It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK juror just got 8 months in prison because of facebook... and stupidity..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

A juror who contacted a defendant via Facebook, causing a £6m drugs trial to collapse, has been jailed for eight months for contempt of court.

Joanne Frail outside court
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d4a875837f7.jpg[/atsimg]

London's High Court heard that Fraill, 40, of Blackley, Greater Manchester, had contacted Jamie Sewart, 34, who had already been cleared in the drugs case.

Jamie Stewart
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df39e0f6b5ad.jpg[/atsimg]

Because other defendants were still on trial at the time of the contact between Fraill and Sewart, the judge decided to discharge the jury and the drugs case in Manchester, which cost £6m collapsed

An exerpt from some of their conversation.

Frail also said: "At least then yer all home n dry."

And Sewart responded: "Ha ha, ur mad. I really appreciate everythin. If i cud of kissed u all i would of done ha ha."

She went on to say: "Keep in touch and I'll get u a nice pressie..."

The pair agreed to become Facebook friends after the trial.

what was this woman thinking? What possessed her to contact someone from the trial she was on.. and giving details about it to the defendant.. i have no sympathy for her, it was a very stupid thing to do and she knew it too, as she says in one of here exchanges with stewart.

it also goes to show the way the internet revolution is moving so fast and the world really is changing. if you told someone 10 years ago that a member of a jury could find and contact someone that is on trial, with the touch of a button and from the comfort of their own home.. they wouldn't believe you..

just seen this story on bbc news and they are say she contacted her because she felt sorry for her.. and they are also talking again about all our fears.. policing the internet..

for full bbc article, please follow link.
BBC

edit on 16/6/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Worst part is this juror contacted her while they were at the courts too and admitted to doodling pictures instead of taking notes on the case laid out before the rest of the jury and those present in the courtroom.

You'd think a 40 year old would have the common sense we as a race are meant to be born with but the older I get, the more I realise how stupid people are.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
It's all one big reality show to them.

There's no such thing as an impartial jury to try you objectively.

Jurors are the lowest of the lowest common denominator and they dont care about where they are or what they're doing.

Another great strike against the justice system.

What's a jury of your peers worth when they're all morons? Would make me feel real secure if I were on trial.

join