It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is for the Young Politically Minded People.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I'm talking the under 30 crowd. I was reading an article in Maclean's today about the young voter. A good article. Here's a few snippets:

But the 27-year-old comedian and social activist didn’t heed the doctor’s advice. With the ultimate goal of getting more disaffected young people like himself interested in politics, Devlin created Truthfool Communications. The modus operandi of the Vancouver-based online marketing agency is to produce funny skits on the Internet that serve as public awareness campaigns about serious issues.

And:

“This generation has a lot of skepticism,” says Boler. “They have a very different political world and a different sort of political sensibility.” That could be why #harperdid.ca garnered more than four million page views in its first three days, the vast majority of which, says Devlin, came from people under 35.

snip

“In all the elections past, we’ve never really had anything aimed specifically at our generation,” says Lisa Lagace, a 25-year-old editorial and marketing assistant. “It’s just been the same old thing: a bunch of old guys talking.”

www2.macleans.ca...

I have seen a huge upswing in younger folks becoming aware and willing to delve into the political arena. I tried to remember my time like that. It was before the Mesozoic era so I have a few pieces of advice here.

#1- Educate yourself. That means taking different sources and decide for yourself what it the right course of action.

2- Be open minded. Hell, that will automatically separate you from us old farts.

3- It's OK to change your mind. You now have different info. You won't see that happening with the polarized foggies such as me.

4- Got an issue? Got a solution? It's OK to be upset with an issue. Think on it. Come up with a solution. You may have something that will work.

5- Don't lose your passion. We have.

I hope this helps you out.
edit on 11-6-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Thanks man, this is a great piece of advice and it is quite inspirational to see other people of my generation feel the same. I'm 20 years old and have been politically interested since i was about 15. When I was younger I used to rant about how the democrats were wrong, and then how the republicans were wrong too. It wasn't until recently that I began to search for what is right. I don't have a full answer yet, but i've definitely made progress studying historical texts, philosophers and major political events and people. Hopefully the rest of my generation will WAKE UP and join me, but untill then I continue to fellow my life's journey and try to never give up hope or purpose.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Im sorry, and dont get me wrong, these are very good point and resources for the younger generation, but I think whats more important is not JUST to get involved in the "political arena" but rather to destroy the majority of it.

What I mean by this is to see through the illusion of the 2 party paradox. Forget words like "liberal" and "conservative". Why? Because they limit our thinking. Its political lingo designed to stop us from thinking any further and to lump issue into small pre-determind categories.

Now...im 18 years old and I truly believe that politics (or the majority of media pushed politics) is crap. Nothing and I mean NOTHING truly important ever gets accomplished...instead we hear about minor and insignifigant law, amendment, decision has been made or reached but nothing ever changes (for the better at least)

My point is simply this.

# politics. Go beyond the political arena game and make a #ing change.

Hell...come to ATS maybe and talk with other likeminded people for a start.

ps. Ron Paul for 2012 (and I say this very loosely because I still don't trust the gallery of corporate whores and puppets we see laid before us every 4 years AND thats not to say Paul is one of them but you can never be too sure...)

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jugtalicus

After voting for 20 years you will realize what i do now. Voting does not make a dam difference. The system has to change.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by KoolerKing
After voting for 20 years you will realize what i do now. Voting does not make a dam difference. The system has to change.

Which puts over the age bracket I'm talking about. Also a good example of why the young need to get involved. Thank for the example.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Hopefully by the time my generation grows up (if they ever do -.-) they wont be to drained to do anything with the economic situation, the wars, and the pollution of our food water and environment. I'm scared of how hard it may be in the near future just to eat and have a place to live.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Nice thread

I think that young people have a sense of responsibility to change things at this point. Insurance companies and banks have been pushing everyone's heads under the line of financial security for far too long. We had a family conversation the other day that really opened my eyes to how pre-conclusive most of the older folks are about... well... pretty much everything. I've had similar discussions with equally pathetic people here on ATS but I'm going to outline the conversation we had at the dinner table.

My mother in law: "I don't understand these kids, all they seem to want to do all day is play around on Facebook and Youtube, how is this productive?"

Me: "And old people seem to be content making pennies on their dollars, while banks collect 'service fees' in exchange for nothing instead of giving us at least a portion of the interest that they demand for OUR money. They then kick young people out of their homes for making low payments on variable mortgages with no notice of a rate change. On top of that, they pay up to and over 200% higher insurance rates based solely on their age? Who let this happen with absolutely no repercussion? 'Young people doing nothing'?"

Her: "Well...what are we supposed to do about that"

Me: "Well, since you're terrified of social media for absolutely no reason, it's hard to answer that."

Her: "I'm not afraid of it, it is just a useless waste of time"

Me: "Just a useless waste of time that is revolutionizing the Middle East..."

Her: "As if any kids these days would have time to do that between American Idol and mass texting their friends instead of actually communicating with people"

Me: "Young people are extremely politically active via social media outlets... And texting is now evil too, eh? And alternate forms of communication means less communication? Last time I checked, both of my jobs are organized by text messaging."

Her: "But you're not talking to each other!"

Me: "Your lifetime of false assumptions on reality must be a tragic disorder at best."

She then rolled her eyes and asked to change the topic.

Evidently 'aging' and 'growing up' aren't even remotely synonymous.

Most older folks seem content to drop anchor anywhere, provided it means that they don't have to do any more 'work', yet they call the younger generations "lazy" and "stupid". I'm still not sure how they think that is fair. The baby boom beholds an era of complacent greed that succeeded in little other than further skewing economic gaps, and the younger generations now bear the cross of the older folks' greed and laziness, and all they can do is try to demotivate the younger people as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, when the time comes... don't let yourselves be discouraged by the defeatists! Western civilization wasn't founded by these lazy, complacent, greedy mooks; we can take democracy back, and every single person counts! Don't let yourself turn into these sad, defeated carcasses!
edit on 11-6-2011 by TheOrangeBrood because: (no reason given)

top topics

join