It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warming climate causes honeybees to oversleep flower bloom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Warming climate causes honeybees to oversleep flower bloom

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/020ae5f6c301.jpg[/atsimg]

As the climate grows warmer, flowers are blooming earlier in the spring and this year many German honeybees awoke to find many blossoms already gone. Researchers are working to find out why.

As the first blossoms emerged and nature awoke this spring, one animal was conspicuously absent: the honeybee. The bees apparently overslept their annual call to action, said bee expert Jürgen Tautz of the University of Würzburg.

“Bees are directly dependent on the climate through the ambient temperature, and indirectly dependent on it through flowering plants,” Henneken explained.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Now that I think about it, I haven't seen a single honey-bee this year. Crazy!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Wow.
The honeybees appear to be harbingers of... something. I hope we can figure out WHAT before it's too late.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I think this is intentional deflection from the true causes of bee decline which include varoa mites, pesticides and electromagnetic fields generated by cell phone towers.

If the flowers "woke up" early why wouldn't the bees have as well? they respond to ambient temperatures as well.

What the heck does swarming have to do with feeding?

edit on 19-6-2011 by Asktheanimals because: added commentary

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I tend to agree with you on this aspect.

Often with beekeeping it is necessary to feed the bees during the winter because, well because bees just do not sleep! Without winter feedings the hive can be reduced in numbers because they rely on their own honey production to keep them alive.

When the honey is removed by humans the hive is at risk so feeding is necessary.

As for this article, well I have lived in Germany and there is never a shortage of flowering plants and trees. There is the chance that some fruit trees can bloom earlier than expected and the cold ambient air prevents the bees from locating them and pollinating them. So crop loss can occur if this should happen; sadly this is just the way it is in this world and other means has to be applied to pollinate the fruit trees such as hand-pollinating and blower units to move the pollen about.

I see the climate effecting how the trees open each Spring, but I do not see the bees "sleeping" as they want us to believe. Of course, there is colony collapse which has more factors than Monsanto wishes to discuss, but the ramifications of that would be the loss of the hive and temperatures have nothing to do with that.

I should come back and report some of the bee situations I have to deal with here at my home, but it will have to wait for a bit because this morning I have to go to Radium Springs, NM to pick up some Papyrus for the Lake!

It is good to keep the bees in mind at any rate!

top topics

join