It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cuba: Seas to rise more than 30 inches by 2100

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well, I guess it is summer time.....Here is the first story on rising sea levels that I have seen this year. Time to be flooded with "climate change" news, forced upon us in every headline and article that has to do with the weather.............Time to ramp up the campaign............Even Cuba.......

Cuba: Seas to rise more than 30 inches by 2100

HAVANA – Cuban scientists calculate that median sea levels around the Caribbean nation will rise more than 30 inches by the end of the century due to global climate change, official media said Friday.

Models predict the sea will rise 10.6 inches (27 centimeters) by 2050, and 33.5 inches (85 centimeters) by 2100, Abel Centella, scientific director of the country's Meteorological Institute, was quoted by Communist Party daily Granma as saying.

There were no details of what preparations the island is undertaking, but Granma said scientists are closely monitoring sea levels.

Government scientist Marcelino Hernandez warned of the need to protect environments that can mitigate the effects of sea encroachment.

"Right now it is urgent to preserve mangroves, coral reefs, sea grass and sand beaches," Hernandez was quoted as saying. "Each of these ecosystems is a natural barrier to defend the coasts from the impact of climate change. If they deteriorate, the consequences will be worse."

International scientific studies have projected sea levels will rise between 30 and 75 inches (190 centimeters) by the end of the century, fed by melting glaciers and ice caps.

The rises will not be uniform worldwide due to currents, winds and other factors.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110617/ap_on_sc/cb_cuba_climate;_ylt=AqupGl5gP5CY_66e _b7Q6SUPLBIF;_ylu=X3o'___'JnZnM2bWI5BGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTEwNjE3L2NiX2N1YmFfY2xpbWF0ZQRjcG9zAzEEcG9zAzEEc2VjA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yeQRzbGsDY3ViYXNlYXN0b3Jp

I did not even know Cuba had scientist.....
..................Just kidding..

My take on this whole scenario is that the Earth is always changing, and we humans think otherwise.

Like mother earth is supposed to stay the same just for us.....

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

You are correct my friend. The Sea has been rising ever since we entered an inter-glacial period 12,000-18,000 years ago; when the ice began to melt (Far before the Industrial revolution)

Puny Humans think their Meager 4% or less C02 output compared to Earths Overall C02 Output is enough to melt the Ice.

When in-fact it has minimal Effect 50% of the C02 we actually release is absorbed in the first year by the Oceans plants and life on Earth.

The Anthropogenic(Human) Global Warming (Climate Change) Is a lie.

The weather has always been fluctuating and the Sea level was rising from 18,000 years ago until present.

These people are just looking for funding .

Quoted from Anonymous

Every time somebody tells me "99.9% of scientists believe in AGW," I hit 'em back with "Yes, because 99.9% of scientists are utterly dependent on government grants for their next meal."

Cross the funding source, and you can count on having no budget next year. These politicians are hell-bent on taking over the energy sector--which is the whole enchilada, really--and they've got "science" over a barrel.

GeoCraft- GreenHouse Gases

Water Vapor is the Greenhouse Gas with the Most effect on Temperature by Far Compared to all other Greenhouse Gases

Water vapor accounts for the largest percentage of the greenhouse effect, between 36% and 66% for clear sky conditions and between 66% and 85% when including clouds.[10] Water vapor concentrations fluctuate regionally, but human activity does not significantly affect water vapor concentrations except at local scales, such as near irrigated fields.

Wikipedia- Greenhouse Gases- Role Of Water Vapour

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/829f40736889.gif[/atsimg]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Only reason we can account for the 2 ppm (PART PER MILLION) Increase of C02 in the atmosphere per year is most likely because of the mass deforestation going on.

The Forests are a large carbon dump and are being reduced in number.

Putting it all together: total human greenhouse gas contributions add up to about 0.28% of the greenhouse effect.

