It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official suggests Tokyo could become 'uninhabitable'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chevalerous
And when watching these videos I get the feeling that the Soviet's when the horrible accident had occured, acted very swiftly and with great responsibility to get things done with speed.

Do we actually see the same happening right now in Fukushima?

I never in my life thought that I would say this but...don't you also feel that even the pesky Soviet's when the catastrophe was a fact, were showing greater responsibility, acted swiftly and more rapidly to get the necessary work done - and were even more open with information and informing us with all cards on the table after a couple of weeks - much more than what we now can see coming from Japan and the Japanese authorities?
You and I had exactly the same reaction my friend. I was contrasting how much was done by the soviets so quickly after the accident, compared to how little has been done (that we know of) at Fukushima during the same time.

Japan has 200 volunteers willing to give up their lives, but to control Chernobyl, thousands of workers were used. Apparently all 600 of the pilots died trying to seal the open reactor by flying over and dropping stuff in. But I think that sealing the reactor prematurely could have been a mistake, that was one of the contributing factors holding in the heat and making it difficult to bring under control.

The way they dug that tunnel leading to a room they excavated under the reactor was amazing, and they did it without protection of any sort, without adequate ventilation, etc. Yes, there were many heroes at Chernobyl, I'm proud of them after watching that video.

I expect that the people in Japan are studying the Chernobyl response too, to see what worked and what didn't work, in deciding their course of action. But it seems to be taking them too long to get it controlled at Fukushima, their response does pale in comparison to Chernobyl. Maybe Japan isn't as willing to send workers to their death, and maybe they need more than 200 volunteers willing to die? Though Japan is a pretty skilled robot maker, they might be able to build a bunch of radiation-hardened robots, but are they? We just don't know enough about what they are doing, but it doesn't seem like much from what we hear. So I agree completely.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
You can't entomb a reactor that is still melting down. Chernobyl exploded so that's a completely different situation.

I never in my life thought that I would say this but...don't you also feel that even the pesky Soviet's when the catastrophe was a fact, were showing greater responsibility, acted swiftly and more rapidly to get the necessary work done - and were even more open with information and informing us with all cards on the table after a couple of weeks - much more than what we now can see coming from Japan and the Japanese authorities?

Not true at all, they lied about initial radiation levels, they lied about it being an explosion, they covered up previous accidents which resulted in vital knowledge which caused the Chernobyl incident in the first place.
Do some actual research before formulating your opinions.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by modern
You can't entomb a reactor that is still melting down. Chernobyl exploded so that's a completely different situation.

Not true at all, they lied about initial radiation levels, they lied about it being an explosion, they covered up previous accidents which resulted in vital knowledge which caused the Chernobyl incident in the first place.

So you're calling me a liar eh? okey, tell me exactly what I wrote that is a lie??

If you take a look at the posted video documentary in that post about the Chernobyl event (watch all of them to get the correct context and timeline) you will then find interviews with both Hans Blix and Michail Gorbatjov talking about the event - which are in context and is correct with what I wrote in that post.

Hey, I was actually in the military out on a large training exercise in the field those days when the explosion had occured, and we were in the first direct path of the first atmospheric release from Chernobyl in Europe - and the military NBC units and sensors got radiation readings from all over the place.

And I still remember how we took cover from the first rain when it suddenly started to rain in that part of the country.

So I lived through and remember that horrible day when the first fallout occured through rain in our part of Northen Europe. And with this information we knew as our authorities knew (from their sensor readings) that something very terrible had happen somewhere in the South East from us. We were among the first ones in Europe to know this!

Yes, the old Soviet system initially lied about many things regarding this event - but it only took a couple of weeks for them on the highest centralised level to realise the severity of the situation for the rest of Europe, and for them to to give us ALL INFORMATION with ALL cards on the table "officially" and publicy in Vienna, after we had confronted them with our radiation readings and analysis.

And actually, if I remember correctly, for our authorities it only took a few days after our first sensor readings to get the direct "non-official" confirmation from Moscow after we had confronted them with this information.

