It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automatic weapon tracking and targeting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Guys Ive come up with a solution and am doing some research into automatic target tracking and engagement using the field of robotics and machine vision.

There are many open source tools to help write the software to help me achieve this.

What this does is gives you a sentry gun without the need to expend human resources. It will not give an infrared signature that can be tracked by attack helicopters or the enemy enabling FLIR systems.

Here are some examples that anyone with a background in C/C++ programming can achieve:

This is all DIY home project. All you have to do is buy a webcam that has small servo motors (many out there) and make a wireless link from the sentry camera to your base. If you do not feel the need to weaponise your system this can just serve as an automatic perimeter guard.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
i love those things.

i have watched alot of youtube videos from the real deal mil spec to the paintball sentrys

they sell one but thats neither here nor there since your building your own.

i use to hate on youtube but i has become a useful tool as of late.
edit on 17-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Not building one yet, but I am doing research into the software before I begin the project. Will be a few months before I start (have work related stuff arggh). I have gathered all the software together, read a few research papers (IEEE transactions on Pattern analysis and Machine intelligence journal).

Yea the most important part is the software and then getting cheap parts, mainly the webcam and the servos. The Wireless USB links are probably only 10-20 bucks. Id say this project will not be more than a few hundred dollars for a rudimentary system and if you want advanced optics such as using a HDTV camcorder it will be much more expensive. Imagine a system that will automatically detect and track movement with precision better than most military systems.

Haha just saw the paintball video. It is not taking into account target distance and speed and has some lag and is missing the target lol. It really is a neat idea. The thing is you can get your system beyond mil-spec because when the military hits a target they have such a large weapon that if it is close it does not matter (eg tomahawk missile). With custom home brewed software you can get much much better than state of the art milspec.
edit on 17-6-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If those kids just covered my jeep and filled my shed with painball splats.....

There would be some serious whop azz coming out of the can.

top topics

join