many other so called weeds.
edit on 22/6/2011 by Silcone Synapse because: im worth it

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Just thought you'd all like to know...
I have a odd recipe thread up...
how to make things like
Pyracantha Jelly
Prickly Pear Marmalade
even how to make a simple cheese with just whole milk and rennet tablets.
other than the milk these are things we used to find in the wild back home

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thanks for having a look

Other 'weeds' include fireweed (rosebay willow-herb), silverweed, hawksbit, goats beard, sow thistles, japanese knotweed, sea-holly, sea-beet, wild parsnip. Some of these with taproots are going to be a pain to get out of the ground, especially if they are in a wooded area.
I guess I posted this incase there are others like me who have noone to help them out if TSHTF. Guess I'll be really busy

Thanks again

top topics

join