It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why was Megas XLR taken off the air in the U.S.A.?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I grew up on Megas XLR in middle school during its awesome 2 seasons. I can truly relate to some of the characters in the show. Mainly Coop in allot of ways. He likes video games T.V. food, muscle cars and hot rod projects about as much as me. I wish they made the show last until season 5. It was gaining a large amounts of ratings. It was one of the best animated comedy shows in its class. Hers the first episodes the low brow summer fest pilot and the official season 1 pilot episode. You can truly see the differences in the two pilot episodes. But I love every minute of them.
Megas XLR Lowbrow and test drive part 1 and 2: www.youtube.com... www.youtube.com...
I love the fight scene between the Glorft and Megas. A true display of wrestling brutality and action with good humor thrown in Jersey style.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Because networks run on profit, and they can't keep shows that don't draw lots of viewers. Viewers = Advertisers = Profit.

Shows don't have time anymore to grow a following. They have to be run-away successes by the 3rd week or they're cut. So unfortunately, well-scripted and thoughtful shows bomb while reality TV hot messes draw the ignorant masses. This is also the reason why the news in the USA is so bad - it's all about drawing big viewer numbers with sensationalized, divisive nonsense.

Which is why we hardly bother with television anymore, certainly nothing "prime time".

(I can't speak to the quality of Megas XLR because I've never even heard of it before, so I'm speaking generally.)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I know that it is not animated, but the same can be said of Life on Mars. The good old US of A is daft when it comes to entertainment value. The vast majority love to see staged overly-dramatic conflict of the fakest people in the most unlikely situations over something fantastic and thought-provoking. I don't know what else to add, other than people in the USA are just generally stupid when it comes to television. Give them sports, reality (loosly applied) television, and MSM and they are good to go.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

I guess the economy is to blame to. People get the cheapest writers they can find which in most cases arent good or dont even try on the story plot or the characters. The show this thread is about is one in a milion. I would emmagine that a show like Megas XLR wold be an expencive show to keep making new episodes. Well at least they were able to put the show on itunes and youtube.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
CN producers are way too cheap. I think that's the best answer.

(And before you dismiss that, look at all the stuff that's not even close to YTP quality that ends up on AS.)

They killed a lot of other shows that had a good following as well. Probably because they wanted to increase the budget for casting or doing more complicated animation runs. And as soon as that happens, the show gets dropped like a hot potato.

Any good cartoons that do seem to stick around appear to be in rerun-hell. Because it's obviously cheaper than coming up with new material and episodes.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pauljs75

Im starting to see it that way now. CN is gettin cheap now days. The only thing that hasn't failed me is a few shows on adult swim.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Just got word from a friend tat they might be bringing the show back. But this time on Spike T.V. They plan on replacing coops best friend Jame with a completely different character. So they are starting the show by redoing it from the pilot episode. To me it seems like a show more suited for Spike T.V. than C.N. if Spike T.V. had an animated comedy lineup.

top topics

join