It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids, mobile phones and that annoying tinny music pumping? Marking their territory it would appear!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

It's not strange.

I was direct and straight forward.

You were indirect and rude as well.

You were being rude to someone who is being rude.

How is that not hypocrisy?!

You talk # behind peoples back, then say they don't have the courage to speak speak out against an old man?!

Are you honestly not seeing the character flaws here?!

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Personally, I can not stand anyone blaring their music. No matter what age they are or what kind of music they blast. I especially can not stand it when I am in my own home and their music floods my place! I have these new neighbors that like to park their truck right next to my kitchen window, open all the doors and BLAST their stupid music while they do yard work! And because it is on their property, I have put up with it. I like peace and quite in my own home. Yet, my neighbors freedom to listen to music seems to always win. Hearing it in public is one thing, but when it starts to leak into your home is a whole other matter!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

+1 for logic.

The other posters are just retarded. If there was any real intent to fix the supposed problem, you would go directly to the source to correct it. Like when the air conditioning starts to get too cold and you need to get up and go turn it down... you don't just sit there and start talking sht about it. You actually go, get up, and turn it down.

People need how to learn how to be proactive, not reactive.

edit -
I would even argue that those very same posters who like to giggle and talk sht behind, or in front of, peoples faces while they're listening to music are the rotten ones. At least they (those listening to music) are minding their own business! You're the one who's all grumpy because you have nothing to do on the subway or bus other than sticking your nosy self into the business/lives of total strangers... just saying.

edit on 16-6-2011 by Nastradamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

I do not pretend to know the first thing about how kids , in any generation felt about a particular cultural convention. Where pumping music out loud is concerned, I remember when I was a child my parents would put on records... some comedy like the Goon Shows, and Max Boyce, and also hymns and choral music, rock n roll, seventies disco, and hard rock. They put these records on loud enough that we could hear it in all the rooms of the house, but not that loud that they caused a disturbance in the street we lived in.

Even though I am a bloody great metal head, when I play my bass, I wear earphones, or use only a quater of my pracitce amps capabilities, because to do more would be unacceptable , and would represent an infringement upon others, whose tastes will differ from my own. It is not my right to force my musical preferences on others. I have personaly NEVER made that much noise that someone has come to my door and asked me to turn it down, and I have never used a music device on the bus,without having my earphones in.

In fact, the only time that I can recall having music out side my own home, or a friends home, at a volume which could be heard by others, was when my friends and I were at a (very) heavy metal festival. When the bands were done for the night, we would get the stereo out of the tent, and thrash out and get messed up for a few more hours before going to bed for the night. At a heavy metal festival of that sort, most of the folks who go there arent expecting a nights sleep, but are more than likely to accept Canibal Corpse - Hammer Smashed Face as a lullaby than anything by sodding Brahms!!

I get to do that again in August. Cant wait... but in terms of the subject matter, territory marking by music is possibly the most futile gesture you can possibly make. I make my territory clear by the way I move, the way I comport myself, and the way I look at persons I suspect of being the sort to make life less plesant. I see no reason to oppress others with sound, or with any other damn thing.

The best way to mark ones territory in my book, is to do absolutely nothing to warn a person that they are getting too close. Lessons are best learned when learned fast, and hard, and while shocked out of ones comfort zone. That kind of lesson, is lessened (ooh thats dangerously close to poetic) when a warning is given.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nastradamus

You are correct. It is the whole villages job to raise the crackheads kids. Common courtesy is my job to instill on the thugs and hooligans in my town.

Maybe after i get them to turn down the music while talking to people so they don't have to yell, I can get them to pull up their pants so i don't have to see stained underwear. Or hold down jobs to pay for the kids they had with their 14 year old girlfriend.
edit on 16-6-2011 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
when I used to take the bus I remember once the driver or passengers got them to turn it off, they would proceed to start rapping out loud. and they generally love to do that when an elderly person is around them, and then rap the most vulgar lyrics possible.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Reply to post by Nastradamus

They aren't simply minding their own business.

They're projecting their business into the lives of those around them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

What amazes me is that you can boast about creepy behaviour like this.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I love when people feel compelled to enforce the imaginary rules of public behavior on others.

As annoying as tinny music and bad attitudes may be, the bus belongs to the city and the city does not care that the youths are troubling the citizens with their music boxes.

Until such time that one is able to invest and own their own private bus company, in which time you can make the rules all you want. Until that time, I'd suggest either purchasing your own music device of choice and tune them out with your Bon Jovi collection, or just learning to ignore it.

I've heard the youths get a bit crazy when people disrespect their disrespect.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MelvinTheMad
I love when people feel compelled to enforce the imaginary rules of public behavior on others.

As annoying as tinny music and bad attitudes may be, the bus belongs to the city and the city does not care that the youths are troubling the citizens with their music boxes.

Until such time that one is able to invest and own their own private bus company, in which time you can make the rules all you want. Until that time, I'd suggest either purchasing your own music device of choice and tune them out with your Bon Jovi collection, or just learning to ignore it.

I've heard the youths get a bit crazy when people disrespect their disrespect.

I the UK mate.. all of the bus services ARE privately owned.. the government both local and national has no control over them or their "onboard" policies.

I know that Barton's for one has a policy of not interfering with other passengers.. and this covers noise and physical contact as well as strong odours and the like.

