It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Making Steel Stronger and Lighter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
New Way To Make Lighter Stronger Steel(ScienceDaily.com)

ScienceDaily (June 10, 2011) — A Detroit entrepreneur surprised university engineers in Ohio recently, when he invented a heat-treatment that makes steel 7 percent stronger than any steel on record -- in less than 10 seconds.

Lighter, stronger steel using heat treating methods like this could be a window to building structures in space. The simple weight limitations of current steel and other building materials hampers our ability to build structures in space that could house more than just a few people. I believe further study in metallurgical techniques such as this would go a long way toward getting us into space, and staying there.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Very cool, I would rather we implement the use of the plastic material named Starlight. I read this article today and this plastic is more than 2700 times stronger than the tiles on the space shuttles right now, and withstand the heat of 75 Hiroshima's.

Heres the link: www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Nature has us totally beat in the creation of wacky materials, a great example is spider silk.

Did you know that spider silk is actually stronger than steel would be at the same thickness?

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Materials engineering is the answer, building materials from the atom up can create some amazing properties.

Very cool stuff.

top topics

join