It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recalculating the distance to interstellar space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Data from Voyager's low-energy charged particle instrument, first reported in December 2010, have indicated that the outward speed of the charged particles streaming from the sun has slowed to zero. The stagnation of this solar wind has continued through at least February 2011, marking a thick, previously unpredicted "transition zone" at the edge of our solar system.

"There is one time we are going to cross that frontier, and this is the first sign it is upon us," said Tom Krimigis, prinicipal investigator for Voyager's low-energy charged particle instrument and Cassini's magnetospheric imaging instrument, based at the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory in Laurel, Md.

link to source

(PhysOrg.com) -- Scientists analyzing recent data from NASA's Voyager and Cassini spacecraft have calculated that Voyager 1 could cross over into the frontier of interstellar space at any time and much earlier than previously thought. The findings are detailed in this week's issue of the journal Nature.

same source

so the voyager 1 space craft may enter intergalactic space anytime now
as a person with alot of interest in the helio physics of our home star "bubble"
this "last" boundry between our space craft and the wider galaxy medium is very important
for a number of reasons.
the space inside our galaxy may have interesting properties when compaired to our local "bubble"
the properties of light "could" be effected as it trasitions into the new medium
the space craft could slow down or speed up depending on what is discovered

this really is the greatest voyage of understanding the world has ever taken
and the boundry to galactic space is soo close and the discoveries so great that
this makes it posably one of the most exciting times to be a scientist.

everything we see in the universe could be effected by what the composition of these boundries are
and what the temp, pressure, density and mangnetic properties of the larger galaxy.

folks this is really an important point in the evolution of knowledge for our species
the information derived from these wounderful space craft could and will change our world
and our universe we observe.

from the understanding of how space changes as we leave our space bubble,
we might discover we are closer to objects that "appair" further away
we might find that by knowing how our star bubble is comprised we may be able to infer those properties onto other stars we study.

this has the potential to change the very universe in a very real way, and our perception of space time.

xploder

edit on 15-6-2011 by XPLodER because: adding more

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I can't wait! I'm telling you guys, we will procreate into the depths of the universe.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Thank you for bringing this topic up again! I was aware that we were approaching the edge if the heliosphere, but I didn't know they thought we were so close! I bet we will be learning something new about the universe very soon when this happens!
This is the first time in the entire history if humanity, that we will do an experiment outside of the suns heliosphere!
The next step of course will be completing the first experiment outside of our galaxy
I may be getting ahead of myself here though.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Relative Thread here

NASA's Voyager 1 Probe May Exit Solar System Next Year

I like your title though Recalculating the Distance.

Seems some of your theories probably do hold credence even more credence than NASA's own Theories etc.

Anyone can make theories and it may be more credible or plausible than the best experts! There is still a lot of new discoveries we are making about space

Since only 2 years ago we learned the Galaxy is actually 100,000 ly across (So they say) Instead of 50,000

We should keep this thread open since your Idea is better than my presentation in my own Thread.

Peace.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

thank you very much

i did a search but the tittle was different
this is an anouncment that a recalculation has been done and the results posted at "nature"
and it looks like we are much closer to the edge than previously thought
i wounder how much lensing has to do with the recalculation of distence to the IGM

this is really exciting for me and my models

xploder

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Spooky action at a distance has been proven and renders locality obsolete.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

the interesting ideas i have are,
will our solar "bubble" look different from the outside?
is our solar bubbles outter surface reflective?
can gravity "microscope" larger images onto the outter surface of these "bubbles"?
how dense is the IGM?
how magnetic is it?
does light get modulated on its way through these boundries?

this has the ability to change the way we view the universe
both literally (optical)
and theoretically (how stuff works)

i do beleive that our concepts of gravity will be challenged

the universe is full of lens shaped bubbles

xploder

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Voyage 1 is expected to cross the heliopause by 2014.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I agree with you spot on!

while trying to explain this to a friend I came up with a useful analogy.

Take 2 people who have near perfect eyesight.
Now make them wear prescription glasses that are not meant for them.
Then have them look at each others eyes, through these two lenses, and try and gather an accurate visual assessment.
how good of a method would that be for collecting data?

