It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AR vs. SCAR- Is the SCAR Really Worth the Money?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I read a lot about the FN SCAR and watched a few shows that reviewed it when it first came out. My first impression was it is a great weapons system, but it just looks like a gas-piston ar with a different stock.

Well, I was at the gun shop yesterday, and they had one in stock, and told me they'd knock off $500 for me. I was checking it out, and wondered, is it really worth the amount of money they want for these things? I mean, I can get a Ruger SR-556 for around $1500 out the door, or a Sig516 for around the same price. Both are good quality gas piston Ar's. Hell, you can even get a Les Baer gas piston AR for around $2000.

Most SCAR's are close to $3000. With my discount, it would have been somewhere around $2500.

Now, even though the controls are similar and the SCAR is based on the AR platform, there are a lot of differences. SCAR bolt carrier is heavier, action spring is different, cam pin travel slot is longer and less abrupt, the bolt is bigger, the extractor is bigger, firing pin retaining pin is almost double the diameter, there's a lot more contact surface of the bolt carrier to the upper receiver.

There's also the obvious differences, the sights are slightly different, and the stock is different, among other things.

Some of these things I noticed inspecting at the store, some I've read about.

I just don't know if these changes are worth spending the extra cash.

Does anybody have one of these, or shot and compared it to an AR? What's your opinion? Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to shoot one yet.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'd take an AR over a SCAR. I've never shot a SCAR, but it seems too bulky and heavy for my liking. The AR is cheaper, very reliable, maneuverable, and pretty light. Just my two cents though.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by deesul69

SCARS are overpriced in my opinion. They are trying to get rid of the light barreled version as they thought they had the SOCOM contract, but lost it. The US is only buying the HB version at this time. And in limited quantities.

I would go with the Ruger, though the SIG is fine as well.

Myself, I like 7.62 NATO. I love my rifle, but am looking into a Kel-Tec RFB. (I like it's size, but it is difficult to get at the moment)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

That RFB is Wicked!! I recommended it to somebody on another thread and posted some videos.

I think the SCAR is overpriced as well. I just don't see the justification to spend the extra dough on it. I could buy the SR556 and dress it up with a really nice optic, light, laser, etc, and still spend less than the SCAR.

Just figured I'd see what everybody else's opinion is.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

A buddy of mine came across this same dilemma. He ended up buying a Springfield M1A and buying the Troy Industries M1A Chassis kit.. looks freakin' beeaaautiful man!

Troy Industries M1A Loaded

The chassis appears to have virtually eliminated muzzle climb, I would love to do a build like this as well. But personally, if you are going with a .223 or 5.56 round, look at the POF uppers from www.pofusa.com... They are the top of the line piston uppers available. $1200-1500 will get you an upper you'll be drooling over for months. Good luck on your build!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

I should have one before to long. I'll post my review.

My only problem I have with the RFB is that it should have a rail along the bottom front stock, but I'm sure a gunsmith can handle that.

I'l be mounting a Elcan SpecterDR sight on it, with back up flip sights from my current rifle.

Should look right out of a Sci-Fi flick, not that I care.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

The more wicked it looks, the more fun it is!!

Hey have you seen that new KSG shotgun Kel Tec is coming out with? It's a bullpup 12ga. pump with double mag tubes and a 14+1 capacity. Makes me drool

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Yep, looks cool, but will it function reliably over time? Lots of moving parts for a 12 gauge. I like the concept but am going to wait until I see others reviews. I don't have money to burn.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You can buy a conversion kit for the AR 15 that utilizes a piston system. The fact is, the SCAR does not really offer anything new for the price.

The Bushmaster ACR(Formerly the Magpul Masada ACR) at least attempts to put more versatility into it's new multi-caliber tool less assembly/disassembly system, as well as it's ambidextrous controls. The jury is still out on the reliability of this weapon system as I don't believe enough private sector hands have been able to test it yet, and there simply hasn't been ANY battlefield testing done as far as I know.

I simply wouldn't buy either the SCAR or the ACR until 1. the price came down, and 2. the reliability of either system is proven. It may be a while before I abandon the AR/M4 platform for something else.
edit on 9-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Like all FN firearms it's crazy overpriced.

Something happened in the last couple of years that set absurdly high prices for the trendy guns.

