It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does "bugging out" mean to you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I’m curious,
I have read numerous threads here about people standing by with their B.O.B. “Bug Out Bag” and other emergency items. The one overarching mantra among most of the would be survivalists on this website and others is that when the SHTF they are simply going to GO, GET OUT, BUG OUT, DISAPPEAR, whatever that means.
Okay, that’s all well and good, but where are they/ you going to go? No, wait don’t tell me that, it isn’t important. After all this post is about my curiosity in regards to what one is expecting from a SHTF scenario NOT where one will evac to.

There was a time back in 2008 when you could say I “officially” woke up, and it was also at that time that I became excessively paranoid and even scared as a result of my “awakening”.
It was during that year that I decided to create a bug out bag/ assault pack, myself. The reason was the same as everyone else. I even had an idea about where I would go and how to get there.

I had just ETSed from the military the prior year and through a rather expensive scam managed to keep most of my gear; such as body armor, several variety of headgear, a couple of large rucks and a lot of other stuff. So I figured I was well prepared to do what needed to be done (Again, whatever that means).

In fact I had more than I needed. I had a lot of experience in outdoor living and escape and evasion knowledge that I considered to be useful at the time, so I felt I was ready to go.
That being said it might be important to consider what I had perceived to be a SHTF scenario. Looking back on it I will freely admit that my immediate views were illogical. I found myself going against my own knowledge base and understanding about how both local and federal governments perform operations in a crisis or government takeover situation. I blame the fear mongers for that, since so much disinfo is out there it can be confusing for the newly awakened.

I thought that I would have to be ready at a moment’s notice. I thought that I may be able to watch a martial law takeover for perhaps a few days as I lay low waiting for my moment to escape. I figured I would have to do it on foot, as there would be checkpoints or the city would be on lock down.
I prepared dark clothing for night movement and planned out 12 different routes that would take me all over Gods country for Pete’s sake.
I ultimately figured that I would have to survive away from the city, hidden in the forest wet and cold since if I were to light a fire thermal imagery might have found my area of operation. I even planned for convoy highjackings to gather supplies if I were to ever run into other………people like me.

My point in all this is that my immediate reasoning about SHTF scenarios is strangely enough very similar to other people I ask about it to this day. I of course no better now I think but the less experienced find themselves following popular survivalist culture, akin to the bomb shelter craze during the 60s missile crisis.

But the one point that should be considered is just how outrageous such thinking is. Not that such things as the above couldn’t happen, but the likelihood of them happening in a short period of time are damn near astronomical; moreover that they would even gain momentum to proceed with such tactics (They, being the government) is just as slim.

Unless a foreign military were to have taken over the perception I had about “Bugging out” was all jacked up.
With that being said I think it is important for people to really consider what exactly bugging out is and to make sure they are prepared for the reality of the situation rather than the irrational speculation and theorizing that is proliferating alternative media. Luckily for me sanity prevailed and I managed to stay calm and do vet internet information.

I think terms like bug out are used way too often, and too carelessly by people with probably no experience whatsoever with evasive tactics and or outdoor living, if that is what the situation may require. IMO people should carefully examine their limitations and be realistic in their expectations.
With that being said,…What does Bugging out mean to you, and why?

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
The term Bugging- out, is used by the controllers as a term of belittlement. They use it to represent someone who has lost the ability to reason and make rationale decisions. Possibley making them a danger to themselves and others.

When the reality of the situation is what they refer to as bugging-out, is actually bugging-in. Becoming aware of what is going on around you, will cause you to act differently to the herd, this must be stopped by the controllers before the rest of the herd take notice in any large numbers.

Words are very powerful, English words are very powerful, They fight with words, attacking our brains, making us defeat ourseleves without them having to lift a finger.

In short- I am glad that you are bugging out man, and i feel a strong kinship in spirit. Peace

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Considering that I live in a rural area rich in farmland, forests full of wildlife (invluding boar and dear) a river at he bottom of the road and a well in the garden and all my haeting and cooking is done with wood stoves and furnaces, that coupled with my house being well defendable and the village as a whole, easy to cut off and defend, I will not be bugging out unless absolutely unavoidable.

