It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA Web site down; LulzSec claims responsibility

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

CIA Web site down; LulzSec claims responsibility

news.cnet.com

The CIA's public Web site is inaccessible this afternoon, and the hacking group Lulz Security is taking for responsibility for taking it offline.

Shortly before 3 p.m. PT, LulzSec tweeted: "Tango down - cia.gov - for the lulz"

And indeed, the world's most famous spy agency is currently without an official Web presence, as of about 20 minutes after Lulzsec's tweet--cia.gov returns an error message.

Read more: news.cnet.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
nakedsecurity.sophos.com
latimesblogs.latimes.com[ /url]
[url=http://www.google.co.uk/url?url=technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/06/15/6868568-hacking-group-lulzsec-says-it-takes-out-cia-website&rct=j&sa=X &ei=oDr5TcuIB4ur8AP5lZy8Cw&ved=0CDoQ-AsoADAB&q=CIA+down+lulzsec&usg=AFQjCNHnkWpDo2nkQD6VRN6bFt8Nx6mRNQ]www.google.co.uk

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Well after several cyber attacks on large companies and organisations by Anonymous and lulzsec, this seems to be their biggest one yet.

I'm not sure if we accept this at face value, or like the Middle East uprisings we look for a hidden hand that creates the problem/reaction/solution cycle?

Pushing tighter controls on internet freedoms and access by offering to "help" the public against these 'dangerous hackers' ?

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Already a post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Ok, so these "freedom fighters" want to attack Govt. websites right after Pentagon calls it a cyber war?
And some of you people call them noble organizations?

Why not last presidential term, why only after Obama's Kill Switch and why on after the Pentagon said it's acts of war?

People really need to stop listening to the manifesto of these hacktivists and start looking at their actions.

Where is the skepticism?
This is not being a conspiracy theorist, this is just following whatever masquerades itself as the opposition!
Stalin spoke of leading the opposition and history repeats itself.

Wake Up!!!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WordPlayJAy
Already a post:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In social issues?
That's just weird

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
You either gotta be really dumb or really really really smart to try to hack the CIA. If you get caught your going to jail for a long time. You'd probably never be seen again.
Yes, Cia.gov is down right now. These hackers are going to be hunted down quickly if it was actually them that did it, and the servers not just down for maintenance.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
You either gotta be really dumb or really really really smart to try to hack the CIA. If you get caught your going to jail for a long time. You'd probably never be seen again.
Yes, Cia.gov is down right now. These hackers are going to be hunted down quickly if it was actually them that did it, and the servers not just down for maintenance.

Wouldn't it depend where they are in the world, that is, if they are outside the USA?

I've read a few times that (at least some of them) may be British.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Pffffff it's just another website on the internet, it's not like they took Echelon down.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by VelvetSplash

lol it'd be even worse if they're out of the USA. They'll have an incoming drone strike soon.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I would tend to agree. Wouldn't the crime be against the internet service provider or domain host, and not the CIA itself?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I agree with Grey Magic here it is simply another website that they have taken down here, nothing bigger than that plain and simple.

Though it does make me laugh hahahaha as the government is probably pissed off as hell that this has happened.

Good for LulzSec, keep it up something needs to be done against the government, and so far the only thing that has been done is these hackers. I support you!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
no this aint a good thing

that stupidity has got to stop the only thing it will end up doing is screwing the rest of us.

government controled and regulated and censored and internet id bs.

stop buying into the agenda here and that is one being pushed by lulz and annon.

they are playing and we will all end up paying.

shun them.

there will be only 1 course of action thats what government does.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The issue here is irresponsibility lulz is taking the brunt, it could be anyone else that hacks a site and compromises data...... Riddle me this would you rather have an agency that wants to do harm or one that wants to say hey, dip #s, do your job and get yor act together? Lulz sec to me seems like they are playing good cop when no one else is.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

Seriously doubt the CIA is even in charge of the cia.gov site....as several have already pointed out just a simple web site for info nothing secret or nefarious. Lots to gain if Lulzsec is seeking publicity which I thinkl they are...whether for a good cause or just 15 minutes of fame, at this point they have not got close to the CIA but .gov sites attacked are most certainly going to get more attention than the average web page.

its only more ammo for the TPTB to use to exert more control over the web as a whole. I don't necessarily agree with the cause they are supporting at Lulzsec but you gotta give it to them for striking the hornest nest.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I am all for a 'bit of fin' when it comes to hacking, like those who hacked the Jurrasic Park movie website back in the day and changed it to jurrassic duck, complete with modified logo.

However, I had also heard a rumour that one of their targets to 'take down' was the NHS emergency line and that could result in the death of innocent people and that is beyond 'a joke'.

However, whatever they go on to do and however long their attacks last; the outcome will be bad for everyone else who uses the internet. This sort of activity will give TPTB the excuse they need to limit / police internet access for everyone in the guise of 'protecting' us and surely, these people must know this. Hence, it make me wonder if this is in fact not some 'underground' operation but perhaps a 'false flag' attack?

Just a thought...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
False flag op to blame on U.S location, cyber attack, another excuse to filter INTERNET.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

That was my point.

It is just another site, yet when you are hacking that is one of the top ones to gun at. And they DID IT!

Nothing left to say.

edit on 6/15/2011 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/15/2011 by theUNKNOWNawaits because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I'm beginning to question their motives myself. I'm not sure what to think about them after the very ballsy attacks they've committed in just the last two days.

They're starting to look more like cyber terrorists every day.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
How about cyber exposurists to those that should be protecting your information with you as a customer in their best interest. I swear if it's not lulz it will be some else guaranteed.

This is where the value bs profit barrier hits a wall.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash

Originally posted by Ghost375

Wouldn't it depend where they are in the world, that is, if they are outside the USA?

I've read a few times that (at least some of them) may be British.

Actually there are many give aways into the nationality of the anonymous collective.. certain british dialect traits i have noticed in several of their communications (eg."what you lot don't understand").. agreed not much to go on on its own.. but I have noticed several slips which point to at least a british copy writer for their announcements.

Alot of talk on the IRC network points towards british, american, lithuanian, german, spanish, french, dutch and a whole lot more.

This is a global group taking on global issues.. and not just a couple of brit kids messing around in the bedroom (like the movie wargames from teh 80's lolz).

GO ANNON! YOU CAN DO IT!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join