It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown SCSI Access - Security Risk ???? WHO put it there and WHY ???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I think Windows doesn't search system files, but I may be wrong.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

LOL you're welcome mate.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

I think Windows doesn't search system files, but I may be wrong.

I wonder if there is a way to adjust windows search settings
to allow searching system files ???

it would have made finding this a lot easier
and may have eliminated this whole thread
if I had found it when I looked for it.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Have you ever installed SCSI / SATA / IDE drive emulation software? That's what alcohol 120% does, daemon tools alike although I have daemon tools installed and have never seen scsiaccess.exe in my process list.

I have 2 monitors and on my right one, I have the task manager process list open at all times

I wouldn't worry about it, try installing quicktime, itunes, chrome, google earth and see how many sneaky background applications they're capable of squeezing in
It's criminal

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
To the OP:

It's ok that everything is allright now, since you found the problem...

I am actually happy for you...

But...

Now that I have time to look at my other pc's, I have found something that is really weird...

They are ALL STILL BROKEN!! lol!! Well, allmost...

I have been havin' a hell of a time lately, making things right with my pc's.
It has been tiresome to say the least...

I finally broke down & bought a new acer, a nice one I might add...

It's been working great so far, but, I still have a handful of laptops that I need repaired...

Anyone know someone who can fix laptops in the Seattle area that won't charge me an arm & a leg??
Screw Office Depot/Staples btw, been there, never doin' that again...

Thanks

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldave

Anyone know someone who can fix laptops in the Seattle area that won't charge me an arm & a leg??
Screw Office Depot/Staples btw, been there, never doin' that again...

Thanks

Hi.
Try the computer forum here.

I've learned a good amount from these forums.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

And why the HELL didn't my Norton Security warn me or catch it as it just ran a full system scan last evening ???

Norton Is Garbage. The Company Pays hackers and script kiddies to create viruses bots trojans and all sorts of fun stuff so people will buy their products.

Without the viruses running rampant on computers Norton wouldn't get much business.

I've never used Norton Never will

Haven't got a virus on my computer once i haven't been able to take care of without a virus or anti-malware program. I have all my processes written down on a sheet and actually memorized them since i built my computer.

So i know which ones aren't the default processes.

There hasn't been any viruses and/or trojans and/or malware that i haven't taken care of on the Computer.

I have a feeling Norton and the like are all in the scam.

That is one reason why i had built a home made computer

If you buy a computer retail it comes with alot of 'extra' software goodies and mal-ware spy-ware built in.

The only problem i've never been able to fix on my computer is when i had a hardware problem that was because my mother board went kaput.

But thats a different topic altogether.

If you need to fix problems on the computers forums are a good place to start especially Tech forums. There is a lot of info out there to help people.

I had a trojan/supervirus on my computer when i got home it was attacking my computer like crazy and wouldn't let me access any files

It was limiting my access to almost everything- Even tried restarting my comp several times

I finally was fed up and i smashed the Alt-F4 button like 100 times in a row as fast as possible and as i was doing that i had to right click the tab on the start bar and close at the same time.

It took me an hour to figure out how to get rid of it it kept popping up with a fake message saying

You need to install this software to fix your computer etc.

One of those fake viruses but it wouldn't allow me to click anything

When i defeated the virus it felt really good.

Had my computer 4-5 years now and still haven't had a virus /trojan i couldn't take down yet.

The Virus anti-spyware anti-malware anti-virus companies are all scams.

I suppose They aren't that bad but i'm certain they are funding the Script kiddies who make the viruses etc and the hackers. *Sigh*

I have never been unable to fix a virus

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Holy crap boon, are you ever going to stop this?

If you end a process, it DOES NOT mean it is disabled.

Unless you disable it in the process list.

"I het end task, and it was there when I rebooted" and then continuing to create the fear on this?

THIS IS ATS ALL OVER... NO KNOWLEDGE JUST FEAR.

jesus..

scsi = small computer system interface.Has been around longer than most of the people using the internet.

ANY number of programs that would create a virtual hard drive/cd/dvdrom may use this service, to emulate certain things.

I noticed you mentioned the 'scsi spy tool' the other day, and now I know what you are referring to.

I googled it at the time, thinking I might not have heard of something so new, but could not find anything.

Now I see why.

this is just getting silly boon...

and NO I am not a damn govt operative tying to hush you up, just in case you ask.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
Avoid all Windows Processes and Install Linux.

LOL at windozer's

Get my COD4 running on it, and Im with you.

Or else, stop FUDDING the thread with verses posts.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by Grey Magic

There should be a windows services manager in your control panel, just disable the service if it scares you this much, but I really don't think this little thing compromises the security of your computer.

did you not read my OP ???

I have already stated that I have had my SCSI
Windows Services disabled since I brought
the machine home. There is no reason why
this process should be running. It is against
the settings I set up in Windows.

Yet, it was still installed AND RUNNING !!!

Sorry man,

"I highlighted end task and stopped it from running.

However, this did not stop it from re-booting at my next
start-up."

DOES NOT DISABLE SERVICES.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Mine will not let me shut it down...won't at all...I have been in and out and it still is running.

Funny thing this is...I have 4GB RAM 1 T disc and quad core processor, and it still is using 10% of my CPU.

Greedly little program this is!

Run taskmanager as admin.

Then can it, for the current login.

OR go to Start/run and type services.msc

Locate the service and either set it to 'disabled' or 'manual'. From there you can also Stop it.

Bare in mind, you will break whatever legitimate application you use that requires it.