As I wrote:

and were even more open with information and informing us with all cards on the table after a couple of weeks

That's why I wrote: after a couple of weeks.

And I only said a couple of weeks to be on the safe side regarding the "release of the official confirmation/information through the official channels"

And I know that the explosion in Chernobyl and it's heavy atmospheric release can't directly be compared and applied to the current 'more slow going' meltdown scenario in Fukushima because they are different in nature - but that is not the point in the context of my post regarding the release of the important & vital information to the public.

The point is that the Japanese authorities were covering up important vital information because of reasons of money - they initially wanted to see if they could save the plant to be operational again, and therefore they delayed vital information to the public in the world community.

(Corporate interests before safety and the well-being of their own people and now even the rest of us in the world community)

We might argue that vital important information were even released to the IAEA in the first important 24 hours and the first days of the following week or not - but that doesn't matter either (in context with my post) since none of this important vital information was ever released to the public and never reached the public ears in the world community anyway!

Yes, exactly the same can be said about Tepco and the Japanese authorities in this case!

Not true at all, they lied about initial radiation levels

1. Tepco also lied about the initial radiation levels, they have now admitted them to be at least twice as high as they were initially saying (if we now can even trust those figures from Tepco to be correct - that they were only twice as high?)

they lied about it being an explosion

2. Tepco also lied about their explosions, and they even lied about the multiple meltdowns, when in fact they all had occured in the first days after the Earthquake - see evidence for this in our large thread here in the Japan Forum.

they covered up previous accidents

3. Exactly the same modus operandi as Tepco - see also in the large thread in the Japan Forum.

The point was that the Russians acted more swiftly & with greater resources and with more correct information to the European public (through their channels with certain European Governments) when the cat finally was out of the bag.

That important action taken by the Russians in the following weeks of the horrible event of Chernobyl is now being referred as the important beginning of the real 'Glasnost' between the Soviets and Western Governments in Europe.

So the conclusion IMO is still, that so far, during the whole timeline of the Fukushima event - from day one to now - many of the people of the European public had sometimes even more vital information available from the Chernobyl event, than all the disinformation and the withholding of vital information which officially is coming from Tepco and Japan right now - coming from a westernised so called "democratic society" which is a farce in it self considering this behaviour and modus operandi of withholding vital information to the world community.

Some weeks after the Chernobyl explosion - we already knew from correct information the severity of the event and the possible future impact for Europe, and that most of central Europe was very near to be totally f'cked by a secondary explosion - but they didn't play all of us for fools - food-products withdrawn from all over the place, they told us more correct information and warnings were issued, it was there for all to see in some "trusted" European media who had the balls to write about it!

In comparison with what is happening right now - which more or less could be described as a total media blackout! - heck! it's now even forbidden for japanese journalists to ask questions about it, the Japanese authorities already implemented a total censorship regarding Fukushima.

And the Western corporate media are certainly not far behind with their fascist tendencies of suppressing vital information to the public - especially now regarding Fukushima and it's horrible future environmental impact to our world.

Disclaimer: I wrote that many of the European public had access to vital information, but I am also aware that many Governments in Europe also hindered that information to reach the public. France was unfortunately among one of those countries who denied the longest that any radiation had reached their borders.

But the information was actually there for the French people to read in newspapers from other countries (if they knew those languages of course) and in other European media - so in the end, the few of those European Governments who tried to suppress that information the longest couldn't deny & lie about it anymore - the cat was out of the bag already through certain European newspapers and Government statements!

edit on 12-6-2011 by Chevalerous because: sp

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Nobama

Well, not anymore they don't!
So many will die from radiation poisoning that Hiroshima will look like nothing in comparison. I feel so bad for these poor people. Good luck getting thru TSA at the airport if you are radioactive!

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

This might sound dumb, but as there are more earthquakes in the area of Fukeshima, won't that affect the radiation spread? Like from water movement in the ocean and the melted down rods? Just asking.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join