It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airline Profits Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I was watching CNN this morning and saw this on the crawler: "Airline Industry profits expected to drop 78% in 2011". I'm sure this is for more than one reason, but, it seems now would be a really good time to speak out against the TSA and the grope and grab passengers have to go through. People are fed up with it and well they should be. If the airlines knew it was hurting their bottom line, they would use their influence to get it stopped. Thoughts ?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Why take flights ? You can hitchhike(Try not to get killed or tossed in a ditch! Bring luggage!) You can drive, boats and trains. Never let the MAN keep you down!

edit on 7-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

There ain't nobody who likes their crouch being fondled by the TSA man that looks like Mr. Bean, ain't it simple ? That is why they have no profits.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Do you know of any tourism statistics?

Are US in-bound tourist numbers also going down?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

That was all the info in the crawler. Paused the tv to post this, but I'm gonna go back and see if they come out with more. Will post any info as I get it. I myself don't fly. I drove to Texas a couple months ago rather than go through The Grope. I'm going back in a few weeks and will drive this time too. It's cheaper and I get to see more of our great country.

money.cnn.com...

Found this. Looks like they're blaming fuel prices. natural disasters and the meltdowns in Japan for the expected losses. With all that's going on around the world, lack of tourism will be a factor I'm sure.
edit on 7-6-2011 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
As someone who is very familiar with the airline industry, I think I have an insider's eye view of the main reason airlines are posting record low profits.

It's not just TSA, folks. While that is a main deterrent to many people who might 'occasionally' fly, I think it might be the fact that the CEO's of most airlines are making their million dollar bonuses and cutting the salaries of all of their paid employees. These same employees are angry, frustrated, over-worked and under-insured. Guess who they take their frustrations out on? The passengers, that's who.

Add to that the over bookings, the late arrivals (most large hub airports like Newark, Chicago, Denver, Atlanta, etc. just aren't equipped to handle the amount of traffic they have) have people screaming mad. Add a few clouds in the skies, and ATC can't handle the flow. (These air traffic control guys are also underpaid, overworked and under-insured)

It's the same as big business everywhere (yes, government, I mean you!) It's the trickle down theory. The only ones making money are the ones at the top....lawyers turned CEO's who know all the ins and outs of how to legally screw the employee out of even more benefits. And guess what? You can't quit and find another job...there aren't any! And there are about 1000 people standing there waiting for you to quit so they can take your job at lower pay than you were working for! The airline would actually prefer that you quit or retire early! More savings!!!

Add to that, the cost of fuel.....airlines have added charges for using the bathroom, food on flights, a blanket or a pillow, etc. in an effort to make more money. The boards of these airlines will never learn....they will continue to cut pay, services, on-time performances, etc., but you can be guaranteed they have a whole lobby of rich, overpaid blowhard lawyers (CEO's) who will continue to make the huge million dollar bonuses!

Sorry, but it's about time the stock holders of these airlines actually began to consider the "little people" who are the bread and butter of their businesses. Until then, money will continue to be lost until there are just no more passengers to fly.

top topics

join