I've never seen issue with it, but then I only use alcohol 52%.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Did you come across all this:

Now I am a little pissed...it won't shut down.

Shut it down properly.

Not via task manager.

Processes.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   

edit your first post, or closest to

then we all come away gracefully.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Nice to hear it's not malicious though...I will turn off my panic switch now.

I still do not understand why windows search
could not find the exe file in the directory
structure ???? quite unusual !!!!
No answer to that question.

Windows search is useless mate.

If I could suggest a program, look for AstroGrep. It is a gui based version of linux grep, which will search for files AND content, and does so within hidden/system folders.

Windows hides so much with search, it's easiedr to do a dir *scsi*.* /s from dos at C:\ to get results.

Windows will not reveal hidden stuff if you have it kept set to hidden.

(System files and folders, which is a good thing considering this thread was all about stopping random services, and potentially deleting system files.)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sm0k3
Cmon Boondock, read his link before you jump on him... its safe

www.neuber.com...

also, from your link
it says the process can be re-named.

Why go to the trouble of re-naming it
unless you do not want it found ???

Jesus man
Be more paranoid, holy crap.
I knew some people on here were a little bonkers, but you are just...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

i think that the EPOWEREVENT is power management for acer/packard bell computers as I had to download it and install on a laptop after installing windows 7.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I would like to clarify for everyone running circles real quick.

SCSI-related services are completely fine, and do not (by design) track any data. The service is for managing data interpretation from other devices in your PC, such as a DVD drive, floppy drive or hard drive - along side many other things as well.

You should not disable this service, although if you so wish to, you can have a fun time going crazy by running services.msc

More than likely there is plenty of backdoors inside of any windows operating system, or linux system for that matter. I was told once that the government ensures this.

But, is it worth the paranoia? Nope.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

It's probably a hidden or system file. You can run utilities to check for those too, or modify your search/attributes to find them.

As a prior poster mentioned, neuber has a list of programs (like the alcohol burning software), that installs this:
www.neuber.com...

Typically these processes get installed by devices that you not really think are installing them - windows patches/updates, existing software add-ons that you configure to 'automatically update', and when they do, they push additional junk into the system, USB drives that auto load, and put utilities on the system, etc. Plus friends or family who 'check their email' might be clicking on links that easily push utilities or things down. Windows is pretty easy to pack full of stuff from a whole variety of places.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Just to put this out there, I've never encountered the exact process name you posted, but I do use a lot of image mounting tools. To work, these tools have to make windows believe an image is actually a drive with a disk in it, or in some cases, a harddrive itself.

It's not used as a remote intrusion tool, it has no ability to navigate your network, or open ports on your network. It is an imaging tool used to mount logical images as physical (not really) drives. All of these tools create virtual drives, virtual SCSI drives as this allows for faster transfer rates (as they aren't limited to a physical trace on the motherboard, they are in fact all digital.) because SCSI drives offer wider data paths.

If you ever installed any software capable of this like alcohol, daemon tools, or various others, you'll have this process running. As this software enables this process, and requires it, it sets the process to start at windows boot. This is mainly for easy of use, so if you left an image mounted before rebooting, it will still be mounted and work. Without the process starting with windows, you'd have to wait maybe 30 seconds for the process to start before your image drive is accessible.

That said. If you are sure no one has ever installed that software, start some deep scans. Process Port Linker (google it) is a free tool that will give you a detailed list of processes running as well as the ports in use, this is important to track questionable processes.

From the same programmer you can also grab "nettools" I have version 4, but it might be higher now. There are plenty of scanning and security tools to help identify any potential problems.

Anyways..... Unless you know what you are doing, and no offense intended but you clearly don't, do not start messing around with services.msc. yes, windows xp and windows 7 do load plenty of services that you might not need. But, unless you've taken the time to learn about these, you don't actually know which are co-dependent.

Do NOT mess around with your windows services unless you enjoy having to repair install. Killing required processes from the task manager is also a waste of time as they will reappear. do not attempt to adjust the process priority or affinity, again, unless you enjoy repair installs.

If you are running vanilla windows, there are plenty of places you get can lists, including Microsoft itself, as to which processes should be running and what they do.

The instant you install additional software, this list becomes incomplete as software adds it's own processes. Update processes, update checkers, device checkers, the list goes on and on. And if you bought a dell or hp or whatever branded machine, and used the windows installed provided with it, you've probably got 50+ processes all added by their bloatware.

mild paranoia relating to computer security is good, but keep it in check.

Also note that only an idiot would allow their malware to appear in the task list or process list. It's insanely easy to hide stuff from windows. Here's a few examples.

Any keylogging software, will run in what they call "stealth" mode. No process, no task nothing associated with the program will be visible from anywhere inside the os unless you are the person who installed it. The best case scenario is they tell the logger software to upload images and txt to a sever, and you see this traffic on your router. because you actually were looking for it.

"Dream pack" for windows xp & 7

For windows xp, dream pack allows me, as long as the device lets me boot USB or CD, to install into windows a fancy little box that appears at the logon window, before you log on, that lets you crack passwords, run command lines, install software, and my personal fav:

Lets you log into the computer as a "system account" and run software as "system" all without even attempting to enter a password.

Keep it in check, check your router traffic logs
edit on 20-6-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

So alcohol.... Well as far as i know that is dvd burn software. Also it can relate to scanner or image software from Kodak relating to a digital camera or the software that comes with it or alternatively something relating to the publisher - Photodex Corporation

When you found it in the process tab did you right click and then click goto service? That will tell you what service it relates to exactly.

edit on 20-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join