It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many ways do they LIE? Ice Ages and Sunspots

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This post is not about the weather- it is about how every weather story is manipulated these days and frankly, the scientific community is sick and tired about it. I think they should start suing every news organization that twists their words and findings to promote the profits of big petroleum/coal.

Example: I see this Google headline news story coming from 'The Register' about a "mini ice age coming in a decade!" Yep that's the headline. And the story is twisted out of context in a way that puts words in the mouths of the scientists whose findings it is relating. Basically- they are lying to the readers.

Now compare what THE REGISTER reports the NSO is Saying:

What may be the science story of the century is breaking this evening, as heavyweight US solar physicists announce that the Sun appears to be headed into a lengthy spell of low activity, which could mean that the Earth – far from facing a global warming problem – is actually headed into a mini Ice Age.
www.theregister.co.uk...

With what the physicists at the NSO ACTUALLY SAY:

In response to news inquiries and stories, Dr. Frank Hill issued a follow-up statement: "We are NOT predicting a mini-ice age. We are predicting the behavior of the solar cycle. In my opinion, it is a huge leap from that to an abrupt global cooling, since the connections between solar activity and climate are still very poorly understood. My understanding is that current calculations suggest only a 0.3 degree C decrease from a Maunder-like minimum, too small for an ice age. It is unfortunate that the global warming/cooling studies have become so politically polarizing." # # # These results have been presented at the current meeting of the AAS/SPD.
www2.nso.edu...

These are the things that lead to climate change denial - the constant bombardment of excrement by manipulating every weather/climate related finding - LYING to YOU and changing words and context to fit the Petroleum Propaganda model.

I suggest you all write to Lewis Page - the author of this piece and let him know you hate being lied to and you are aware of his garbage journalism. Write to The Register as well and let them know you will be boycotting.

forms.theregister.co.uk.../2011/06/14/ice_age/

edit on 18-6-2011 by Stratus9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Stratus9

Sun spot cycles are only 11 years, so obviously this cycle doesn't cause ice ages. There are other solar cycles that do cause ice ages, but they are anywhere from 23,000 yrs long to 100,000 years long.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Ohh yeah, they manipulate the hell out of information.
Understatment of the century maybe, but I'm with ya on that one.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
It's this problem we have now where most so-called 'journalists' and graduates of journalism schools learn very few critical thinking skills, and increasingly all they do is google their subject and copy off the first couple of hits.

I share your despair. Whenever I see a story in the news based on something in my area of expertise, I just wince at the has the journalist makes of trying to understand it.

I swear most of these people would be better off writing on walls with crayons.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Sounds like some conspiracy theorists...

Elenin anyone?

Nibiru?

No?

edit on 18/6/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Geez. If I was to write to all the folks I think are lying in the media...I would get no sleep.

And what defines a "mini-ice age" anyway?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Painterz

It took me about 10 seconds to find the scientists real statement on this. Crayons? How about scratching in the dirt with a stick.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Haha, journalist will write what sells. If a scientist says something like "we are working on finding an answer to this", the media will say, "Scientists at a loss! Recent events cannot be explained!". A great example is the Large Hadron Collider. Now, particle crashers have been around for a while, the LHC is just a bigger and newer one. But once the media got hold of the term "black hole" all hell broke out and the fear mongering commenced! Because it sold well, and made the media companies lots of money. That's just how they work.

We scienticians are sick and tired of the media twisting our words so much. It makes us looks clumsy and inept in the public eye, and decreases popular support for our endeavours. If anything, we need all the support we can get! The question is though, how to decrease the media's influence in swaying public perception/understanding of scientific concepts? It's important that people understand, yet so many seem to simply prefer a good, entertaining story than actual facts - how like children!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Painterz
It's this problem we have now where most so-called 'journalists' and graduates of journalism schools learn very few critical thinking skills,

Critical thinking is against the school system in general. The less you think by yourself, the better grades you will have.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Geez. If I was to write to all the folks I think are lying in the media...I would get no sleep.

There is a difference between people you 'think' are lying - and a story that is clearly refuted as a lie- as this one is.

A 'mini ice age' is where the winter season is extended past normal dates and in some areas of the north the ice only recedes- not total melt- off of ponds and lakes, etc.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratus9

Originally posted by Amaterasu

There is a difference between people you 'think' are lying - and a story that is clearly refuted as a lie- as this one is.

Well. You're right. [smile]

A 'mini ice age' is where the winter season is extended past normal dates and in some areas of the north the ice only recedes- not total melt- off of ponds and lakes, etc.

Ok. I am unsure whether that drop mentioned would do it. Probably not. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by User8911

Originally posted by Painterz
It's this problem we have now where most so-called 'journalists' and graduates of journalism schools learn very few critical thinking skills,

Critical thinking is against the school system in general. The less you think by yourself, the better grades you will have.

Ain't that the truth. More and more so too it seems. when I was at University, they taught us critical thinking. But the people I know who go to uni now? Don't seem to get taught that, they just get taught how to put the ticks in the boxes to progress.

join