It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgia Governor shipping in criminals to fill in vacant farm hand jobs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

After enactment of House Bill 87, a law designed to drive illegal immigrants out of Georgia, state officials appear shocked to discover that HB 87 is, well, driving a lot of illegal immigrants out of Georgia.

“I believe this would be a great partial solution to our current status as we continue to move towards sustainable results with the legal options available,” Deal said in his statement.

The governor’s suggestion comes days after Georgia’s agriculture commissioner, Gary Black, delivered to Deal a survey that found state farm owners have 11,080 jobs they now need to fill.

The vast majority of those jobs pay $15 per hour or less and last between one and six months, Black’s survey found.

Jerry Gonzalez, the executive director of the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials, said the move won’t help save farmers he said could lose $300 million because of the loss of migrant workers.

“This points to complete out-of-touch perspective that some of our legislators and our leadership in this state have with regard to the current immigration crisis we are facing,” Gonzalez said. “The governor is really shortchanging on solutions for our number one industry.”

Read more: www.politico.com...

So here we have it, in a state with unemployment rate soaring near 10% the Governor has to send convicted criminals to fill in the now vacant jobs. This law is not only driving out illegal immigrants but also legal ones.

This is what happens when people are so consumed with punishing a group of vulnerable people that play a vital role in our economy and not even consider offering them humane alternatives, you end up hurting your own state's economy.

I expect these job listings to continue to be ignored by legal residents and USC's, Georgia has an unemployment rate of 10% so you would figure that people would be lining up to apply for these positions but sadly that's not the case, the Governor has to send in former criminals and current ones to fill these vacant spots.

Kind of ironic tbh
edit on 6/16/2011 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 6/16/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

and now farmers have to deal with felons instead of immigrants.. makes a # load of sense if you ask me

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Not sure who I prefer my vacant hand jobs from...

Immigrants or criminals?

Just kidding. I agree with the above poster though. They are really just replacing one set of problems for another.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Well I'm unemployed and I would take one of those jobs. If all of the illegals were gone and if Americans would stop being so prideful and arrogant, this wouldn't be a problem. we need to starting helping each other because when tshtf that's all we got.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
they are both one in the same

illegals are criminals and criminals are criminals

however fill jobs with criminals is stupid.

alot of peopele are out of work and need jobs and i am talking about legal american citizen without a pot to pee in.

people dont get it whether its state government or federal instead of creating solutions they create the problems.

they need to wise up and get out of the way.

i swear this country has a sever lack of common sense
edit on 16-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
These jobs are $15. and below.
I would wager more towards the below part.
I wonder if Georgia has asked any of those homeless folk asking for work on street corners or one of the folks standing on the street corners holding a sign, possibly wearing a hot costume.
I wonder if these jobs are advertised at the unemployement offices.
I dunno, something stinks, I smell propaganda.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with a result of pushing out illegals and Everything to do with our entitlement systems in our country. Why the hell would people go off of welfare to work when the 'gubment' gives them money for food, provides free to low-cost housing, medical coverage blah blah. The only thing required of them is to sit and watch Montel/Oprah all day
edit on 16-6-2011 by TXRabbit because: sp

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
they are both one in the same

If you mean cheap labor lacking any rights, you're absolutely correct. Anyone honestly think that they'll do it differently next year now that the door's been opened? I suspect it'll be 'Oh, sorry, we're not hiring'.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I don't understand Americans. And I'm one of them. If I lived in Georgia, I'd take one of these jobs if I needed a job. I never could sit at home, knowing my family needed me to work, and take a small check from the government. It just wasn't in me to NOT work.How can anyone feel good about themselves NOT working when they need it and are just sitting at home?

So, unemployment about 10 percent and jobs are going unfilled. So it seems to be true. Immigrants, illegals at that, DO do the work that Americans don't want to do.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Citizens need the jobs more than prisoners...
It's still illegals, but jailed illegals doing the work, doesn't make the situation better. Punishment (?)and money given to the jails(as if they don't make enough already), sure, but what it's not going to benefit is what is needed most. More jobs.
I keep hearing of these jobs American's won't take... well, what about all of the jobs that exist no longer? In some places these jobs American's don't want are the only ones left and will be sooner or later.

