It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 3rd Degree; Secrecy & the Consequences of Promiscuous Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Found this interesting.

Source

…this was a research based design project culminated in September 2010 at the Bartlett, London. It was borne from earlier fascination and research in self-organizing, bottom-up biological systems and how they could possibly influence new parameters within architecture. It started in a micro-biology lab where the growth, documentation and analysis of slime mould encouraged the creation of a speculative, living architectural material technology- a Material Internet, where the cellular rhythm of slime-mould was harnessed as a biological social-networking system, accessed and deployed through the alchemical relationship it has with gold, essentially communicating by atmospheric engagement through the gold surfaces within Freemason’s Hall in London. In its simplest beta-terminology, it could be compared to a living Morse-code system, where masonic ciphering provided dual coding between the biology of the material and information stored and transmitted within it through the building. The program took on a narrative inspired by Masonic ritual, envisioning the situation and consequences of the users engagement with the living technology through plan, section and axonometric of the Hall that overlaid the biological clock of the Material Internet with a new architectural framework based off the ritual and Solomons Temple, and revealed a strangely interesting set of clues about how the users might utilize this prospective technology through the bodies senses, inevitabley suggesting a new architectural model for constructing the Masonic Temple.

The video documentation from my laboratory growth experiments and analysis of physarum slime mould under differing conditions of temperature, light, humidity and, food path and location. Most riveting of the documentation is the change in cellular rhythm over the duration of the video documentation as the system adapts to the environment of the laboratory, light of the microscope and location of the food I tease it with from the regulated conditions of its regularly kept containment cooler (at 20C). The ebb and flow of the cellular rhythm within the biological system has recently been heavily studied by micro-biologists and computer scientist abroad. However, it is the brilliant Unconventional Computing team at the University of West England at Bristol where the first slime-bot was assembled utilizing the cellular rhythm of the slime mould linked with a micro-fluidic chip.

info.uwe.ac.uk...

In an architectural context, I am interested in this living technology for its alchemical relationship with gold, more aptly with its surreal installation under guilded gold as a material internet capable of storing and releasing secret codes of information through the users environmental engagement with it in built space.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Drawings, tool & photomanage

Below is work from the past 2 weeks that explore at more depth the parameters of the project which I am working on. At the center is the masterplan, incomplete at the moment, but frames the outline of the conception and operation of a slime-mould based, living material internet imbedded through gilded gold and accessed by a component of the human body as it engages the building through gestural ritual (hip-processional via vestibule, eye-touch with light via temple, hand/humb-handshakes via threshold) that occurs within the allegorical projection of freemasonry. The building operates as a metaphorical clock through quarterly lodge meetings, the living material internet operates on a biological clock, slipping between the three life-cycles of slime mould caused by atmospheric changes in its environment (humidity, temperature, light and food source). The internet itself, is a clandestine technology, known only to the highest degree within the society. The slime mould is coded through the Knights Templer ciphor and over laid within the framework of freemasons hall, which the architectural/geometrical framework is coded from the inspiration of the ‘passing through the octagon’ (standing on the cross) masonic cipher. Through dual coding, messages can be recorded and stored through the architectural engagement of the building with the body and revealed through the architecture itself.

The result is an architectural inquiry that is material, technology and event based, situated within a social context with political spice, and ‘occurs’ on the micro-scale, human scale of touch, the scale of the city and the scale of society.

From the same source.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I don't really understand what you're saying here...but are you saying this mold can be used to store bits of information? if so what kind of information are you talking about exactly?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
its a networking system that everyone can tap in to!! I think..

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by oddfuture

ya..."i think" too...but uh...lol...how is the information transfered to the user and how is it decyphered into a meaning? I guess that's what I don't get

new topics

top topics

join