It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Careless "tweeting" costs lives -MoD UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Just found this on YouTube so I though I should share it. This reminded me of the WW2 propaganda poster "Careless talk costs lives". I never expected this of the British MoD to do something so quick as this. What is WW3 already on our doorstep that its literally coming up? I think that this is taking it a bit too far with the whole GWOT-thing.

Thoughts?

I just lol'ed at 0:40

PS I think this is the right forum for it, because it has a terrorist in it.
PPS If this has been already posted then mods feel free to delete.
PPPS This is my first proper post and I like to contribute, so please be gentle.

[editby ]edit on 16-6-2011 by MileHighClubber because: yay

edit on 16-6-2011 by MileHighClubber because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
That's just sick.

They send your kids to war and then tell you it's your fault they died cause your 'loose lips' sank their 'ship'.
Harsh stool meat that.

And let's not forget? The Mother who sees this video and after feels culpable over her child's death? She'll be the one 'President-ing' over the new group: 'Totally Wrecked After Tweeting' - Mother's against Social Networks!

One more nail in the internet pine box...

peace

edit on 16-6-2011 by silo13 because: grr

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MileHighClubber

funny, at least they are trying to have a sense of humour.... however I think it's about right, we are verging on something and I guess we just see a bit of more of things like this..

ETA: until they start censoring the net proper.

the first vid from the UKs MoD

edit on 16/6/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It's perfectly sensible, though not sure how effective the ad campaign will be, I would have thought it obvious the risks of blabbing around. I really can’t see why anyone would object to this.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I know right?
I may not live in the UK anymore but I thought that this was pretty stupid, especially when the terrorist came up? I cracked up laughing.

Silliness aside.

Who, in their right mind (even if they have the resources) to search the millions of UK Facebook users about any kind of info to the British army's doings?

IMAGINE...

soldier: "just took my first combat dump without getting shot at, get sum!"

No wonder I left...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Mike_A

Huh, you have a point there and I just realised that. But the whole concept just baffles me still.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
It makes sense to me that you should not be sharing something like that over the web.
Who knows, who is watching what.

Though the way they did the ad, is a tad ridiculous and made me laugh.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
More propaganda from the terrorists.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Those ads make absolutely no sense.
Wouldn't it be more sensible to make it just general dangers. Why the army/navy terrorist thing.
Is the terrorist MO to now target single military personnel or their families.

Wouldn't that just make them an invading force and not terrorists?

It really just doesn't make any sense. It's just straight up propaganda, classic style. The cheesy kind we didn't think we would see again.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MileHighClubber

OMG! When the words on the screen came up in the end:

"It may not be just friends and family reading your update... Think before you tweet..."

I just wanted to scream, oh yeah??? Well...
"It may not be just enemies you're bombing... Think before you invade!"

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Well it's good to know terrorists like a good boogie..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I think some people aren’t quite understanding the purpose of this ad, it’s directed ad security employees not the general public. There’s no propaganda here, it’s just an MoD ad meant to remind their employees to be careful about what they tell people. These kinds of things have been around for years, usually internally.

Is the terrorist MO to now target single military personnel or their families.

Actually yes, it has been since the IRA but a more a recent example would be the plot to kidnap and kill a muslim soldier.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
As an ex serviceman i see the value in this video, yes it's a bit jokey and possibly a bit too silly, however the message is valid.

Individual soldiers and their families do not need to be targeted as such, most Twitter users have had spam sent to them that is vaguely related to something they have tweeted, hell my wife had a tweet from a charity when she mentioned she'd just taken my daughter to a fundraising event!

put it this way if Banardo's can detect when you mention them in a tweet within 5 minutes, then imagine who could be watching when you mention Afghanistan?

And as a final point, back in the 70's and 80's the IRA did single out individual servicemen for information gathering.

new topics

top topics

active topics

join