The thing is, Americans are afraid to take these jobs, and to say not everyone in the USA is lazy...
The Mexican illegals are worked to death by chemicals on some of these farms. Case in point, when I lived in So. FL, I learned that esp. in Palm Beach, Florida had farms filled with migrant workers in the fields. Locals knew about this and such shy-ed away from the jobs as well as the farms knew it would be very out in the open if American citizens turned up with cancer. Many of the worker's children as well as themselves suffered from and suffer still by cancers from the chemicals.
Here's a source on it.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

We (legal workers) are slowly being replaced... by criminals who will be paid next to nothing. Now corporations have a profit interest in converting as much of the population as possible from free citizens to inmates. They can make more room in the prisons by sending a bunch to work camps so you have more room to arrest more people to send to work camps... Is this how they will solve the economic crisis? On the backs of cheap labor?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

We (legal workers) are slowly being replaced... by criminals who will be paid next to nothing. Now corporations have a profit interest in converting as much of the population as possible from free citizens to inmates. They can make more room in the prisons by sending a bunch to work camps so you have more room to arrest more people to send to work camps... Is this how they will solve the economic crisis? On the backs of cheap labor?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
This has nothing to do with a result of pushing out illegals and Everything to do with our entitlement systems in our country. Why the hell would people go off of welfare to work when the 'gubment' gives them money for food, provides free to low-cost housing, medical coverage blah blah. The only thing required of them is to sit and watch Montel/Oprah all day
edit on 16-6-2011 by TXRabbit because: sp

Where's the incentive? The pay is bad and it's a temporary job. The job ends in 1-6 months, so they would then have to go back on welfare if they were on it in the first place.

Why aren't people asking why there are so many low paying jobs in this country now?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
what ??? u think the illegals left
due to legislation ??? lol
They just went to work at
McDonalds as translators.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
How much does it cost a year to keep an inmate behind bars to study to become an inmate lawyer or a top chef when they are finally released into the "Real World"? Don't give them any of those options and put them all to work. They don't need pay, they get a roof over their heads and 3 meals a day. that is all a "criminal" deserves!

Put them to work in the fields as a chain gang........Go......Sheriff JOE.......

Just my .02

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7

I expect these job listings to continue to be ignored by legal residents and USC's, Georgia has an unemployment rate of 10% so you would figure that people would be lining up to apply for these positions but sadly that's not the case, the Governor has to send in former criminals and current ones to fill these vacant spots.

Why on earth would a 300lb, out of work for 3 years, crack addled, father of 13 deign to work outside in the heat? That's hard work, when holding your hand out is easy.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Why on earth would a 300lb, out of work for 3 years, crack addled, father of 13 deign to work outside in the heat? That's hard work, when holding your hand out is easy.

/TOA

Try unemployed urban folk with No means of transportation to the rural areas to get the job. Not everyone unemployed is how you so eloquently grouped them.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear

/TOA

Try unemployed urban folk with No means of transportation to the rural areas to get the job. Not everyone unemployed is how you so eloquently grouped them.

How do illegals with no drivers license get here from mexico or get to work same problem.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by the owlbear

/TOA

I notice the lack of anyone, whether "unemployed urban folk with No means of transportation" or poor and entitled, standing in line for these jobs. I'd be first in line if I was out of work. I don't care what kind of job I work, as long as I'm working and getting a paycheck. So, minus the infirm, it looks like they're all in the "not willing to do what it takes to feed themselves and their family" group, doesn't it?

/TOA

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
That's a great idea as far as "giving back to the system" that provide "free" food and lodging! Make these criminials work hard under the sun/rain/snow and know what it is like to be one with nature. After all, these are humans with some "souls" and maybe the incentive to do something "good" with their lives will give them purpose to live and look forward to something to do outdoors other than staying indoors the whole day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join