It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy pulsating ringing sound in the air

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I've heard recently of some villages and towns around the world experiencing a deep vibration, rumbling, or humming sound that can't be traced to electronics, weather, etc. Well, last night after getting home from a friend's house I was being kept awake by a pulsating ringing noise. I know it wasn't in my hears because it seemed to have a very specific source point, so when I turned my head to listen with my other ear the sound would change as you'd expect with any normal sound coming from a concentrated source. In other words, it wasn't just a constant ringing in my own ears. It was everywhere, in the air, but it definitely sounded like it was emanating from a very specific point somewhere off in the night.

It also pulsated, I don't think the rhythm was all consistent, but it was a pulsating ringing that would die down, become totally inaudible for just a split second, and then start coming back up again like a wave. Eventually it just stopped. It was never overpoweringly loud, but perfectly audible. I'd never heard anything like it before. This was around 2 AM, and I live about an hour north of NYC. I'm not necessarily assuming it was something paranormal, but it was certainly something strange and new for me. Has anyone else heard a pulsating ringing sound in the middle of the night, seemingly coming from a very concentrated point, or anything else like this lately?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadBirdCitizen

One possible explanation may be cicada bugs. In the southeast we've recently had an 11 (or 7) year reemergence of these insects so it may be the same thing up your way. When I first heard the noise my best description was "it sounds like some far off sound, like the Langoliers, something that you want to get away from despite the urge to investigate it".

I'm not saying thats what it is, i'm just offering a possible explanation.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadBirdCitizen
I know it wasn't in my hears because it seemed to have a very specific source point, so when I turned my head to listen with my other ear the sound would change as you'd expect with any normal sound coming from a concentrated source. In other words, it wasn't just a constant ringing in my own ears. It was everywhere, in the air, but it definitely sounded like it was emanating from a very specific point somewhere off in the night.

A few nights ago I had a sudden ringing in my ears which grew loud and soft and loud again over a period of about a minute or so. I am used to having ringing like that in my ears. So, in the first few seconds even though it was more annoying than usual, I didn't really give it much thought.

And then my dog woke up out of a sound sleep, sat up, and started staring at me. Then she started cocking her head as though she was trying to determine the source of the sound. She was hearing it too!

I have been having a lot of trouble sleeping lately so I am not sure exactly what time of night this was but I know it was probably between midnight and about 2:00am because everyone else had gone to bed already and I have been drifting off at about 2am.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeadBirdCitizen
I know it wasn't in my hears because it seemed to have a very specific source point, so when I turned my head to listen with my other ear the sound would change as you'd expect with any normal sound coming from a concentrated source. In other words, it wasn't just a constant ringing in my own ears.

Ahh, there goes my little idea. People can 'hear' electronic noises within a certain frequency, but they hear kind of internally, and it will seem as though you can hear it externally, but it is actually something to do with certain sound frequencies reverberating around inside your head. I found an article explaining this better, I shall try and find it again. If certain unnusual electronic activity were occuring around your area, this would definitely cause a vibrating/humming sound with no apparent cause.

However your conviction that it was sounding like a 'normal' noise makes me not so sure. Although electrical noise would certainly account for all those weird humming sort of noises people have been hearing lately. especially if it were increased electronic activity that previously was not present and has now been activated for some reason.

Edit: forgot to add, I recently moved into a big apartment building and I usually have lived in seperate houses before now. So I am now surrounded by a lot of electronic activity because everyone is kind of crammed together quite closely (by my standards at least).I have had the exploding head syndrome before but only once or twice while passing through big cities - been living here for a couple of months and had it much more! So I think electronic noise is the culprit, well it seems to affect me significantly at least.
edit on 18-6-2011 by DeepThoughtCriminal because: Needed to talk more

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Just thought i'd post about something i've head quite abit around my area in VT. The best way i can describe it is a digital sound lol. Seriously the only way i can i describe it. Odd i know...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Thats a very apt description of the noise i heard the cicadas making.

I am already looking forward to their next emergence so I can get the sound on video. The noise may still be something different but IMO its the cicadas.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

Yeah, not an unreasonable explanation, but I know it wasn't cicadas because I know what they sound like. It was less buzzy than cicadas, in fact at first I thought it was in my ears/head but when I realized it was pulsating, I got up to look out the window and realized it was coming from outside, filling the air. Really weird.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dilligaf28

Yeah, I know it wasn't cicadas though. Their sound is fairly distinct and I know it very well. Again, not ruling out "normal" explanations, I just know it wasn't cicadas. Maybe something electrical, I don't know.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Not wanting to worry you or anything, but have you considered brain cancer as a possible cause. They are now predicting a huge increase in cases, due to mobile phone use. Do you have an Iphone?
I would go and see a doctor just in case. Have you smelled burnt toast anywhere, thats another symptom.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadBirdCitizen

Dead Bird without sounding like i'm contradicting you I would point out that the sound seems much higher pitched from miles away than the sound of the cicadas nearby. Again I'm not trying to diminish what your saying; its more like I forgot to point out the pitch difference earlier.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Yeah, who knows. I haven't had any other "brain cancer-type symptoms", just this pulsating ringing last night. I have had an increase in my ears ringing in general as well, but this was very different. Thanks for all the responses guys.

join