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Not according to new Data!(estimates)

NASA's Voyager 1 Probe may Exit Solar System Next Year

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Lots of data has changed...

We on;y recently learned about the fluff cloud . its density can very well be bossible fur pushing the outer limits of the heliopause back closer to the sun.

exciting times non the less

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by XPLodER

I agree with you spot on!

while trying to explain this to a friend I came up with a useful analogy.

Take 2 people who have near perfect eyesight.
Now make them wear prescription glasses that are not meant for them.
Then have them look at each others eyes, through these two lenses, and try and gather an accurate visual assessment.
how good of a method would that be for collecting data?

lol well done that is a good way to explain it
as a person of poor eye site i agree

i imagine it would be like having perfect eye site then someone points out you have glasses on
you take off the glasses and realize that everything now makes sence
lol

xploder

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

Seems some of your theories probably do hold credence even more credence than NASA's own Theories etc.

it is hard for NASA because they must always be very careful that they are as right as they can be
if i am shown to be wrong i just rerun the models with the corrections factored in
so to compair is unfair as i have been wrong many times before i was right
the other point is i use the NASA data and ideas and without that i would be clueless

its easyer when being wrong is a simple redo of calculations can yeild results
but i do try to be right 100% of the time

so without NASA and their data i would have nothing interesting to add to my models

xploder

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by siren8
Spooky action at a distance has been proven and renders locality obsolete.

that is a very brouad statement
spooky action at a distence is only "spooky" because it is missunderstood
if we considered that the medium two bodies were in "expanded" that would be spooky
if we considered that the medium two bodies were in "contracted" that would be spooky

quantum entanglement is spooky

star for that

xploder

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
Lots of data has changed...

We on;y recently learned about the fluff cloud . its density can very well be bossible fur pushing the outer limits of the heliopause back closer to the sun.

exciting times non the less

ahh the "local fluff"
an unexpected cloud of energetic particles with larger than expected magnetic property
this makes me think that most of the ISM is "fluffy"

and if so this would change distence calculations

acually the local fluff could be "bubbly" as well

xploder

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

well if the outer heliosphere is bubly maybe everything is... It appears that everything is circular by nature.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

you are correct about nature likeing spheres

they "bubble" up everywhere

im starting to think that the ISM is like a "sea of bubbles"
the bubbles are "drawn" with the motion of the medium and are attracted to other "bubbles" and are spining around in a sea of denser material that is rotating due to angular forces on the outside of the "bubbles"

xploder
edit on 16-6-2011 by XPLodER because: add you tube

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I'm not convincedabout gravity spinning bet magnetic bubbles could but that would need a + and - before it all happens right ?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

in the following picture the circular motion observed from the video
shows an exchange of angular mometium into the "bubble" structure

xploder

edit on 19-6-2011 by XPLodER because: add vid

the positive/negitive is fixed within one "potential" voltage or presure
but what happens when two different "potential" voltages or "pressures" interact" at different "voltages potentials" or pressures

imagine a plasma globe and when the current touches the glass, the current travels at a right angle to source
if we accounted for the angular rotation with "current flow" and the change in angular direction due to the current sheet breaking down at right angles to source.
there could be more than one "current sheet" (layers between current sheets look like bubbles)

though this is all in absrtact at this stage as they do look to be bubbles at this time

the fact that they have been described as not quite round
and the fact they are "bubbles" describes a slight differnce in rotation about the magnetic feild lines
an alternate and interesting interpretation would be

pure speculation follows
the forces of our solar system project outwards from the center
and the forces "breakdown" at periodic distences from the center
at the point of "breakdown" for each force collapses and spreads from the direction of flow and is expressed as angular momentium on a plane 90 degrees to the intintial flow or direction of force

xploder
edit on 19-6-2011 by XPLodER because: add more

edit on 19-6-2011 by XPLodER because: more ramblings lol

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Awesome !

I just read about voyager which could be leaving the solar system any day now.
It is now 18 billion KM away from earth... So the bubbles are just a small distance in comparison.

It will add big time`non the less.

I can't wait for it to send the first stellar info here. I 'm afraid thought the bubbles might interfere with the radio signal. Lets hope it doesn't

top topics

join