It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Max Keiser: Mass Rioting In Greece As Economists Warn Of Global ‘Armageddon Scenarios’ 1/3

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

you should really listen to the interview.....

American backs are the insurers of the bad debt, so we will be affected in some way. Also after Greece goes then Portugal will, and then possibly Spain. That is how many think the collapse will start

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skerrako
reply to post by The Old American

you should really listen to the interview.....

American backs are the insurers of the bad debt, so we will be affected in some way. Also after Greece goes then Portugal will, and then possibly Spain. That is how many think the collapse will start

My point is that that was the way it was supposed to have happened when Ireland went bust, and then when Portugal went bust, and so on.

Let's face it, this is in great part an artifically generated issue, cause by companies with vetted interests like ratings agencies. There is a reason why amongst the first measures imposed on countries, privatization of everything that is still public is on top of the list. There is a reason why another major point is the downgrading of workers rights. And increased taxation on average pay earners. This is clearly all part of the biggest attack on workers rights since the rise of the welfare state.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
for those interested, I would suggest all of you
watch the Hollywood movie called

Valkyrie

with Tom Cruise

www.imdb.com...

Hitler and the Third Reich had a plan for
the continuity of government of the Third
Reich should Hitler be taken out of the
picture. This plan was exploited in an
attempt to assassinate Hitler and disassemble
the Third Reich. Which was part of the plan
to kill Hitler with an explosive device
under the table where he was discussing
war strategies with his top general's in
the infamous Wolf's Lair.

I have a feeling we may be seeing something
very similar not too far in the distant future
as the US has it's own continuity of gov plan
in place as well should the gov be overthrown.
I'll bet Greece and every other country does
as well.

edit on 6/20/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hello to everyone!
First of all, I would like to thank you all for your support! I am in Greece, and I am aware of the situation first hand.
Yes, people are beggining to defend themselves against the cruel austerity measures imposed. I am taking part in these "riots" - they are peaceful, so I wouldn't call them riots yet- because I believe what happened to the people here in Greece is extremely unfair. There is a lot of corruption, but the majority of greek people are hard workers, southerners, who love their country and each other. They are hospitable, smiling and caring people, who never had a lot of money, but knew how to appreciate life and make it count more. Or they used to be.. Now they are clueless as to were this crisis might lead, they feel numb and hopeless. So their only chance is to riot. Unfortunately, too many corrupted politicians, stole their money, made fun of them and took it all away. Their smile, their joy for life, their temperament. They feel like their only chance to live a decent -not rich- life is migrating, and they all hate the idea. There are many articles that show just how unfair the austerity measures are, how none of the politicians that stole the people;s money went to jail, how extremely useless the new austerity measures are, as they do absolutely nothing to help people, they only help banks and rich men. So the economy is slowly dying, people have no money to go to the supermarkets for crying out loud, and the government now wants to sell at extremely low prices all the resources of the country, which is indeed very rich. It's sad. I wish we can succeed...! + I have many many photos, so I can keep you posted and let you know first hand what exactly is going on here. Maybe you could even organize a protest in favot of greek people abroad. It would help tremendously, I am sure of it. But anyhow, the obvious support in this thread touched me to the core.. Thank you ATS, Thank you OP, Thank you all!!! Star&Flag*

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imogene72
Hello to everyone!
First of all, I would like to thank you all for your support! I am in Greece, and I am aware of the situation first hand.
Yes, people are beggining to defend themselves against the cruel austerity measures imposed. I am taking part in these "riots" - they are peaceful, so I wouldn't call them riots yet- because I believe what happened to the people here in Greece is extremely unfair. There is a lot of corruption, but the majority of greek people are hard workers, southerners, who love their country and each other. They are hospitable, smiling and caring people, who never had a lot of money, but knew how to appreciate life and make it count more. Or they used to be.. Now they are clueless as to were this crisis might lead, they feel numb and hopeless. So their only chance is to riot. Unfortunately, too many corrupted politicians, stole their money, made fun of them and took it all away. Their smile, their joy for life, their temperament. They feel like their only chance to live a decent -not rich- life is migrating, and they all hate the idea. There are many articles that show just how unfair the austerity measures are, how none of the politicians that stole the people;s money went to jail, how extremely useless the new austerity measures are, as they do absolutely nothing to help people, they only help banks and rich men. So the economy is slowly dying, people have no money to go to the supermarkets for crying out loud, and the government now wants to sell at extremely low prices all the resources of the country, which is indeed very rich. It's sad. I wish we can succeed...! + I have many many photos, so I can keep you posted and let you know first hand what exactly is going on here. Maybe you could even organize a protest in favot of greek people abroad. It would help tremendously, I am sure of it. But anyhow, the obvious support in this thread touched me to the core.. Thank you ATS, Thank you OP, Thank you all!!! Star&Flag*

Remember, there's always hope whilst there's someone that says no.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
This is a daily occurrence in Greece i wish the people all the best : )

Rio ts Greece

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Greece isn't looking to good, but it's always darkest before the dawn...okay that's corny but you get the idea

Here's a great ATS thread by confreak about what's up for sale in Greece, World Elite put Greece for Sale

Greek loan delayed

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/704e7cf9ee92.jpg[/atsimg]

Eurozone finance ministers said they expected the money, the next tranche in a 110 billion euro bailout of Greece by the European Union and the International Monetary Fund, to be paid by mid-July. Greece has said it needs the loans by then to avoid defaulting on its debt.

