It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Panel Releases Scathing Report on 'Fast and Furious' Gun Operation, Sure to Anger Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

House Panel Releases Scathing Report on 'Fast and Furious' Gun Operation, Sure to Anger Mexico

www.foxnews.com< br />

"You've got people who are dead, you have weapons that are missing and you have an administration that doesn't seem to want to take any accountability for it," said Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah and a member of the House Government Oversight Committee. "There is absolutely no justification, no justification for this. There are people that are going to have to be held accountable."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I guess the reason we pay these bureau heads the big money is for them to come up with ideas like these. In order to stop the Drug War violence we sell guns to the bad guys so we can see where they go and what they are used for. What? They go to the bad guys and they use them to kill people. What did you think? What the hill were they thinking?

Hoping to score a knockout blow against the Mexican cartels, U.S. law enforcement created "Operation Fast and Furious" to stop gun smuggling by allowing the weapons into Mexico, thereby exposing the entire cartel network to prosecution, according to a new congressional report on the U.S. program.

Instead, the operation was a bust, a deadly strategy that left a trail of blood and bodies throughout the Southwest, the scathing congressional report said, concluding that a reckless and irresponsible chain of command ignored repeated warnings the plan would fail.

And when one of these guns was used to kill Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry last January it finally dawned on somebody this may not be a good idea.

What happened to Yankee ingenuity? What happened to the economy? What happened to our rights and privacies? What happened to America? Some real forward thinkers we have nowadays. Slap his wrists. Slap cuffs on them!

Findings from the preliminary report include:

-- Agents expected to interdict weapons, yet were told to stand down and “just surveil.” Agents therefore did not act. They watched straw purchasers buy hundreds of weapons illegally and transfer those weapons to unknown third parties and stash houses.

-- ATF agents complained about the strategy of allowing guns to walk in Operation Fast and Furious. Leadership ignored their concerns. Instead, supervisors told the agents to “get with the program” because senior ATF officials had sanctioned the operation.

-- Agents knew that given the large numbers of weapons being trafficked to Mexico, tragic results were a near certainty.

www.foxnews.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 15-6-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Great find S&F

Trust me it's not just Mexicans who are angry... to think an agency who has sworn to protect... would give these weapons to gun runners is outrageous!!!!

I hope the ATF members who did this have nightmares ... dreaming about the men women and children who are dead because of what they did... I do hope they find who ever came up with this stupid plan and hang him from the highest flag pole above the white house... but we know that's never going to happen... at best we'll get some nobody to be their scape goat...

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Just like Waco and Ruby Ridge the Democrats manufacture a major problem to further their gun grabbing agenda. Death and deception are not barriers to them.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Man, forget Mexico, talk about corruption...

This should make ALL legal gun owners in America furious!

It's obvious why they did this!!!
edit on 15-6-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Ties in perfectly with the drug trade... Operation Blaze and Delirious.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I have to admit I am somewhat relieved that this topic is being selected for the upcoming political theater.

Sadly, the denials of past years only add insult to the injuries of the dead and .. well... injured.

The weapons black market was being fed without repercussion. "Senior" administrators 'signed off on this.'

But the mid-level managers who could have risked their careers (and or lives perhaps) to put an end to it will pay the price.

Even the Mexican government threatened to 'reveal' the names US officials complicit in the ongoing violence surplus in their country... at least until our states conferred on 'what would be done.' Which as we can see, until now was nothing.

And in the end the business of 'security' benefited greatly, in more ways than one.

Of course, this will do nothing to stop the ongoing movement in the elite circles to create an unarmed civilian population (except for criminals and themselves, of course.)

I wonder how Mexico can become 'angry' about this. They have apparently known of it for a long time. They could have 'exposed' the political-appointee rock stars in the middle of it.... I wonder really why they didn't. I wonder if, aside from a couple of GS-14s, anyone will truly face "consequences?"

It was kind of funny to hear the righteous words of our representatives "Someone will have to be held accountable for this." As opposed to other times when it was OK that none was held accountable, or no-one even needed to know.

Such are the rewards of political expedience.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I believe gun control is only one unnamed agenda in this whole sordid affair and that there are other motives in play here. All this is being orchestrated, in philharmonic symphony, to kill quite a few birds with one stone. I believe that murder of targeted crows will come back on them and do more than just decorate a few squad cars.

Obviously gun control is not the goal in Mexico, they are mostly prohibited here. Of course the Mexican people have to live with the consequences of this larger game being played, but it is in the US where all of it is back-firing right now. If the screw-up was happening in Mexico then heads would roll, literally! We do have justice here.

Our problems in Mexico will likely be solved overnight when the US quits playing its game on us. Heck, it will probably be like the Alcohol Prohibition days in Mexico when gringos virtually built our border towns. Mexican hash cafés anyone? I am all for some friendly narco-tourism.

edit on 15-6-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
If we quit selling the arms ,eqip,arsenals,etc,etc,,maybe and just maybe ,the violence will go down a little,but its just an old trade drugs for wapons,theres no end to this.HA!! if you go to a border town to eat in the mexican side dont resist the guy who goes to your table asking for the keys of your truck or car,this is the new way of steal a car without passenger,and im saying dont resist because they will kill you in the spot and hes still will take your keys from your body[read dead body].They have people observing the turism. just commenting what has been hapening in the border towns...............

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If there's a war, assume both sides are funded by U.S.
I think that assumption holds up for just about every war the past 100 years.

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This story is what is wrong with our Border situation.

Everything we try is a monumental failure.

When you see the Border Patrol vehicle in Kansas,

Please point them toward the Border of your choice.

S&F

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
And this operation probably came from the TOP... meaning at least the US AG... if not Obama directly.

The ATF didn't do this on their own.

join