It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iran is going to improve shahab-3

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/20040807/wl_mideast_afp/iran_israel_missile_040807194834&e=5

Iran aims to soon test an improved version of its Shahab-3 medium-range missile, Defence Minister Ali Shamkhani said, following Israel's boosting of its anti-missile missile capability.

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Looks like Iran is trying to scare off Israel from attacking their nuclear facilities which I believe will happen in the near future. The article also says the missile is for defensive measures...yeah right they want to be able to hit Israel back in case of a preemptive strike.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
There probably paranoid about a US invasion. But I think Iran has the right to defend themselves from an attack.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
There probably paranoid about a US invasion. But I think Iran has the right to defend themselves from an attack.

of course that they have right
))) but unfortunatelly for them I suppose that US Army don't know about it
)))

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
True, like any sovereign country, Iran has the right to defend itself from attack... but so do the rest of us, and a nuclear arsenal in the hands of those who so casually issue fatwahs and fundamentalist tirades is a threat to all... the question for the modern age is, at what point does the need for self defence (the West's) justify a pre-emptive defensive strike? Today we can assume that Iran's conventional forces cannot credibly threaten its neighbours (its making do with the unconventional, in Iraq, at the moment). With nukes and missiles, it can intimidate its neighbours and threaten countries much farther afield.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Actually Iran feels threatened because Iran has Iraq as a neighbor to the West and Afghanistan to the East. Both the Iraqi and Afghani military is being trained and equipped by the US. Iran will not be able to intimidate those two countries anymore because of that reason. The US might also make permanent bases in both countries adding to the tension.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
so wat if iran improves the shahab?
if they're dumb enough to launch them at Israel, their whole country will be wiped out!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJAghetto
if they're dumb enough to launch them at Israel, their whole country will be wiped out!!!

but there is another question.Your military sources stated that your last anti-missile technology is unprepared to defend your country agains new Shahabs.

what do you think about it???do you have anything what can destroy their new missiles???

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by gattaca

Originally posted by DJAghetto

but there is another question.Your military sources stated that your last anti-missile technology is unprepared to defend your country agains new Shahabs.

what do you think about it???do you have anything what can destroy their new missiles???

hmmm... no link to prove this is true...

very well
i guess i'll have to prove to you that Israel has the most advanced Air Defense missile & system in the world(including the USA). Arrow

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Westpoint, its a good observation that Iran is now surrounded and for that reason may feel threatened... (by the way, this alone offers a compelling argument for invading Iraq) but then again, its because of their attitude towards the West and the US in particular. Proximity to the US (or states harbouring US forces) is not enough to make one feel threatened. I live in Canada with a 5000 mile US border, and feel quite safe. In Iran's case, they could probably feel a lot safer if they joined the world community of nations that have foreswarn the support of terrorism, fundamentalism and religious intolerance.

Of course, I speak of Iran's current leadership... her people are as fine as those anywhere, and most would like a change in government.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I live in Canada with a 5000 mile US border, and feel quite safe. In Iran's case, they could probably feel a lot safer

You live in Canada the US has no reason to invade or attack Canada. But living in Iran is different first of all you are a totalitarian state surrounded by two democratic nations, this is bad cuz it might cause your people to want democracy. Iran is also insisting on building nuclear weapons which the US will not allow, so you see Iran has many reason to feel threatened.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
We're agreeing, Westpoint. I'm merely pointing out that they should look in a mirror to see their real enemy.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:32 AM
link   

hmmm... no link to prove this is true...

very well
i guess i'll have to prove to you that Israel has the most advanced Air Defense missile & system in the world(including the USA). Arrow

hmmm..I still don't know what to think.there is some different opinions.

take a look

www.nti.org...

Israel?s Arrow missile interceptor system is capable of providing full protection against the Shahab 3, said Arye Herzog, head of the Homa Missile Defense program (see GSN, June 2). Herzog added, however, that Israel still lacked full protection against the Shahab 4, a more advanced ballistic missile Iran has been reported as trying to develop (Israel Defense Forces Radio/BBC Monitoring International, July 8).

iran-press-service.com...

"Reacting to the menace, Israel?s Defence Minister Shaul Mofaz told the ruling Likud Knesset (Israel?s parliament) faction that Israel is prepared to counter the threat from Iranian Shahab-3 missiles.

The Iranian-origin Mr. Mofaz assured the Israeli public that the Arrow missile can effectively defend against the Shahab-3, adding that he was in contact with American and other international officials who are helping Israel deal with the Iranian threat.

www.alertnet.org...

Independent experts have estimated the Arrow's success rate at 95 percent but some doubt whether the Arrow would be reliable against a salvo of the Shahab-3, Iran's most advanced missile.

"The Shahab-3 travels at about 6 km (3 miles) per second -- roughly four times the speed of Scuds and twice the speed of targets the original Arrow was designed to handle," said Jerusalem Post military correspondent Arieh O'Sullivan.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sorry I couldn't find this article from your military source but I'm sure that somebody agreed that arrow-2 wasn't projected to destroy such missiles like shahab-3 and nobody thought that it will be able to defend israel against them

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The Shahab 3 missile was tested today in Iran.

And in two weeks there will be another test for the Arrow missile, this time it will try to intercept a scud-D - which is the msot advanced scud missile in the world (I think). It has a bait so it will be quite a challenge for the Arrow missile, and the arrow systems that will be tested are supposed to be operational only in ther next year.

Anyway, I heard that the Arrow missile will undergo some software and hardware upgrades which will allow it to intercept even future Shihab-4 missiles.

top topics

join