But keeping up their pressure on Athens, where public opposition to austerity has been growing, the ministers insisted that disbursement would depend on the Greek parliament first passing laws on fiscal reforms and selling off state assets.

Biggest anti-memorandum protest in Syntagma square

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6c363406dc38.jpg[/atsimg]

"Thieves - hustlers - bankers," read one banner as tens of thousands of people packed the main Syntagma square outside parliament to vent their frustration over rising joblessness as austerity bites, blaming the crisis on political corruption and government incompetence.

Turnout was the biggest so far in a series of 12 nightly protest gatherings in the square inspired by Spain's protest movement.

Thousands in Greece protest austerity measures

Athens --
Several thousand pro-Communist union members marched through central Athens on Saturday to protest the government's latest austerity measures and plans to sell off state enterprises to appease international creditors.

Greece has seen near-daily protests against the belt-tightening that has slashed salaries and pensions in an attempt to stem its ballooning debt.

"People should have no illusions ... (the government) and creditors will sit together to skin the Greek people alive," Communist party secretary Aleka Papariga told the crowd of 5,000, which dispersed without incident.

edit on 20-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Ironic that Karl Marx predicted this over a hundred years ago! That is not to say his economic solution is workable , because it isn't since it does not accommodate greed and selfishness.

However, Marx's analysis of the failures of capitalism are spot on. It's only a matter of time before the western world collapses under it's economic distortions.

FYI, oil will not be an issue, the collapse of technology in the west and concentrated in the hands of the chinese will be the end game. This will occur because of the shortage of rare earths that china is hoarding.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Hello to everyone!

Please forgive me if I come off as self ritous here, but when you proclaim that "cruel austerity measures imposed", are you refering to the government coming in a stopping a portion of the state welfare or government subsidies to the people?

Am not totally educated on this mess in Greece and I don't claim to be knowledgable, however, everything I've read of the riots are the people pissed that the government is taking many of it subsidies away which in my mind is the most prudent thing to do in a economic situation. Not live saving welfare benefits, mind you but some of these austerity programs from what I read are like Cadallac programs that many here would only envy.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Hmm... Interesting, many seem to have the same idea as you. But the answer is a big NO, even if the mainstream media wants you to believe that the answer is yes. First of all, this government has increased unemployment levels at 20%, and we talk about the recorded employment (free profession employment levels are not recorded in Greece). How exactly are we going to make money to pay back our debt if none of us has a job?
Then, there is the matter of debt. They borrowed BIG money with HUGE, absolutely outraging interest rates, that we have zero chance to pay back, when they could have borrowed earlier, from other countries (like China for example) with significantly smaller interest rates.
There is also the matter of exploiting the nation's wealth, such as oil, gas and gold. They intend to sell it for squat, when they could have signed a deal that would guarantee us 40% of the sale percentage. But they passed on that one, because it was not convenient for them (aka they would not get any money under the table).
As for the taxes, they have forced too many taxes on the small incomes, but haven't touched at all rich people.
Last, they borrowed money (110 billion Euros) a year ago, that was supposed to help us survive till 2013, but they mismanaged it, and now, a year later, we have to borrow another 100 billion euros. And I am asking: how on earth are we ever going to pay that back??? They do not help economical growth, instead they are making it impossible for anyone to start a new buisiness, due to taxation and lack of cash among the people, as a result of the heavy taxes.
Homeless people have increased dramatically, crime rates are skyrocketing because people are starving, and not one of them seems to care. Do you think this way we will be able to achieve something??? Every economist in the world disagrees. Yet they go for it, unfortunately.
We actually do not want to borrow any more money, we want to handle our debt internally.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Bearack

Hmm... Interesting, many seem to have the same idea as you. But the answer is a big NO, even if the mainstream media wants you to believe that the answer is yes. First of all, this government has increased unemployment levels at 20%, and we talk about the recorded employment (free profession employment levels are not recorded in Greece). How exactly are we going to make money to pay back our debt if none of us has a job?

Unemployment is a means of revenue for the government, yes, but if they are government jobs that are lost, there is a net savings. If they are provate sector jobs, then yes, there is a net loss in government revenue.

Then, there is the matter of debt. They borrowed BIG money with HUGE, absolutely outraging interest rates, that we have zero chance to pay back, when they could have borrowed earlier, from other countries (like China for example) with significantly smaller interest rates.

Not sure how your country works in regards to barrowing money. here, barrowing money is more like a metaphore in that we sell treasury notes. We dictate the interest we pay which also warrants how many treasury bonds are sold.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The sad fact is that the Greeks were never socially or emotionally prepared to deal with cutthroat wallstreet bankers. Greeks are very trusting and welcoming people. They take immense pride in being xenophiles or lovers of strangers.

