It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl shot in head for challenging gunman

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

If more people had the balls to actually stand up to violence then perhaps the US would not be such a violent society.

Uuuuuuummmm... NO. If more people had the balls to actually stand up to violence then you would have more people "with balls" getting shot in the head.

You fail...

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
question..
is the gunman really to blame?
or is it the laws that are inplace that allow things like this to take place.
like really...pretty much anyone can buy a gun in the US..
take the oxygen from the fire and youll loose the flame.
sad story..
too many closed minded people,
pointing fingers.
in all the wrong directions..

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
This is what happens when people watch too many movies. Unless you are trained with firearms then you dont know how to handle them or what to do in certain situations.

You have got to be kidding...?
The problem is that this young, idealistic girl, in this regard, was not old enough to understand some things about human nature. When someone goes on this type of killing rampage, with gun or wooden 2x4, there is no emotion left in their body. All reason and critical thinking is by-passed and they calmly go about their murderous business as if they were hoeing weeds.

Seeking cover and concealment is about the only recourse or having a weapon of your own that also speaks louder than words. Because mere words are useless at that stage.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JayXBraun

Yes. The gunman is to blame. Guns are a tool. How that tool is used is up to the person using it. A gun does not have free will, or an ability to move on its own.

The 2nd Amendment, according to the Supreme Court, is in place (among other reasons) to ensure that the Federal Government didn't provide more support to one militia over another, or their own standing army. To do this, each male who was of age was considered a "militia member" and was to be allowed arms that are parallel to what is allowed to any other militia or standing army.

"A well armed populace" was mentioned many times by our founding fathers. It is an essential part of liberty, as the only rights we have are those which we retain for ourselves.

More lawful gun owners likely would have been a deterrent to this guy. And if not, would have provided an opportunity to stop him before he killed someone. Otherwise, you end up like this: people running from a threat they are hopeless to defend themselves against.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

so any asshole with a gun can dictate what he wants?

chump should get death penalty, unless you people want to plead mitigating circumstances.

blame the girl, i guess.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by Jepic

so any asshole with a gun can dictate what he wants?

chump should get death penalty, unless you people want to plead mitigating circumstances.

blame the girl, i guess.

No. Any idiot with a gun can't dictate what he wants. He should be stopped. But get this. One more person with a gun is just one more person who can turn insane and go on a killing spree. The more guns, the more chances of killing sprees. Soon you'll have the wild west all over again, with people firing their guns when they feel like it.

Sometimes you need to protect people from themselves.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ShaunHatfield

Yawn. So predictable, and from someone who is clearly an intellectual behemoth.

She is the victim and not (as some have pointed out) the person at fault. If people are going to change the fact that the US is a violent place where intimidation by firearms "wins every time" then by all means, cower in the corner.

Sometimes the bravery - or foolhardiness - of people changes things, but clearly some people don't recognise that. Regardless, she remains the victim.

Regards

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

if i have a gun too,

would that make you think twice?

no? then may the best shot win.

he shot the girl.

he shall die in prison, i hope.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom_is_Slavery

Yvette Torres, 15, a student at DeWitt Clinton High School in The Bronx, was shot in the back of her head during the Saturday night fracas on Valentine Avenue near 187th Street in Fordham.

Perhaps even more dangerous than confronting a man already firing off rounds is turning your back on him.

She was shot in the back of the head. That could only happen if he snuck on her later or she turned her back on him. If you are going to confront a person, you don't turn your back on them. That's why it is called conFRONT.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

if i have a gun too,

would that make you think twice?

no? then may the best shot win.

See. Wild West all over again.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

ya it is.

just let these morons kill anyone they want.

right?

he shot her in the back of the head!

glad you ain't no CSI! what part about he die in prison you don't get?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

wow... Did you really think you accomplished anything with your ad hominem???

I never said she wasn't the victim. You stated that more people needed to stand up like her.. That is the most ignorant thing I had read this morning, before your follow up post.

If more people did exactly like she did, more people would be dead and or injured, from foolish advice.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
There are pivot points in life, moments when we ourselves are not sure how we will react. To be a coward, to save ones life, to stand up and make a difference, to say no to the problems in society. This girl wanted to make a stand and try and make a difference, her head told her she had the power to stop this lunatic and you can't blame her for that. That is the essence of humanity. Fight or Flight, she choose to fight to be that days Joan of Arc. It doesn't always work out the way it should, but the girl had the balls to try. I wish her well.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks
reply to post by Jepic

ya it is.

just let these morons kill anyone they want.

right?

he shot her in the back of the head!

glad you ain't no CSI! what part about he die in prison you don't get?

No...
They won't kill anyone they want. That's why we shouldn't give pistols to just anybody. Only to people who pass very strict mental health tests.

And somehow you keep on rumbling about him dying in prison. And I don't understand that. Did you get the idea that I disagree with him being in prison? I don't know... I'm clueless... Explain motherf*****!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

This is NYC here, one of the most strict places when it comes to gun control, in case you didn't know. Funny, gun control didn't mean crap did it? It was probably a black market gun, like all the other gangbangers running around NYC.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Jepic

This is NYC here, one of the most strict places when it comes to gun control, in case you didn't know. Funny, gun control didn't mean crap did it? It was probably a black market gun, like all the other gangbangers running around NYC.

Apparently not strict enough...

And funny... If the police really wanted to they could dismantle the black market, but since they profit off it a lot they don't really give a crap.

It seems interests have won again.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
There are pivot points in life, moments when we ourselves are not sure how we will react. To be a coward, to save ones life, to stand up and make a difference, to say no to the problems in society. This girl wanted to make a stand and try and make a difference, her head told her she had the power to stop this lunatic and you can't blame her for that. That is the essence of humanity. Fight or Flight, she choose to fight to be that days Joan of Arc. It doesn't always work out the way it should, but the girl had the balls to try. I wish her well.

Very true. But a winner has to know when to walk away from a losing battle. Infinite confidence in yourself is misguided and liable to get you killed. I forgive this young girl because she was not old enough to know one way or another. She was very brave and like you say she has in her the embodiment of a hero that doesn't back down. But you can't force people to be this way. Cowards have made a mental choice to always run. Ultimately, they'll be the losers longterm because just like infinte confidence, infinite cowardice will get you killed.
edit on 13-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

I don't need a gun to kill lots of people. I am large, very strong, have a martial arts background, and can stick all manner of sharp objects in people.

Our "right to bear arms" is just that. There is no need for me to be protected. I protect myself. You should expect the same. Those handouts and measures to protect you come with a price.

People do not need protection from themselves. That is a view of most tyrants. What kind of ego makes a person think that they should think for someone else?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Name one society, in the history of the world that didn't have a black market....
The gun was probably illegal, You can make all the laws you want, criminals don't follow them....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

doubt you will get anything like that passed, hoss.

and what is the problem you got about him dying in prison?

criminals will always get guns. legal or not.

he shot her in the back of the head.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join