To finish with the math, by calculating the product of the adjusted CO2 contribution to greenhouse gases (3.618%) and % of CO2 concentration from anthropogenic (man-made) sources (3.225%), we see that only (0.03618 X 0.03225) or 0.117% of the greenhouse effect is due to atmospheric CO2 from human activity. The other greenhouse gases are similarly calculated and are summarized below

Based on concentrations (ppb) adjusted for heat retention characteristics

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/48e8f28fb4fc.jpg[/atsimg]

Putting it all together: total human greenhouse gas contributions add up to about 0.28% of the greenhouse effect.

edit on 19-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
He's right about us coming out of an ice age so yea when the caps are melted this sounds about right. As far as climate change goes well no one really knows as the records aren't that accurate.

There is no debate about global warming. It's happening and scientists know this, it's simply a matter of taking global average temps and comparing them to core samples. It's also not debatable that during previous warming trends throughout history how this period is far more accelerated than has ever been recorded. The recent spike in warming started around early 1920's and has been shooting up.

Now what is debatable as the previous poster mentioned is what effect CO2 plays in all this and what effect global warming will have on climate change. Basically if you look you will find any number of theory's to fit whatever belief you want. Some like Al Gore think it will be disasterous while others like me think it will be minimal.

The earth is still going through it's normal cycles of ice and melts and though human's may slightly accelerate this process we are not creating or preventing anything that would happen naturally. It's interesting because we are aware of the global warming how alot of scientists are totally in their element. I work with a number of them and they are studying the crazy weather were having and trying to find connections and some are studying the oceanic currents which seem to be doing weird stuff due to the cold water from the melts happening.

Really fun time to be a researcher if your into that kind of stuff. I wouldn't worry too much about it though as it's not that much out of the ordinary.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Well the UN made these same rediculus claims a few years ago saying that by 2010 there shall be 50 million refugee's from rising sea's.When this time came to pass they were questioned as to where they were and they denied and retracted the claim.Idiots forgot about the internet cache and where caught red handed in their lie!
Funny I was just recounting a remark made by one friend to another.The first was concerned about oil drilling and fracking.Talking of the sea bed and the hollow caverns left after the oil is removed.I recounted this to another and said if the sea's filled these vacums, it would mean in real terms the ocean levels would actually drop.Thanks after all BP
As for this post at least the scientist in question gave himself 90 years and will be dead and gone.But hopefully so will be the UN too, long before then.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13th Zodiac
Well the UN made these same rediculus claims a few years ago saying that by 2010 there shall be 50 million refugee's from rising sea's.When this time came to pass they were questioned as to where they were and they denied and retracted the claim.Idiots forgot about the internet cache and where caught red handed in their lie!

got a link to that red handed lie?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

got a link to that red handed lie?

You have the links yourself, it is called the ATS search function.Try it, it has been discussed here and scources provided.I can't believe you never heard the UN make these claims, it was a mantra in the media for months.You honestly don't remember this story ?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
asiancorrespondent.com...
Here is a link from google, this is just one of them.There are dozen's all from mainstream media outlets too, of all places

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Here is a link from google, this is just one of them.There are dozen's all from mainstream media outlets too, of all places

Thanks for the link. Im not sure I understand why you call it a LIE when it appears to be a mis-calcualtion. They predicted 50 million displaced when effect of climate change comes on top of poverty and war, but instead there were 43 million. So they missed their prediction by 14%. Not that bad actually, and certainly not a lie.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Thanks for the link. Im not sure I understand why you call it a LIE when it appears to be a mis-calcualtion. They predicted 50 million displaced when effect of climate change comes on top of poverty and war, but instead there were 43 million. So they missed their prediction by 14%. Not that bad actually, and certainly not a lie.

The original report was from the UN climate panel and had nothing to do with poverty and war.That is a very misleading side issue and it was not in the report.Not even related.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

The original report was from the UN climate panel and had nothing to do with poverty and war.That is a very misleading side issue and it was not in the report.Not even related.

What do you mean not even related? That is word for word the text in the map on the website you gave me, allegedly grabbed straight from the UN website.

Again, here's the link directly to that map, with those words right on it.

eta:

So, I'll ask you again, how is that a 'lie'? How did you come to that conclusion, especially considering you apparently didnt even look at the map you gave me a link to.

edit on 21-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

top topics

join