It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senator Sanders: ’5 million seniors face the threat of hunger’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
From The Raw Story:

Sanders: ’5 million seniors face the threat of hunger’

While I'm all for trimming federal spending, (cough...Defense...cough...War on Drugs...cough, cough), this is plain old wrong.

So with all the expenditures in war, foreign aid and bailouts we cannot find the money to feed our citizens? This country, a proverbial "land of plenty"?

Plus, as these seniors start to grow more and more hungry they will inevitably become ill. Care to guess how much that will end up costing? An attempt to be penny-wise and incredibly pound-foolish if you ask me.

According to the report, the average cost of a meal brought to a senior's home is just over $5. By contrast, the average cost of spending a day in the hospital is more than $1,850, while the average yearly cost of care at a nursing home is over $77,700.

Will we ever figure out what should be important as a society other than perpetual war?

"You can judge a society by how they treat their weakest members." - Mahatma Gandhi

Still hoping. Still hoping!

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Don't they have adult children than can make them a sandwich every once in a while?

This is not the job of government.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
No only that they face hunger, many already are facing hunger, this comes amid the debate on social security age of retirement and cuts on Medicare, sacrifice the elderly for the good of corporate defense complex, they sure need their profits more than the elderly needs health care and the expensive leaching from big pharma drug cost.

But hell don't you even put on the table giving medications free to the elderly after retirement because that is obscene for profits.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Don't they have adult children than can make them a sandwich every once in a while?

This is not the job of government.

Not since we became a selfish,self-centered culture and dont practice living with extended family anymore.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
No only that they face hunger, many already are facing hunger, this comes amid the debate on social security age of retirement and cuts on Medicare, sacrifice the elderly for the good of corporate defense complex, they sure need their profits more than the elderly needs health care and the expensive leaching from big pharma drug cost.

But hell don't you even put on the table giving medications free to the elderly after retirement because that is obscene for profits.

Having to face the choice between food, meds or heat/cooling has been pretty standard for quite a while. Its simply getting worse. For at least the last 6 yrs ( given my work) Ive seen myself the abandonment of the elderly not only by their own families/children, but by society. Government abandoning them is just the last in a string of failures. It originated with the family and our culture that has drastically changed in the last 50 or so yrs in the US.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Having to face the choice between food, meds or heat/cooling has been pretty standard for quite a while. Its simply getting worse.

So very true.

This is just another act in a long series that just seems to say we should forget certain members of society.

Everyday it seems we lose a bit more of our decency, our humanity. We are becoming a "dog eat dog" society and it's depressing to consider.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

You know what makes me angry about the whole senior situation, that we are forced during our productive years to pay for two entitlement programs supposedly to pay for our needs in our older years, and also for the poor, but because the incompetence and wasteful ways of our crock politicians in Washington dipping into the SS and Medicare now we most sacrifice the elderly, still pay for the entitlement programs so we can keep bailing out the rich in the country and for the Whores in congress to keep reaping the benefits for their dirty investments in walls street.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is a joke right.

These are the same people that built our nations to what they are today.

The LEAST we can do is provide them with basic neccessities.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You nailed that one!

My friends and myself have resigned ourselves to the idea of never seeing a penny of Social Security in our lifetimes. Yet the deduction is taken out of every paycheck like clockwork.

With that in mind, at least I could feel a bit better knowing the money was being used to help those less fortunate and in need of help. Now we are being told to quit whining about the idea that Social Security is about to get gutted.

It's enough to make a person angry. Whoops! Too late.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Reply to Carseller4: I pity you dude, so brainwashed, so caught in the Matrix. Trapped like a cockroach in a roach motel. Free yourself. You can do it. Those hungry old people are YOU. Feed them my brother. Peace.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

You know what makes me angry about the whole senior situation, that we are forced during our productive years to pay for two entitlement programs supposedly to pay for our needs in our older years, and also for the poor, but because the incompetence and wasteful ways of our crock politicians in Washington dipping into the SS and Medicare now we most sacrifice the elderly, still pay for the entitlement programs so we can keep bailing out the rich in the country and for the Whores in congress to keep reaping the benefits for their dirty investments in walls street.

Amen, my friend.
Too bad those that think like us seem to be the minority. I actually have had to fight with our mayor just last week concerning trying to raise money for the elderly in our area.. our food pantry is bare already and meals on wheels is going to be "defunded".. or so the scuttle says. Our transportation is already all but gone for the elderly.. so much for grocery shopping and dr appointments. Volunteers who are being let go are doing it in their spare time on their own dime, but they can only do so much. Medicare and part D doesnt do enough.. and Pharma is killing who they feel are the "no longer useful" due to incredible medication prices. These great govt programs are ridiculous.. we dont need to save them, we need to get rid fo them and think up a rational way to care for our elderly.

Many things concern me, but as I get older I see much more clearly how the older you get, the more useless and expendable those in power feel you are. Its truly sickening when youre in the thick of it dealing with the issues... and you see the desperation. No one seems to care.. out of sight out of mind.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

We are witnessing what a government run by an elite corporate entities is doing to the nation, they are robbing us blind and people still think that our politicians works for the people, they are the chosen ones and we just think we vote for them.

Pitifu, all we are good for (the working class and tax payer) is to keep their wealth from trouble when they get into their dirty corrupted deals.

top topics

join