It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex spy: Bush White House pressed CIA to dig up dirt on Iraq war critic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I did a title search and did not see this article. That is hard to believe. Here it is.

Ex spy: Bush White House pressed CIA to dig up dirt on Iraq war critic

Did the Bush White House press U.S. intelligence agencies to gather damaging personal information on a prominent critic of the Iraq war? That's what one former CIA official alleges, in an interview with the New York Times.

Glenn Carle, who was a top counterterrorism official during the Bush administration, charged that in 2005, the White House asked both the CIA and another intelligence agency, the National Intelligence Council (NIC), to dig up dirt on Juan Cole (pictured), a Middle East expert and University of Michigan professor. Cole writes a well-known blog, which has been sharply critical of the Iraq war.

In response, Cole wrote that Carle's allegations "come as a visceral shock," and called for a congressional investigation.

U.S. intelligence agencies are prohibited from collecting information on the activities of American citizens inside the United States. "Obviously, it would be illegal for CIA to collect any non-publicly available information, derogatory or otherwise, on a US citizen … simply because of that person's expressed political beliefs," John Rizzo, who was the CIA's acting general counsel during the period at issue, told The Lookout, via email.

Rizzo said he had no recollection of any of his agency colleagues drawing his attention to efforts to gather information on Cole.

Rizzo also questioned why New York Times reporter James Risen had failed to seek comment from him for the story. Instead, Risen quoted Jeffrey Smith, a former top lawyer for the CIA who left the agency during the Clinton administration, on the legality of domestic spying. "Jeff Smith is a great lawyer and good friend, but I am the guy on whose watch this supposedly happened," wrote Rizzo. "Odd."

(In his comments to the Times, Smith said, "The statute makes it very clear: you can't spy on Americans.")

Risen, a Pulitzer-winning reporter, was recently subpoenaed by the Justice Department after refusing to name his sources for a 2006 book on the CIA. He did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Lookout.

In the Times report, Carle describes two separate episodes suggesting an effort to gather negative information on Cole, initiated by the White House.

In one, Carle says he was shown an email from a CIA analyst, seeking advice on an assignment. The analyst had been directed by a top CIA official to gather information on Cole.

Intelligence officials told the Times that the assignment had ultimately come from John Negroponte, at the time the director of national intelligence, who had been asked by the White House to find out why Cole had been invited to CIA conferences.

The CIA told the Times it never provided any damaging information on Cole.

But Carle, who retired in 2007, claims that his supervisor at the NIC did. He described a separate episode in which that supervisor, David Low, asked him in 2005: "What do you think we might know about [Cole], or could find out that could discredit him?"

According to Carle, Low continued: "Does he drink? What are his views? Is he married?" Carle said he later saw a memo from Low to the White House, which included "inappropriate, derogatory remarks" about Cole's lifestyle.

"I certainly would not have been a party to something like that," Low told the Times. He acknowledged that he had been curious about Cole but said he didn't remember specifics.

Cole told the Times that the White House "must have been dismayed at what a boring life I lead."

Cole declined to comment further to The Lookout, saying via email that he was traveling abroad. But in a post on his blog Thursday, he wrote that Carle's allegations "come as a visceral shock," and called for a congressional investigation.

"Like Mr. Carle, I am dismayed at how easy it seems to have been for corrupt [White House] officials to suborn CIA personnel into activities that had nothing to do with national security abroad and everything to do with silencing domestic critics," Cole wrote.

If Carle's allegations are true, it wouldn't be the only time that the Bush White House sought to undermine Iraq war critics. After Ambassador Joe Wilson wrote a 2003 op-ed that poured cold water on the notion that Saddam Hussein was seeking to build weapons of mass destruction, White House officials leaked the name of his wife, Valerie Plame, an undercover CIA operative, to reporters.

news.yahoo.c om/s/yblog_thelookout/20110616/ts_yblog_thelookout/ex-spy-bush-white-house-pressed-cia-to-dig-up-dirt-on-iraq-war-critic

I see alot of Obama bashing lately. I thought I would bring back an old memory of old GW. I think that this is kind of funny. In a relative sense. Not funny that the wars are a quagmire.

edit on 16-6-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Oh, you mean the 3rd Bush Term on Steroids!

How many wars are we in now? Where is Code Pink and Cindy Sheehan now?

Oh, nevermind, Warmongering is OK if there is a "D" behind the name.

LOL... hypocrisy at it's finest.

Would Obama do the same thing? Who knows, don't see any of those "War Critics" anymore.
edit on 16-6-2011 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Would Obama do the same thing? Who knows, don't see any of those "War Critics" anymore.

Agreed.

I wonder why that is. Where is Cindy Shenan? (I have no idea how to spell her last name)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Man, I thought the Bush haters were going to eat this up. It amazes me how fast information loses it's "coolness". I think it would be a different story if it were about Obama.

Oh well, Everybody have a nice night, morning, evening, or lunch. Where ever you are.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

LOL, Most of the "Bush Haters" are eating crow now that their guy is as bad or worse...... Pretty much, 3rd Bush term.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

As long as a president shares their party affiliation, most organized Democrats have no trouble cheering for a leader, who lies, starts illegal wars, disregards his promises and acts like he is above the law.

This hypocrisy is repugnant and you are correct to point it out. But with Cindy Sheehan you have named the wrong person.

Cindy Sheehan never stopped in her activism against US empire. She is and was very critical of Obama and has not hidden her views in her lectures, writings, protests and own radio show. In fact she saw the disguised warmonger Obama and warned the voters before the 2008 elections.

It is not her fault, that her opposition is nowadays only rarely covered by the MSM.
dandelionsalad.wordpress.com...

The organisation Code Pink is less critical of Obama than Cindy Sheehan. In fact Code Pinke seemed to have spared Obama after the elections. Nonetheless Code Pink has frequently attacked the Obama-administration. Just take a look at the actions undertaken by this organisation.
www.codepink4peace.org...
edit on 17-6-2011 by Drunkenshrew because: code pink text edited

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker

LOL, Most of the "Bush Haters" are eating crow now that their guy is as bad or worse...... Pretty much, 3rd Bush term.

I have to give you a big LOL on that one. As bad or worse? I hardly think so. The economy will take years to recover from the damage Bush and the republicans have done to it to serve their cronies. The only wars I know about are the ones Bush started not Obama. Seems you are doing an awful lot of "wishful" thinking on your part.
"As bad or worse"? Who told you that? Sean Hannity? Rush Limbaugh? Fox News?

edit on Fri June 17th, 2011 by damwel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Well, thank you all for your input.

I thought for sure there would be a few more comments.

Stars for all of you.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
For real.

I cannot believe this.

I just did a search on the GW bashing threads and it is unreal.

I think I waisted my time here.

I was just looking for someone to say he sucks.

new topics

top topics

join