The SCAR's and the ACR come to mind as the he's examples.

There is absolutely no real tangible reason they should be selling either of these for even half of their respective MSRP's.

It's like some fake financial bubble all its own.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Agreed. I've seen an increase in 5.56mm chambered fancy looking guns. Lots of hype, but little concrete fact finding. In order to field test these weapons they need to go to war. And before I even bother with them the price needs to drop substantially. I understand the cool factor, but paying 2500- 3000 for a 5.56mm platform doesn't make one cool, it makes one a dope who fell for the hype.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Have you seen the Bulldog SRSS system?
www.shortrifles.com...
Marines are a strange and unique people with whom we are privileged to share this country. the M14 is perfect to me and though heavy and expensive it isn't any worse than dragging an M60 AND the furshlugginer belts everywhere.
Besides you'll like that song he plays
edit on 9-6-2011 by 7thcavtrooper because: I misspelled my slang

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
How about an FNAR if you want a great gun? It is still an FN Herstal and guaranteed to 1/2 M.O.A. accuracy. 7.62x51. I have one and loove it! I've put thousands of rounds through it and it has never jammed! It has a chrome barrel and stays super clean as it has a short stroke gas piston. Was about 1200 bucks.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2580c3a15f14.gif[/atsimg]

ETA: An M1A would be my next choice. Also, I know it is not as "sexy" as a SCAR or some of the other rifles but it is a great rifle.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Wow, you're right, 7th, that SRSS is wicked!!

And that FNAR is definitely added to my wanted list. If they're that accurate out of the box, that's a really great deal. Is it around $1200 as shown with bipod and scope?

My first thoughts were that the SCAR was overpriced, and I'm glad everybody agrees. Hey, Projectvxn, do you think any of the internal changes were needed? I know you have a lot of AR experience.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

The internal 'changes' were not anything new. You can get piston driven ARs today.

The trigger is still a two stage match trigger. The fire control group in general is about what you would expect to see on a piston driven system...I just didn't see anything on that weapon that stood out or was worth the 3 grand. And it's heavier than the M4 which is the system it was built to replace. Even the ACR with all it's bells and whistles is lighter than the M4 by a half pound.

All I'm saying is, if you're going to buy something sexy, buy an ACR. It's really a much better deal. You can get it for 15 or 16 hundred bucks, and it will be more familiar to you over all.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

"SCAR bolt carrier is heavier, action spring is different, cam pin travel slot is longer and less abrupt, the bolt is bigger, the extractor is bigger, firing pin retaining pin is almost double the diameter, there's a lot more contact surface of the bolt carrier to the upper receiver. "

That's some of the differences I found that I listed in my OP, but I wasn't sure if those were usually incorporated along with a gas piston setup or not. I don't have that much experience with them.

The Ruger sr556 looks better and better every day.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

One good thing about the heavier bolt is fewer FTE malfunctions. Which is a good thing. HOWEVER, nothing that can't be fixed. See the bolt carrier weight system in my How to Enhance Your AR Platform Rifle thread. The fact is, even with all of the enhancements I applied to my AR, the AR 15 is STILL cheaper than the SCAR bare bones, and I find that rather ridiculous.

Even the changes made to the SCAR doesn't make it a new gun design in general. I'm just not impressed with it.

Edit:

I will second the regard for the Ruger SR556. It is a very good weapon. A woman I knew while i worked at Reno City Hall had one. Nice rifle, shoots very accurately too.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Sorry to say that the 1200 for the FNAR doesn't include the bipod or the scope. You do get bolt action accuracy in a semi-automatic platform for a decent price though. Again it isn't the most sexy gun but you get a lot of little things for the price. Like the recessed barrel at the tip to prevent damage from banging it around.

It is based on the famous BAR rifle but further refined (also not compatible w/BAR fyi).

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Avoid the FNAR.

It's overpriced for what it is.

Number one reason to avoid it like the plague: proprietary magazines!!

Better off getting an AR-10, M14 or PTR-91.

It's comfortable and it's accurate it's just that like any other luxury toy the upkeep is ridiculous.

If they made it accept a standard magazine I wouldnt have a bad word to say about the rifle but they didnt.
Last I knew FNAR mags were going for $50-$80 and up.

join