It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pole vaulter’s curse word costs team state track title

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

When Los Angeles (Calif.) Loyola High pole vaulter Evan Barr, who you can see pictured in a practice below, failed to clear his final height at the California state track and field meet, he was understandably disappointed. The miss cost him an individual state title and ensured he would finish in third place instead.

After falling short of clearing the bar, Barr, whom you can see competing at the 2011 California Relays (not the state championship meet) in this video, let out a loud expletive. According to the Los Angeles Times, the curse word inspired judges to disqualify Barr from the event, with his points taken away from Loyola's team total.

That proved to be incredibly costly, as the adjusted points total cost Loyola a state track and field title. Instead, the Cubs finished second, with 32 points, behind Long Beach (Calif.) Poly High's 35 points.

So a kid gets disqualified for useing foul language? Don't they do that, and worse, in the Pros these days? Most kids look up to professional athletes, that is a fact. When something that you percieve as horrible happens, what do you do? Were the judges justfied in their actions seeing as how it basically cost the whole team the state title? I agree that the kid shouldn't be shouting curse words when he faults, but to me this ruling was a bit overkill. Maybe just disqualify him and leave his points for the team instead of taking them away, because thats what realy did the damage. Does it matter that the boy immediately apologized after the incident? People do get cought up in the moment sometimes. Its human nature.

MessOnTheFED!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Sticks and Stones may break my bones,
but words will never hurt me!

More of the little mind games that prepare our children
for complete control over mind body and soul!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ParAvion

It seems peoples virgin ears cant take the pressure of hearing curse words. Disqualified for venting your frustration? Like i said before... Overkill.

MOTF!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
My eyes played a split-second trick on me when I first read the thread title. What I saw was "Paul Volcker's curse word costs team state..."

Anyhoo, I think it's stupid that the judges would go to such lengths. Seems a bit callous and vindictive to me. I realize that cursing is looked upon as being 'unsportsmanlike behaviour' but I think it's better to show a bit of empathy and let little things like this slide every now and again. I blame the judges, not the pole vaulter, on this one.
edit on 8-6-2011 by FlyingJadeDragon because: edit for content

new topics

top topics

join