It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tajikistan moves to BAN adolescents from mosques

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Source: www.samachar.com...

DUSHANBE: Tajikistan has taken the first step toward banning children and adolescents from worshipping in mosques and churches, drawing criticism from Muslim leaders who oppose the Central Asian state's crackdown on religious freedom.

The lower house of parliament in the impoverished ex-Soviet republic this week passed a "parental responsibility" bill that would make it illegal to allow children to be part of a religious institution not officially sanctioned by the state.

Hmm... thought this was pretty interesting. Sounds scary though eh?

religious institution not officially sanctioned by the state
Whaaaa!?

Why are they doing this you may ask?

Authorities say the measures are necessary to prevent the spread of religious fundamentalism in the volatile republic

Wow... I hope that this at least goes for all religions? Sadly, looks like it doesn't..at least the article only discusses the muslim religion.

SO, the question is, will this prevent the 'spread of fundamentalism'? is that even the right of the government? What if they did this in the U.S. or Canada or the U.K.? I can't even imagine the backlash.... not just from the muslim groups but consitutionalists... Freedom of religion right?

Let me know what you think

edit on 6/17/2011 by Nspekta because: ..

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Wow finally a country that understands true freedom....

a mind, a spirit if you will shan't be influenced by elders until mature.

So be it and it was good. Anybody disagreeing with this rule that should count for all religions and fines for parents that indoctrinate their children.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by FriendlyGopher

I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that would agree that this passes as "true freedom". It said religions sanctioned by the state! doesn't seem very free to me.

But, I think i get what you are saying... why should children growing up be subject to the religion of their parents? unfortuntaely, i dont think you can make a law to decide this.. IMO. yes, you may have issues with what some parents teach or do not teach to their kids, but it is still up to the parents right? so are they to not include their children in any religious ceremonies until they are of sound mind? What about christenings? Grace at dinner? I dunno.... just seems very strict and controlled

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

Originally posted by FriendlyGopher

I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that would agree that this passes as "true freedom". It said religions sanctioned by the state! doesn't seem very free to me.

But, I think i get what you are saying... why should children growing up be subject to the religion of their parents? unfortuntaely, i dont think you can make a law to decide this.. IMO. yes, you may have issues with what some parents teach or do not teach to their kids, but it is still up to the parents right? so are they to not include their children in any religious ceremonies until they are of sound mind? What about christenings? Grace at dinner? I dunno.... just seems very strict and controlled

Aren't children of athiest parents victims of indotrination, same as political values, all parents inflit their thoughts and beliefs on to their children, name of the game.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by FriendlyGopher

State enforced religion is not an embodiment of freedom. It's not the government's job to sanction religion or ban beliefs and opinions. My religion (if i even have one) should have no effect on the workings of the state and the state should have no involvement in my theological beliefs, other than to defend by right to have them. Freedom of belief (not just religion but any belief) is what freedom stands for, if you take that away then you abuse the fundamental meaning of the word 'freedom'.
edit on 17-6-2011 by lifeissacred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Agreed... religion or not, politics or not, all parents are going to influence their children

new topics

top topics

join