It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to search WITHOUT using ATS's search feature.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
People always seem to be complaining about the search feature here on ATS. Well, were you guys aware you can Google threads on ATS, and any other website for that matter?

This is how you would search for a thread about the Japan Earthquake on google:

"Japan Earthquake" site:abovetopsecret.com

The quotes make it so that Google only searches for the exact phrase "Japan Earthquake" and not "Japan" and "earthquake" separately. If you don't want to search for an exact phrase, leave the quotes out.

The "site:abovetopsecret.com" part will search ONLY ATS.

Well there you have it. I thought most people knew about this, but considering the high number of complains I see people post about ATS's search feature, I guess not.

Now there is no excuse for duplicate threads, yes?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Actually most are just too lazy to look if it's already been posted.

The search feature isn't that hard to use and there are many other ways to see recent threads. People don't care, they think they got to the story first when if it's more than a few hours old and something of importance you know its been done about 5 times by the time you see it....

The recent posts page and the new topic firehouse are good for searching for new threads and so is going to the forum you would post in.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

That's my opinion as well, but I guess it's easy to just blame the search feature. If they know about an alternative way to search, they shouldn't be able to blame it on anything other than their own laziness.

I figured one less excuse would be a good thing! Honestly I have never even looked at ATS's search page. Whenever I am looking for something here on ATS, or at any of the other forums I'm on, I always just Google search. That way you don't have to deal with some of the ridiculous search features some sites have.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
i too use that, its way faster but i guess its all about what one uses the most. I use the bellow for several other reasons,

intitle:add+url “your keyword”

intitle:submit+site “your keyword”

intitle:submit+url “your keyword”

intitle:add+your+site “your keyword”

intitle:add+site “your keyword”

intitle:directory “your keyword”

intitle:sites “your keyword”

intitle:list “your keyword”

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
A real problem arises when people change the name of an article and there's no way to find it.

If the article title is "Japanese Man Has Heart Attack and Dies in Rice Bowl" and it's changed to "Man Keels Over at the Dinner Table", it's never gonna come up.

Or it will come up due to the content but the title change is what is being looked for.

I suggest leaving the title of an article alone. It won't help everyone but it would definitely improve the results.

IMO

edit on 13-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

The OP method is just the same as using the Google Toolbar's "search site" function. Serious researchers really should be using this method on other sites too.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I find that ATS (search) is easy to use and very helpful......but knowing about an alternative source is good to....thanks!
edit on 13-6-2011 by caladonea because: correct word

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Initially I used the search and it was fine, but recently I haven't been able to find several things so thanks.

Did anyone see the thread about the family who went self-sufficient in a town will very little land, they were so successful they started supplying restautants. I rally wanted to read all that thread but it disappeared or I can't find it. Can any one help? Thanks in advance.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
Initially I used the search and it was fine, but recently I haven't been able to find several things so thanks.

Did anyone see the thread about the family who went self-sufficient in a town will very little land, they were so successful they started supplying restautants. I rally wanted to read all that thread but it disappeared or I can't find it. Can any one help? Thanks in advance.

I simply used keywords and i think this is the thread your searching for

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by James1982

TY James1982. Very helpful to know, for many applications. A+ for you!

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Cerebraiassassins

Thank you very much for your trouble I can enjoy that thread now, its one of the few that gives one hope.

Lynda

top topics

join