It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIM to cut jobs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

RIM to cut jobs

ca.finance.yahoo.com

Rim seems to be losing the battle against Apple, and to compensate for the losses they will cut jobs.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
This company is choking, bad management, slow internet on their devices, playbook with no email, I think most of us who sniffed the smell of death on Rim 6 months ago, knew this was going to happen. Hopefully the company gets something out that keeps up with technology, at the very least they should come up with a device that has fast internet.

ca.finance.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Well well Mr Obama where are the promises of new jobs and recovery hmmmmmmmmmmmm? Looks like you got some explanin'

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

He created them at Apple instead. This has nothing to do with Obama, this is about Rimm dropping the ball with the smart phone market. Geeze next i'll bet you blame Obama for the flooding in China.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

RIM is Canadian, no? Don't think Obama has much to do with this one.
Second line.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I think RIM missed the opportunity in the Smartphone market. They had a captive audience with all the business users and stopped innovating, opening the door for Apple, then Google.

I had a Windows Mobile phone years ago that I loved and then moved over to a Blackberry and fell in love with the super simplicity of the design and usability. I was as happy as a lark, getting emails, browsing the web (albeit, slowly, but it worked) and then along came the iPhone. I'm not an Apple guy, and, while I liked the iPhone, I was willing to live with the aging technology of the Blackberry, convinced that they would come out with something better.

Then, my buddy good a first generation Droid.... I played around with it, and being the geek that I am, started salivating.... an open source OS, multiple hardware profiles, etc, etc... however, my company only supported Blackberry, so, I'll wait a while longer just knowing the RIM was going to come out with something innovative.

Last November, I got tired of waiting, corporate email be damned... I jumped on the Android train with a purchase of an EVO and have never looked back. The ability to customize this phone far outweighs the benefit of being tied into my corporate email system with push technology and I'm willing to use the work-around that I have devised to still get work email, contacts and calendering on my Android phone (pull solution).

At this point, I'll never go back to a Blackberry. They became a victim of their own success and I don't think they'll ever retake the #1 spot. They even missed an opportunity to make their BES compatible with other OS's, something that is now being down by other companies. I think they'll eventually serve only niche markets
edit on 6/17/2011 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
The stock has plummeted. The shares went from $39 a share to $25.

www.huffingtonpost.ca...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bartholomeo

I actually do not believe that they would authorize such things, just the share fact that it would cause massive amounts of protests and several other situations that would rather not be considered.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
Well well Mr Obama where are the promises of new jobs and recovery hmmmmmmmmmmmm? Looks like you got some explanin'

This bipartisan whining about the puppets is getting really tiresome. I hope they crash America soon so I don't get to hear crap like this.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal

What does Obama have to do with a failing Canadian tech company?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Finalized

The iPhone is not even that revolutionary. It's a dinosaur compared to Japanese phones. It's all about marketing and hype. Which Apple became very good at. They don't even make the phones unlike Nokia and Samsung.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

i know, right? I have friends who go to rural india every winter to work with an NGO. He said even rural Indians with very little income have better phones than in N. America. And at a fraction of the cost.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Why a pull solution? You do realize Android and iPhone both support ms exchange active sync push email. Right? Android can do anything a blackberry can do email wise and better. Oh yeah the email isn't truncated either! RIM is done.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

edit on 20-6-2011 by JetRanger because: Duplicate post.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by JetRanger

Why a pull solution? You do realize Android and iPhone both support ms exchange active sync push email. Right? Android can do anything a blackberry can do email wise and better. Oh yeah the email isn't truncated either! RIM is done.

Had to do a pull because my company isn't using a MS Exchange solution for email, it's using the most horrible disgusting other option that exists.... setting up your own push with that isn't so easy.

new topics

top topics

join