Sorry, one hell of a sentence there. What I am saying is, my equipment and resources are all at home and my home will become my castle. I can lock the place down, close the heavy oak shutters on the ground floor and literally defend the castle.

This beats having to load up and haul out.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

The question I'd have is how do you know WHEN to 'bug out'.
I know this will depend on whats coming (martial law, comets, fire and brimstone-choose your end of the world scenario here) but when is the moment you say to yourself-right, Im off to the hills?

I agree that its not a bad idea to have some routes planned or some safe areas you can go to.
I've already mapped out where I would go based on two different scenarios and I have a 7 day b.o.b

Is this all necessary or is it just to make me feel better-give me piece of mind? Who knows?
All I know is that if something does happen and I have time to react, I'll possibly have a better chance with my small preparations. Maybe

It cant hurt to be at least some way prepared

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

Exactly.
Though I was referring more to those living in the city. Your point is an example of how we should all be both prepared and experienced in living.
The problem that I find with a lot of these people is that they are completely out of it mentally when it comes to preparedness. They usually don't have a balance of choices available to them thanks to media misrepresenting itself way too often.

I have seen people showing of their items, where they were over the top on weaponry and had two bottles of water, to fit in their bag. Or on the other side of the coin, pop tarts, Cheetos, beef jerky, and koolaid packets because they thought it was saving space,.....they didn't have water dumbasses!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
i see you guys are more thinking material bugging out, i was thinking along a material and spiritual route, just to clarrify

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by soundofathousandbirds

Thats the million dollar question, when is the right time indeed.
For me I at that time, assumed that i would watch television as much as possible maybe take a few strolls around the area and see what constraints were laid down. At which point I would then if the situation deemed it necessary would evacuate to my secondary hiding spot.

But I think people spend too much time thinking about running away and not enough time preparing internally. What I mean by that is, buying an extra can of food whenever you go to the store and place it in your closet. Eventually you will have a reasonable amount of food in a moderately well defended structure that you can control. It sure beats the hell out of jumping ship and heading into the wilderness.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by LIERS

Elaborate please.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
All that stuff you listed is not what I would consider bugging out. That stuff is gonna happen gradually (if at all) and there would be signs prior to it actually happening that you would be able to get out way before it did. (if you keep informed and watch out for them).

My bugging out would be for after an ELE event. If I survived, I would need certain tools/resources to keep on surviving. That is what I would be preparing for.

And I haven't prepared for it yet. I probably never would. But I realized something the other day. I am not preparing for MY survival, I am preparing for the survival of the human race. So, I am gonna set up a bug out bag. Not on the basis that I am gonna survive an ELE event, but on the basis that if someone does survive, and is looting homes/ areas for items to survive with, they will find a nice little package waiting for them when they get to my home. I might even attach an encouraging note to it.

Lol...I am thinking of it as my final donation to man kind. Heck, I give to red cross, united way, and other organizations, might as well give to the people who are strong enough to get through something like that.

Cuz, bottom line is, I don't wanna be here without my family, and I don't want my family to have to go through the aftermath of such event. So, if a ELE does occur. I just wanna go quick and painless. But I do want to help out those who survive.

my 2 cents.......

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Humm, should I have to bugout, I would load the RV with what I think would be the basics to survive. Seeds for planting, mass water filtration kit, collapseable water containers, fuel drums, waepons and trapping equipment, clothing and other misc equipment and a big sewing kit for running repairs. The roofbox of the RV already contains a camo net to blend it into the tree line, as I do not like to be too visable when I am out camping.

When you reach you bugout location, you may want to place several layers of defence. I suggesdt reading some history books, as yo uare going to be living in similar conditions to those of the middle ages. Found out how they survived and defended their homesteads.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

I do like your style of thinking. However, I will do what I can to protect my loved ones and those in our local community. No-one, who truly needed help would be turned away.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

When it comes to an ELE I wont bug out..probably. I have contingencies for disasters that may occur and where I live that includes tsunamis and volcanoes. But in the event of extinction my options just took a nose dive.

