It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Met a Gulf and Iraq War Veteran today and he was pissed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by LargeFries

Here is the story I believe you are referring to.

Drug to keep soldiers awake for 7 days.

I had first read about it several years back as being a drug under testing with French troops. Basically methamphetamine in it's effects without addiction or a crash when it wears off. A miracle drug, I recall the story in the paper calling it. I'll just bet the Human mind still does funny things when sleep deprived over and over again combined with situations so high stress, many of us will never know anything like it.

TY for the link Wrabbit2000, good detective work! I know first-hand how insomnia takes a nasty toll on one's health. To take military people that may be under incredibly stressful conditions and screw with their bodies & health like this is simply evil. There has been many exposes of G.I.'s being used as guinea pig/lab rats, I can only imagine in reality Govt.'s have been doing these dirty deeds for a very long time.

OP's like this make me hope someone will assemble and publish some ugly truths for our young folks to read before they sign up. Too damn many good youngsters who want to help people find out the hard way that things are not always as they seem. Too many pay too high a price.

Yesterday I shared with another ATS member who has an OP seeking help for their insomnia. I wish them the best in finding relief.

Thanks again for the link

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by LargeFries
reply to post by kennylee

a few years ago i did read of a drug manufactured for the US Govt. oddly enough, this drug had (at that time) been tested on Canadian soldiers (by their Govt). it was successful in keeping soldiers fully awake and aware for several days, as if those tested had actually received the sleep they needed and awoke again.

the article mentioned those concerned with the testing were very pleased that soldiers were able to go back to a normal sleep/awake regimen with little problems being detected.

i do not recall a mention of a second drug for sleeping purposes. there was no mention of using a needle to administer doses.

i remember reading this because it struck me as very peculiar that a USA Govt drug test was being performed on Canadian military personnel. i recall wondering to myself how closely are our Govt.'s tied to be doing such a thing.

i apologize: i do not remember if this i read online or in a magazine article. i've shared with you everything i can recall.

I think youre thinking about "provigil".

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Never heard of a shot for this. (staying awake or sleeping for days). Just pills.

There are certainly well-documented cases of the military using speed or Provigil to help troops stay awake. Not too long ago, the MoD copped to using Provigil as I recall.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Its also the reason for the existance of methamphetamines.. A lovely NAZI creation that did not work as planned for them.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I'd actually just come back to this thread to see what developed, never intending to post again, but your msg made me throw this in. Tramadol is what my wife was put on a few days before she cried out to me from our kitchen. I made it into the room just as she collapsed in a convulsing mess and then basically died on me. The combination of CPR and living less than 1/2 mile from the ambulance bays of a regional trauma center is all that I attribute her survival to. I have never been so terrified in my life than watching her turn color on the floor while I felt like nothing I was doing was working. Our son almost lost his mother and I almost lost the most special person in my life because a doctor made an 'oops'. She (the doctor) didn't put it that way...but immediately cut dosage (My wife cut the DRUG entirely) and said the dosage prescribed must have been a bit too high. Yeah.. No kidding...

This obsession with trial and error across many drugs AT THE SAME TIME is killing people. Period. I have absolutely no question because I watched it that morning and I hope..someday..I can get it out of my mind. She has no memory beyond the last yell she made to me. Thank God for the small favors. When I was growing up I had a PDR, of all things, for reasons of pure recreation....to put it kindly. It listed every drug imaginable, literally, and how they interacted. It DID NOT list how they interacted with each other in combination with 5-10-15 OTHERS at the same time. My aunt is currently in a Hospital in California, unable to WALK, because some White Coat prescribed a Statin drug for cholesterol while she had half a dozen FAR more serious issues. Gee whiz...while we're at it......? Enough with the Russian Roulette by Rx pad.

Whoever prescribed 1000mg of Tylenol needs their license stripped. Ibuprofen (Ranger Candy!
) is one thing. You can hit that for thousands of of mg per day and not get serious blow-back from it. Aspirin and Acetaminophen is a whole different ballgame though... One or two pills beyond threshold is serious physical damage, as, tragically, you found out.

When will the madness end?? Every problem in the 'Human Condition' is not solved by an Rx pad!

edit on 17-6-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I met a Gulf War veteran two days ago who told me he still suffering from post-Traumatic stress that he lost his best friend to a friendly fire incident. He told me that one time in the battlefield to find Iraqi troops, he and his unit was pinned down by heavy fire from Iraqi T-72s and called in air-support to dislodge them. Unfortunately, two USAF A-10 Thunderbolts apparently can't tell the difference between a friendly vehicle and an enemy tank. He saw a USAF A-10 instead taken out a U.S. Bradley vehicle with Maverick missiles, ended up with his friend along with another tank-crew dead and two others injured.

He then run up and checked the Bradley vehicle minutes after being hit in a U.S. airstrike. He saw his friend was charred like he was burnt up in the sun and it was dead. Also his body looks like he was almost blown into pieces. It was terrible for him to see that.

Just to let you know, the U.S. military did cover it up and told the family that it was enemy fire that killed him and not the fact it was the USAF A-10s that killed him.

edit on 26-8-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Brown
I know that pilots and aircrews had real uppers available......

Nah, gonna show the BS flag on that one. We never have uppers and the only thing we're allowed to take is Ambien to help sleep when we change time zones.

Sorry, this guy sounds like a poser to me.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15
Just to let you know, the U.S. military did cover it up and told the family that it was enemy fire that killed him and not the fact it was the USAF A-10s that killed him.

Just to let you know, the US Military reported this right after it happened and it was described as a "friendly fire incident".

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by signal2noise

There were a lot of covers up of friendly fire incidents. Some situations are difference. But this is the experience i had with a Gulf War veteran and he told me that his friend's death is covered up by the military that it was enemy fire that killed him. He didn't want to tell his friend's family to it either. I don't know why because it seem wrong to cover up friendly fire deaths.

edit on 26-8-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I have a dear friend who is a war veteran, he fought in Vietnam. He has told me stories of the countless deaths, those in his unit (his brothers) that he watched die. The nightmares he still has to this day are heart wrenching.

His health is a mess. The VA has him on SO many medications its sickening. He was affected from Agent Orange. He had to have a lung removed. He developed a brain tumor. He gets rashes on his hands up to his wrists.

I know he had told me of staying up for days, but never mentioned it was due to a shot received. I will have to ask him about that in his experience.

My heart breaks for our war veterans. What they have had to endure.....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join