It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lewis Page: Earth may be headed into a mini Ice Age within a decade

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Note the headline - ....MAY cause.....

As the NS article states:

An onset of quiet behaviour might also help scientists clarify how much the sun affects Earth's climate. The sun's solar cycle was interrupted once before during the so-called Maunder minimum from 1645 to 1715, when almost no sunspots appeared.

Some scientists have suggested this 70-year lull may have triggered or contributed to the pronounced cooling observed in northern Europe during this period, though the connection is disputed.

If a period of deep quiet is recurring, it "gives us an excellent opportunity to study that in real time", says Matt Penn of the National Solar Observatory, who contributed to the study led by Livingston.

basically no-one actually knows whether this will have any effect at all - but it may enable us to make some connection.

Or it may not.

and no-one knows what that connection will be - will it cause a LIA...or will it not?

Saying that it is going to cause a LIA is not supported by the reported facts.

no surprise about that for a sensationalist post on ATS

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Heck we're already there. The last 3 years have been the coldest I can recall in my entire life (and I know this because my house has no central heating) Even the summers we've been having have been quite chilly and erratic.

I have a winter duvet and a summer blanket, and I alternate between them all summer long depending on how the weather is going to decide to be. When I was a kid, summer meant one thing, it was going to be hot every day.

Call me a conspiracy nut but I personally think the colder summers are caused by the almost permanent cloud cover we have in my country now. Weather control has multiple applications, one of them being stopping hurricanes and the like. The other applications include things like keeping your worker ants nice and cool so they don't frazzle out, helps them remain productive.

Kaku was trying to spread fear? I don't recall him saying anything particularly scary. Of course, I am not claiming to have heard everything he said, or that I remember everything I heard...what did you think was the fear-spreading stuff? Links please?

Agree with this. Art Bell would always try and lead Kaku down a juicy path where he could talk about doom and destruction of the human race, or at least near extinction, and Kaku would always politely remain realistic about it. Not great radio but gotta give the man props for sticking to his guns.

Kaku has said a few times though, that in billions of years the earth will be destroy when the sun goes supernova, I suppose I can see how that's scary to some people who have no concept of how far away billions is.
edit on 15-6-2011 by Lazyninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

Let me start by saying you have an awesome, awesome avatar. Unfortunately I was taking a sip of coffee when I first saw it and so spent the last few minutes cleaning my screen.

I've been thinking about Kaku and his interviews since last night. Yes, he does mention the end of the solar system, as you said. The only other thing I could think of that might be considered "scary" was when he spoke about humans being a "Class Zero" civilization on the cusp of becoming a "Class One" civilization, and how that step is a difficult one and we are just as likely to blow ourselves back to "Class None"(my term) as we are to move to Class One.

I didn't really see that as scary, I saw it as realistic. And it was obvious during the interviews that he didn't want to dwell on that; he'd quickly move on to how much we're progressing by pointing out that the Internet is a Class One telephone system, etc.

As for the LIA or any future "mini" ice age...I don't think that would be much of a problem really. But if we get slammed with a real Ice Age, as in pole to pole glaciers complete with an equatorial pressure ridge...or we get deathrayed by a flare or have some other ELE...
Some would think that a bit "unfair". Feh. What's the saying about eggs and baskets?
Don't keep all your eggs in one basket...or, put them all in one basket, and watch that basket.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
S & F

Time to head to Mars, Titan, or Europa.

Seriously.

I doubt that astronomers have been closely looking at those 3 places for NOTHING

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
The "real" scientists have known about this for the last 30 years at least, that the world was in a cooling trend.

It was so seriosuly taken that the CIA issued a report on the geopolitical dangers that Global Cooling could cause in 1974.

CIA Report

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
The "real" scientists have known about this for the last 30 years at least, that the world was in a cooling trend.

It was so seriosuly taken that the CIA issued a report on the geopolitical dangers that Global Cooling could cause in 1974.

CIA Report

Yes, we stupidly ascribe behaviours to short term patterns , when we have no idea how long some of these climate cycles could actualy be.

our position in the solar system .. our position in the galaxy , heck our position in the universe could all effect this..

all we can do is look at what patterns we have recorded and say 'Hey this is remarkably similar' the latest pattern says Mini ice age.....

volcano's are a big indicator here.. they ash gets into the upper atmosphere and blocks out the sun, and the planet cools ..

a regular occurence? maybe.. mother earth self regulating? maybe..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Regardless of what will happen in the next decade or so, what I find most appalling is how the ragdolls of politics around the world buy into the opinions of so-called experts and scientists.
One thing is very clear by now and that is that these people who sit at the desks, looking at data, wondering how to sustain their funding, what to tell who and when... none of these people have any real idea of what the heck they are talking about. They are guessing... slightly educated guess, but still guessing.

This enables the politicians around the world to feed the public that certain taxes need to be applied to certain things and that we have to buy these kinds of things to be good to the environment...

It's this century's way of mind control.

The fact remains that the Earth will go warm again at some point and it will go cold again, completely without our help. This is the way it has been for hundreds of thousands of years and it will continue to go through this CYCLE.

Maybe this can put a big fat cork in the mouth on the supporters of manmade global warming...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join