It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid's lemonade stand for cancer? 500$ fine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Seriously, those scumbag cops and the scumbag legislators need to stay the hell out of people's lives.

Kids Lemonade Stand At U.S. Open Fined $500 And Shut Down By Montgomery County

You can make a fortune selling parking spots outside the US Open, but don't even dream of setting up a lemonade stand.

A county inspector ordered the Marriott and Augustine kids to shut down the stand they set up on Persimmon Tree Rd., right next to Congressional. And after they allegedly ignored a couple of warnings, the inspector fined their parents $500.

"This gentleman from the county is now telling us because we don't have a vendors license, the kids won't be allowed to sell their lemonade," Carrie Marriott told us, her voice trembling.

The kids can't seem to understand it. "I don't agree, I think the county is wrong." "We're sending the money to charity."

"Cute little kids making five or ten dollars is a little bit different than making hundreds. You've got coolers and coolers here," the inspector responded.

"To raise money for pediatric cancer," Marriott replied.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Did the kids ignore the warnings or the parents?

Being "warned" is enough for me to get PO'd and make a media stink about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Even the Mafia would allow a kid's lemonade stand in their territories. The government has far surpassed the mob in almost every way. At this point I would vote for Tony Soprano for President.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Simple solution.

The lemonade is being "given away" for a suggested donation to benefit cancer. There is no "vending" going on and no need for a permit. Anyone is allowed to give away a drink. Then the problem becomes whether they need a permit to solicit donations, and the answer is no, as long as they are on someone's private property and they don't raise so much money as to be classified as "professional fund raisers."

If they are on public property, then they might need a permit for soliciting donations, but this would fall under the panhandling laws, and I would ask the cops how many tickets he has written to panhandlers in his career, and I would file a complaint with the department for harassment. They can't target these kids unless they can show a consistent history of similar citations written to other panhandlers.

The parents just need to be a little more creative and assertive.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Very nice ideas.

And I hope they can afford a lawyer & will fight the ticket.

edit on 17-6-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

If their fundraiser sign said "to the police of our great state" there would have been a different response from the "officers" about all this.....

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
And those parents are complaining? Yeah right...behave like a idiot and then complain. Great
The article states it's illegal to operate a lemonda stand there. They were also warned and completely ignored it. It's their own fault. You don't do illegal things, you don't ignore warnings.

They deserve what they got

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Great idea! They should go back today and put up a sign the reads:

FREE LEMONADE
Cops shut us down yesterday
for not having a vendor's license.
Now accepting donations
for my $500 ticket.

I bet with all the rich people there they would rack up a ton of money.
edit on 6/17/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Some places have to be restricted from this type of activity.

They were warned, they didn't listen, they got fined.

Case closed.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

reply to post by Carseller4

Seriously?

I wonder how many of those cops accept free coffee? I wonder how many get discounts on their rent for parking their cop car at home? I wonder how many other technicalities they have ever let slide in their day to day duties?

A lemonade stand deserves a $500 fine? You have to be kidding.
edit on 17-6-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join