It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona forest fire triggers new evacuation orders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Arizona forest fire triggers new evacuation orders

www.jorbit.com

More than 2,000 firefighters from several states battled a 287-square-mile wildfire in eastern Arizona that forced the evacuation of mountain communities and the closure of roads and a key highway as it burned its way through dry timber and brush
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.jorbit.com

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Paradise, as well as East Whitetail Canyon, was evacuated in advance and the nearby Chiricahua National Monument was closed as a precaution. Crews set backfires and kept the blaze from about a dozen occupied homes and other vacation residences.
Two summer cabins and four outbuildings were consumed by flames in recent days but weren't reported earlier because crews couldn't reach them to assess damage, fire management spokeswoman Karen Ripley said late Sunday night.
we really want an order? comment here.

www.jorbit.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
My buddy left 2 days ago to go and fight the Fire there... I haven't heard from him yet... I assume he's doing well though and this isn't his first rodeo either... Been doing crazy adventures ( that's what I call it ) like this for over 15 years now... Reguardless, now that my buddy is there this thing will be put to rest in no time

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
In New Mexico, we've been breathing the smoke from this fire for the past week. It's not so bad now, but a couple days ago it was stifling! And the sun is blood red every night as it goes down between here and the fires. I hope they get this under control soon...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
So I guess the Arizona drought hasn't ended then. Going on 16 years now I think?
Forest fires are not a natural part of desert ecology. This sort of thing is devastating to that kind of ecosystem.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

The fire is near a town called "Alpine". It's at 8000 feet elevation and is filled with pines and forest. It's not in the desert as many think of "desert".
Fortunately, we had our first rain of the season last night! What a relief!

Here is an image of the fire 4 days ago:

edit on 6/6/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

top topics

join