It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official suggests Tokyo could become 'uninhabitable'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Official suggests Japan could become 'uninhabitable'

www.naturalnews.com

those same reactors have all likely "melted through," a situation that according to Japan's Daily Yomiuri DY is "the worst possibility in a nuclear accident."

And senior political official Ichiro Ozawa suggested in an interview with The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) that the Fukushima situation could make the entire country of Japan "unlivable."
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I'm not subscribed to the WSJ so I couldn't read that interview to confirm, but this sounds like quite a claim! If true, it would have devastating consequences.

Does anybody know more about this, or have access to the WSJ. I suspect the guy is being a bit of an alarmist. But, even if you scale back his claim a bit, it still sounds pretty serious over there.

Japan really seems to learn lessons and make things right, though. If a nation could make something good out of all this, they're ones to be able to do it.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I just found this article on Ichiro Ozawa.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

"I like Americans, but they are somewhat monocellular," the former Democratic Party leader said. "When I talk with Americans, I often wonder why they are so simple-minded."

I am not monocellular! Obviously, another bogus claim, lol.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
I just found this article on Ichiro Ozawa.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

"I like Americans, but they are somewhat monocellular," the former Democratic Party leader said. "When I talk with Americans, I often wonder why they are so simple-minded."

I am not monocellular! Obviously, another bogus claim, lol.

Just for the record, I have TWO cell phones. He's so stupid.

edit on 9-6-2011 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

"could become"

I think Japan has been uninhabitable since the tsunami, and I pray they get the nerve to actually tell the citizens before too much damage is done!

The biggest question now, is how much further will it spread? Will it hit the aquifer and erupt into a giant steam explosion that spreads radiation around the world? Will it go to the sea? Will it sink deep into the mantle and heal itself like a wound on the earth?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
You really do have to stop reading naturalnews.com. Every article there is couched in the most alarmist and misrepresentative sensationalist scaremongering manner, rather than actually reporting news.

As you suspected, its mostly politics. He's critical of the government for not doing enough.
Someone at GLP posted what appears to be the full interview...
GLP

So what he *actually* said, to condemn the government, was "If we do nothing, even Tokyo could become off limits."
But naturalnews put up the screaming headline "Japan could become uninhabitable ", which is NOT what he said at all.
And that the title of this thread as well.
Completely misleading.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
How dare he call me monocellular... wait what does that even mean? haha

I bet he is just mad because the thing between his legs is monocellular just like that Asian guy's in the opening scene of The Hangover 2.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Thanks for the link alfa1, here is the full quote:

"A: Yes. I would have. There is no use in holding back information. We have to decide what to do, based on the premise of the information we have. This problem may be contained in Fukushima for now, but the contamination may spread outside of Fukushima. Anxiety and frustration are growing. People cannot live in the contaminated areas. These areas are becoming uninhabitable. Japan has lost its territory by that much. If we do nothing, even Tokyo could become off limits. There is a huge amount of uranium fuels in the plants, much more than in Chernobyl. This is a terrible situation. The government doesn't tell the truth and people live in a happy-go-lucky"

Sorta sounds like the worst-case scenario claim, which usually does not end up happening.
edit on 9-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by pavil

haha funny!

2nd line

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You are partially right.

Here is the Full Interview Transcript from WSJ

The closest he comes to saying this is....

Q: If you had been in charge, would you have disclosed all the information about the meltdown in the initial stage?

A: Yes. I would have. There is no use in holding back information. We have to decide what to do, based on the premise of the information we have. This problem may be contained in Fukushima for now, but the contamination may spread outside of Fukushima. Anxiety and frustration are growing. People cannot live in the contaminated areas. These areas are becoming uninhabitable. Japan has lost its territory by that much. If we do nothing, even Tokyo could become off limits. There is a huge amount of uranium fuels in the plants, much more than in Chernobyl. This is a terrible situation. The government doesn't tell the truth and people live in a happy-go-lucky...

Still, I don't think it is a big jump to think of a scenario where the whole island is off limits.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by EthanT
I'm not subscribed to the WSJ so I couldn't read that interview to confirm, but this sounds like quite a claim! If true, it would have devastating consequences.

Does anybody know more about this, or have access to the WSJ.
I like your avatar!

This sounds like the same claim made in the Chernobyl video:

Chernobyl disaster (Ukraine 1986) part 4 of 10

According to that video, if the molten core had melted down and contacted the water underneath it, a nuclear explosion might have occurred that could have rendered much of Europe uninhabitable.

Start listening around 3:15 when they talk about a possible second explosion equivalent to 3-5 megatons, and then around 5 minutes they say it would have rendered Europe uninhabitable. It had something to do with the molten core hitting the water underneath it. We may have a similar concern in Japan, if the molten core hits the groundwater underneath the reactors?