I now live in Australia tho.. and its just the same here.. all privatised bus services without gov controlls.

Government could, I spose, ban the use of mobiles as music devices on public transport but they are yet to do so... however.. i do know that this has been discussed in parliament before.

Anyway.. back to the subject matter..

This thread is about the use of mobile music being used to "mark territory" just like a dog that takes a pee on his usual fire hydrant.

Do you agree with the findings of the research? Or do we all just think its a load of BS?

Note: just to cover my own behind.. I do not condone the use of violence targeted at minors. I do not engage in any physical negative behaviour towards these kids.. i merely put them on notice which is usually enough and the sudden threat of loosing their precious mobile or ipod is usualy enough to make them turn it off.

I dont have to be a bully about it... i just stand up for everyone else on the bus who is noticeably annoyed at the music and behaviour. Usually you get the support of fellow riders (99% of the time) sometimes you even get a clap and a cheer!

I dont think its wrong to do this in the way that I do.. I dont think its a bad thing to learn respect from randoms provided its done correctly.. and lets face it.. its just a respect issue. Many have already stated in this thread that they wont pump their own music as they know it infringes on neighbours and other locals privacy and right to peace.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax

What amazes me is that you can boast about creepy behaviour like this.

I don't understand your amazement.

Perhaps you think that you aren't being rude when you blare your music on the bus?

And that is why you are pretending to be 'amazed'?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by w3nd1g0
A very nice interesting read... however.. it still wont stop me marking my territory on the bus/train when i tell those little ****'s to turn it off or its out the window.... which hasnt failed me yet hehehe

Occasionally i am met with abuse when telling them this..

Your thoughts on these annoying brats and their poor use of the word expression?

I think that they're going to end up just like the annoying dude who thinks it's cool to threaten to assault and mug people for listening ot music he dislikes. congratulations, you're a trend-setter!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by w3nd1g0

My apologies, I assumed you were from the US - my bad.

Honestly, in regards to the findings, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the marking of territory. It's just human disregard, no different from when youths walk out into the middle of traffic like they own the street and make it hazardous for the rest of us driving.

It's the Me Generation, and that's who they are most concerned with.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by w3nd1g0
Source

Well.. If you've ever been annoyed by those kids on the bus/train who are pumping crappy tinny sounding music way too loud from their tiny mobile devices... then you will be interested in this post.

It would appear that research is showing that this is typical territory marking behaviour. The article gives a good example of a women over 50 been left feeling a lack of confidence when faced with the loud music as it is not to her taste or mood at the time.

A very nice interesting read... however.. it still wont stop me marking my territory on the bus/train when i tell those little ****'s to turn it off or its out the window.... which hasnt failed me yet hehehe

Occasionally i am met with abuse when telling them this.. but I guess it only adds power to the research by adding to the "territory marking" theory. We do have issues with gangs of local kids here attacking older gents.. but i dont think that is related to territory.. i put that down to stupidity and peer pressure.. amongst other things of course.

Your thoughts on these annoying brats and their poor use of the word expression?

Peace

P.S I do however remember blaring my music out loud when i was a youngster and not giving a toss if the olds were offended... oh how we change as we get older and see wisdom where there was none and annoyance where once there was joy! *sigh* ooooh my back and my knees!!!!

Yours feeling old and grumpy at ripe old age of 33!

w3nd1g0

If you ever attempted to touch my personal property I can assure you, it would be you who ended up out that window, nothing of mine.

Grumpy old men who talk big on online boards but won't do anything in the real world, nothing to see here folks, move along.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Perhaps you think that you aren't being rude when you blare your music on the bus?

I don’t travel by bus. And even if I did, I wouldn’t be ‘blaring music’ on one. I am a musician, and I deplore the use of music as costume jewellery or a form of interior decoration. I play music for those who want to hear it. Music in public places irritates me unless it is being played live – and sometimes even then.

The behaviour you describe is mean, cowardly, hypocritical and despicable. It is unacceptable no matter what the cause. Decent people do not indulge in it.

And that is why you are pretending to be 'amazed'?

No. I am merely amazed that someone should (apparently) be so ethically impaired as actually to boast of behaving in the way you say you behaved. Don’t you realize how grotesque you are making yourself seem to others? Far worse than anyone who merely plays tinny mobile phone music on a bus.

edit on 17/6/11 by Astyanax because: it was necessary to distinguish between what is deplored and what is despised.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Why so mad?

Are you one of those types who blares their music on the buss?

Did an old man emasculate you when you did that? Or something?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
To be honest, the headphones aren't really the problem, unless they have really, really crappy headphones.

it is when they use the internal speaker so that the whole world can take part in their fine taste of music, such as the Yin Yang Twins, and their fine rendition using the words 'SKEET!!! SKEET!! SKEET!!!". I think that one, in particular, is a favorite of children all over the world.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I have already answered both your questions.

It seems you cannot understand why the behaviour you boast of is morally despicable and a hundred times more offensive than the blarers’. Thus we may still attribute this creepiness to honest ignorance. That is the only reason I am still bothering to reply to you.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
morally despicable

You should save those words for when something morally despicable actually happens.

When you call talking about someone who is being rude 'morally despicable', you debase the meaning of the words. It looks like you are just trying to be outraged or ill or something.

Perhaps you should save those words for an appropriate time.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join