I was a soldier so my mentality is unfortunately combative in nature. When I think bug out I think escape and evade and fight when I have to. Strange, but I like the way peoples idea of things are so diverse. It is really telling.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Thats cuz you have training for all that. I have training for crunching numbers and selling goods. You have seen some harsh realities that I only watch on t.v. and haven't had any real life experiences with (i'm assuming)

What you know to be true, I can't even imagine could occur. Bottom line, I can only prepare for what I imagine could happen.

And quite honestly, I can only imagine needing to bug out for an ELE. Maybe that is unrealistic and naive, but that is the only thing I can see preparing one for.

Now if it comes down to fighting for a specific cause, or martial law comes in to effect. I will take up arms and fight for the side I think is right. (probably last about 2 minutes without proper training, but at least I stood up for what I think is right)lol

point is, it is because of your training/experience you think that way, and because of my lack of training/experience, that I think mine. I do know that I would want you to survive it more than me, as you would have a better chance of staying alive more than I would after all is said and done.

Great, now I gotta go get survival training...this is becoming too much work already

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

If my family survived, I would do everything it takes to keep them alive, but I honestly don't think I could bear living without them. So, if they didn't survive, I wouldn't want to be around either.

I agree, I would do everything I could to help everyone I could after the fact. But if I don't survive, my last donation to the human race is gonna be to leave a bag of survival goodies for the people that do.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

LOL
Great points, I think people are adaptable to some degree but also very specific to their handling of environmental stimuli. Some like myself, though I have training, would find myself with the short end of the stick when it comes to mechanical knowledge, crunching numbers, and what not. So while one could survive in one aspect a weakness in the other will find that person screwed.

I think this is all the more reason to band together and share abilities and skills. It has worked for thousands of years so why not do it right? After all a persons ability to learn is what allows them to not only survive but also to thrive in an otherwise ruthless environment.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

That is the one determining factor in my personal ability to survive any situation.
I have to consider that I must take care of my 6 year old daughter. Often, too often in fact I envision myself as a lone wolf survivor forgetting that I have to carry extra weight.
Wow, when I say it like that I sound like an ass. I simply mean I have to put someone else before me, and if anything happened to her, i doubt I would care too much about surviving one way or the other.
I also have to consider that not everyone knows how to push themselves when they are mentally and physically exhausted, and the tactics I use on myself will not work to motivate others.

Damn all these factors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

But than the "who do you trust" comes into play. In a martial law scenario, you would easily be able to determine who is your foe. In a ELE event, you wouldn't know who to trust and who not to.

How do you determine who is safe and who is not?

The best little bug out bag you could have to ensure your survival is your 6 year old daughter
She might even become the sole (sp) reason your mentally fit enough to get through a survival situation. Added weight, yes, but your right, she is the only thing that would keep you going. and without her, your mental state might be so bad that you would be unable to continue.

On topic: why would you prepare a bug out bag for martial law/civil unrest? I seriously have no knowledge as to why this would be a important reason to have one for....

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by blend57

Exactly.
honestly that little thing Lone Archer said in the post above went against my grain, though I understand the reasoning completely.

Lone archer said that she /he would be generous with all she /he had and no one would be turned away. From my standpoint I can in a survival situation only think about myself and my daughter, that's it. i would however help someone that could in another way help me as well. In other words you scratch my back and Ill scratch yours.

Honestly I took that way too far a few years ago. I have since found another way, and that is, move to an environment that has no winter so to speak and where people are historically known to be generous with what they have, and where what they have has historically been limited. Now I am ahappy camper.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I know what you mean. I am ex-military too. We had a saying. "Don't leave home if you don't need to" Meaning your fire base was more secure than going out on patrol. Sure patrols were necessary, but...............
edit on 16/6/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I live on a mini farm out in the middle of nowhere...
for me bugging out means leaving work early going home... feeding the chickens, making sure the livestock is safe then locking the front door and looking out for unwanted strangers

<<   2 >>

join