They would truly rather give than receive. For instance, in the united states, the bulk of the trillions of dollars of found money during the real-estate boom was used for personal enrichment. In Greece, people in charge of the money gave raises to everybody under them not just other insiders.

The wallstreet journal said the behavior was peculiar to Greece. Although the comparison may be a drastic simplification, giving them access to "stated income" loans and huge government surpluses was like offering a bunch of kids 50 pound bags of candy.

Prior to this disaster 90% of homes were paid for in CASH. The bankers knew what was going to happen. They saw an easy mark in the Greeks and took it. I'm not saying they are innocent or there was no graft, greed or outright thievery but going from a system of very very tight credit, a system that loans were considered a character defect to unlimited sources of free credit and told it was part of the modern way, was a recipe for disaster.

I say tie millstones to the necks of bankers and the govt officials who made the deals with the bankers and use them to plug the holes in the container ponds at fukashima.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skerrako

It seems like the world is waking up. There have been protests in numerous countries..who thinks America is the next to have an uprising?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by paranoid7887

No until QE3 starts, which I would bet my store of gold and silver, is coming.

just watch the price of gas, the higher it goes, the more agitation will run through America. Eventually (6-12 months) Many will have to choose between gas/food or bills (mortgage, car payment) and when their houses and cars are being taken away, we we will see wholesale revolt in this country

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Bearack

Well, it is mainly private sector jobs. And at this rate, in about a year or so it will have reached 50%... We have 1.000 new unemployed people per day. This is too much for a healthy economy to handle, let alone a devastated one...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bearack
... We dictate the interest we pay which also warrants how many treasury bonds are sold.

Greece does not dictate the interest rates, insofar they got it dictated to them by the con between rating agencies and lending institutions (check who the biggest creditors are).

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

FYI, oil will not be an issue, the collapse of technology in the west and concentrated in the hands of the chinese will be the end game. This will occur because of the shortage of rare earths that china is hoarding.

Thats a good point, I read somewhere, china owns 97% of the worlds rare earth materials.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by stephinrazin
I think there is a bunch of fear mongering going on. The real danger is for the banking elite. What happens if the Greeks overthrow their government, and in doing so stiff the bankers. It will show the world that the people can remove the burden of financial servitude, and the banks can be challenged.

Of course I strongly doubt this will happen. A military coup that would install another ruler sympathetic to the banking cartels is more likely.

If the Greeks do show the World that a people can free themselves the World will literally change overnight.

The government can be overthrown easily. There just isn't a viable alternative yet so it's not going to happen.
But the longer things progress like this, then there is more chance someone will come along as an alternative.
Greece hasn't had real leaders in a long long time. This is what it needs today.

And if Greece doesn't pay up its debts, then the markets will not lend it money. Then were will it get money from? See how the system is setup to favor the banksters and screw the rest of us?
How do you think this whole mess started?
They engineered it from the start.
It might seem like chaos and uncertainty to the rest of us, but trust me, as far as the banksters and their cohorts are concerned, things are going according to plan. We can only imagine were they want things to go.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Greece prepares to slash budget after confidence vote

www.cnn.com...

''Papandreou is planning to cut 150,000 government jobs, slash the salaries of those who keep their posts, and slap new taxes on property, yachts and swimming pools.''

''International lenders have demanded Greece cut spending, lay off public workers, increase taxes and raise 50 billion euros ($71 billion) through selling off state-owned enterprises in exchange for another bailout deal for the cash-strapped nation.''

While i am not and never was against cuting gov jobs and the salaries, or tax the swimming pools and yachts, what they are doing now it will be equal to a big fat ZERO.
I wonder how many of those 150k jobs will be teachers, medical staff, firefighters and how many will be police and/or bureaucrats.

In Romania (22 mil pop. with 1 mil gov jobs) the layoffs in gov system were almost 400k, most of which were teachers, med staff, firefighters and police (yep, our president is scared because 8k police officers chanted infront of his presidential palace : ''get out, crappy bitch'').

It is safely to assume that greek gov will cut off first the same jobs : teachers, med staff, firefighters, wich will affect alot of families.Not to mention that they will slash the salaries and the pensions AGAIN.

I think this will be responded by greek people much, MUCH harsher (violently).

While toppling the givernment is not a viable option...many greeks will think that it might be the ONLY option.
I think many will be like '' Screw this #, lets burn all down and start from the fcking beginning''.

The best line from the CNN article is this :

''''International lenders have demanded Greece ... ''

DEMANDED !

edit on 22-6-2011 by Recollector because: *

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Recollector

(yep, our president is scared because 8k police officers chanted infront of his presidential palace : ''get out, crappy bitch'').

It is rapidly becoming the only option... You'll either full-on revolt or watch things sold for next to nothing while jobs, pensions, and basic reliance in service vanishes.

"Get out, crappy bitches" has a nice ring to it. More people from around our World should borrow the phrase!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join