It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

He Gets 100 Yrs in Jail, For Being Slicker Then You!?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I wanted to start this thread to ask a particular question, but first let me say that I am not saying that doing something wrong is right.

I was watching PBS and there was a documentary about Bernie Madoff called the Madoff Affair (video.pbs.org...). Now this thread has nothing to do with the technical parts of the case. This has something to do with all the people interviewed had no real answer to how they didn't see this coming, or why no one said anything for 30+ years.

The people/group/groups that we discuss here (TPTB) have accomplished this and more. As a matter of fact we have a "TPTB" because of such ego, and knowing that many people will be looking away as long as they get something out of it.

So I ask. Why do we punish those who have a skill. Maybe not the most honorable of skills, but why punish someone who was slick enough to get over on so many people? When has gullibility become an excuse? Anyone that has ever made anything out of themselves, has in some way pulled a ponzi scheme.

If there was no one good at getting over other people we would have no industry, no government, no filthy rich. This is and always will be why we have a pyramid, and thats why they call it a pyramid scheme. There will always be someone smarter then someone else that they can get over one.

Question after question they said we just didn't ask, or we gave him everything because it seemed like a good idea.... WHAT? What they should have said was, We were getting money, we liked it, and we didn't say anything. This guy is going to do over 100 years (really how symbolic is that) for being smarter then the people he stole from.

If it were me I would walk right into court alone (represent myself), and say if one... just one person can say that I took advantage of them, send me to jail right now. No one would be able to. Oh and just in case some dummy decided to say, "you took advantage of me", I would then reply. I cannot take anything from you, you willingly gave it to me, and I accepted.

Now we all know that could never happen, but I would do it anyway, (while I was getting hauled off to jail for being a smart butt), but if people cannot be held accountable for being stupid, why should anyone else?

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I agree with your sentiment that mostly what he really did was be smarter than a bunch of morons, but I still think he should be shown a cell because he committed fraud several hundred times over. At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
That is an interesting way to think of it.

I would be willing to place odds that there were many warning signs, but people were still making money and too greedy to do anything about it.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
TPTB punish those that do someting wrong. Bernie stepped out of line, I'll bet you my rather large arse on that. I hate to see such a complacent attitude here on ATS toward the psychopathtic behavior of those we call TPTB.

Its true that society rewards the most coniving of their own, taking them under their wing with the pride of a father walking a bride down the isle. Please, don't become complacent or ask "why him?" He (Bernie Madock)deserved it from both sides, I assure you.

top topics

join