So even though I don't consider that naturalnews source too reliable, I'm also not too quick to dismiss the claims there could be a larger problem to come, after watching that Chernobyl video. The only difference is, they haven't tried to "plug" the Fukushima reactors like they did at Chernobyl, that may have been part of the problem, it wasn't letting the heat escape. So all these calls for "entombment" may have been ill-advised. I'm not sure of all the differences between the Chernobyl and the Fukushima situation, but I thought it was alarming that they barely avoided a nuclear bomb type explosion at Chernobyl from melted down core hitting water.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Hold up a minute.

Are you saying the rod could melt a hole in the floor and just keep going

that does not sound good

My blissful ignorance had led me believe they just needed to get some dude in a radiation suit in there with a pair of kitchen tongs to pick the thing up then put it in a lead container.
So if this thing can melt through cement and steel seriously WTF can we do about it??

Its kinda funny but I found a Time mag from Dec last year and some columnist was calling for the US to start building Nuke reactors, I wonder if he and those who agreed with him still think its a good idea?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I don't like the entombment idea, but I think they could build a barrier out several hundred yards using bulkhead seawalls, then pump billions of gallons of seawater in there and circulate it to keep it cooling, and slow the reactions.

I think that might have worked initially, but I don't know if it would work now that a full scale meltdown is confirmed. I also don't know if the resulting steam would be radioactive or not.

Just an idea though. They need to be thinking on a BIGGER scale, instead of trying to fix the existing problem, they need to expand their solution ideas out to a larger scale and then work in.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Are you saying the rod could melt a hole in the floor and just keep going
You never heard of the movie "The China Syndrome"? The name of that movie was based on the idea that the molten core would keep melting down through whatever was in its path. And that movie came out only a few days before the three mile Island accident, which came close to being a "The China Syndrome"

The title is a fanciful term—not intended to be taken literally—that describes one possible worst-case result of a nuclear meltdown, where reactor components melt through their containment structures and into the underlying earth, "all the way to China"

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I haven't heard of them doing anything to resolve this situation. So at this rate I see it happening....So many are in denial and keep riding the ferris wheel. It took 3 months to admit the melt downs. Wag the Weiner has got everyone's attention more than this disaster. So sad to see our standards this low....How depressing. How sad. Absolutely shamefrul. I pray to God to help us save ourselves from self destruction. Amen.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I think it is now the "Somewhere near the South Sandwich Islands syndrome" -- doesn't seem quite so ominous -- unless you are a Sandwich Islander knowing that this glowing blob of radioactivity could just pop up in the back yard

koti.mbnet.fi...
edit on 9-6-2011 by spyder550 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1
You really do have to stop reading naturalnews.com. Every article there is couched in the most alarmist and misrepresentative sensationalist scaremongering manner, rather than actually reporting news.

As you suspected, its mostly politics. He's critical of the government for not doing enough.
Someone at GLP posted what appears to be the full interview...
GLP

So what he *actually* said, to condemn the government, was "If we do nothing, even Tokyo could become off limits."
But naturalnews put up the screaming headline "Japan could become uninhabitable ", which is NOT what he said at all.
And that the title of this thread as well.
Completely misleading.

I prefer naturalnews naturalnews is a alternative source, if you dont like, there always those mainstream news outlets news networks, that lie spin and which ever news story every article there is couched in the most alarmist and misrepresentative sensationalist fear mongering manner.

Such ways as by giving up your liberty's personal health freedom.

And since when did you have a right to tell everyone here to stop reading naturalnews.com?

So what he *actually* said, to condemn the government, was "If we do nothing, even Tokyo could become off limits." But naturalnews put up the screaming headline "Japan could become uninhabitable ", which is NOT what he said at all.

the article is true, off limits in other words does mean uninhabitable, personally the mainstream news outlets are avoiding the nuclear crisis in japan, funny though the mainstream reporters came so quick after the earth quack, yet nothing now it seems like it nothing has ever happened, japan isnt any longer in the top news section.

But somehow the main top story for CNN and other western news outlets is Weiner?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I read naturalnews because their articles usually contain a kernel of truth, even if they do overdramatize and exaggerate the issue. And, they cover important alternative news topics that the mainstream media doesn't

Alos, they typically provide external links, so you can always do your own research to get to the bottom of things.

It's like this article. They had to overdramatize by saying "Japan could become unihabitable". Well, an exaggerated statement. BUT, with a little bit of research, we were able to determine a fairly senior official has said Toyko could become 'off limits'. That's important news, imho, especially since Japanese officials have been understating the events from the very beginning.

So, naturalnews can be useful, even if a bit annoying at times.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by EthanT

That seems like a over statement, but if the situation is really that horrible, could the Japanese become the first mutant race on this planet? Seriously though where would these people go? After all Japan has over 127,960,000 people..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The seriousness of these reactors have been downplayed since this disaster struck months back. The reactor in my Honest opinion needs to be encased similar to Chernobyl to ensure that this is not an on going situation that could get worse as time ticks by.

Scientists and workers in Japan have already been exposed to more than double the dose of radiation that they should receive within their expected lifetimes to continue to allow it is wrong.

~CJ

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join