It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA Blast Gauge Tells You How Much You've Been Blown Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

DARPA Blast Gauge Tells You How Much You've Been Blown Up

dvice.com

Even through traumatic brain injury has the word "traumatic" in it, it's often the case that soldiers in combat are exposed to things blowing up that leave mild to moderate brain injuries that go undetected. DARPA's new field blast gauge is designed to help medics tell exactly how much blast exposure someone has, and whether they need treatment.

Somewhat unusually for a DARPA project, the blast gauge only cost about a million dollars to develop...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.darpa.mil

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Only about a million dollars each?
I am guessing this is part of the Penagons secret billion
dollar budget.

I've played video games that had these types of a "gauge" in them....as you play and get blown up you can look and see...I am only half dead, not all dead.

And who says The Pentagon is not a war machine...

This video represents some of the blast data collection methods used to inform the development of the DARPA blast gauge. The first portion of the video shows weighted crash test dummies used to simulate a Soldier in the field. A number of orientations are used to allow the research team to characterize the space and inform the blast gauge device algorithms. In all the video clips a light flash from the explosion is seen, then a rapidly moving pressure wave, followed by the the explosion fireball. In the last video clip (manikin head only) two pressure waves are seen as the laterally moving move is followed by one reflected off the ground. Learn more about the Blast Gauge here: go.usa.gov...

www.youtube.com...

“DARPA’s blast dosimeter was developed in 11 months at a cost of about $1 million and is one of those projects that allows DARPA to put capabilities directly into the hands of warfighters,” said Rogers. “Roughly the size of a small stack of quarters, the Army will begin field testing this summer. We will be working closely with the Army and other Services to field this device as quickly as possible and to determine its potential.” www.darpa.mil...

dvice.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Interesting, though I wonder if the test can be confused by car accidents, falls, what have you. I was airborne for 10 yrs in the Army and have taken quite few nasty spills. I've also been extremely close to explosions in my 30+ years.

I do think though that this will help people with TBI. and hopefully weed out fraudulent claims.

I'm not dead yet! I feel happy! HAPPY!

join