It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone is stealing radioactive materials, is a pattern forming? Do they even realize what they stol

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
It doesn't look to be a terrorist plot unless they have thousands of signs. Most likely the word is out with kids that you can get free light for your clubhouse by stealing an exit sign.

The radioactive decay product of tritium is a low energy beta that cannot penetrate the outer dead layer of human skin. Therefore, the main hazard associated with tritium is internal exposure from inhalation or ingestion. In addition, due to the relatively long half life and short biological half life, an intake of tritium must be in large amounts to pose a significant health risk.

Tritium is used in some self-illuminating exit signs to light the exit in the event of an electrical outage or a fire. Signs often have several curies of tritium in them. If the exit signs were severely damaged, HT gas might escape into the local area, but it should be dispersed by ventilation or wind quickly. The damaged sign would be expected to have relatively high levels of tritium on it, and should not be handled without gloves.

The risks from tritium are small, due mostly to:

1. it is a low energy beta emitter;
2. chemically behaves like water in the body (forms HTO or T2O - water);
3. has a 12.3 year half-life.

While not impossible, a large enough dose to cause any significant harm to a person is unlikely. It is a hazard, and should be treated like any other. Some basic precautions can minimize the risks, such as not handling a broken sign or sight with bare hands, ventilating an area where tritium is stored and proper disposal of used or damage tritium objects.

Source

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

Wow interesting research there Lord.

I never heard anything about "The Radioactive Boy Scout."

It just goes to show you how anyone, even a kid, can figure this stuff out and start playing with it in very dangerous ways.

It said the levels of radiation near his reactor-shed (haha) were up to 1000 above normal background levels. That's totally insane honestly. I can't believe he refused to be scanned, but then again, I am sure he knew all too well that he had been exposed to it. I wonder how Hahn's health is doing for him today? If he is even still alive, that is.

Perfect example of a kid out looking to collect radioactive materials for whatever reasons. It is a dangerous world out there, even if no one has bad intentions. This kid just wanted to learn and be a scientist, he had no intention of hurting anyone. But look at the Pandora's Box he was opening! He could have hurt himself and others nearby easily, if they weren't hurt in the first place.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ludshed
Interesting, tritium is an element in the heavy metal/radioactive isotope category. I would imagine some of you have trace amounts in your house right now. It is whats used in c-more, tru-glo and meprolite sights for weapons. Half life of 12 years, allows you to see your aim right out of the drawer in the middle of the night. More disturbing is what else it's used for, it is the primary trigger mechanism in a nuclear fission bomb. If you were going to try something massive (false flag) signs and night sights would be the most readily available means of acquiring it "off the radar".

I would imagine we have a lot more forms of contamination around our houses ! Think of all the electronics we handle and all of the household chemicals etc. We have dozens if not hundreds of forms of contamination per household on average I would assume.

That is actually the reason I posted the information in the first place, because of the potential for some behavior like this to actually lead to a dangerous situation. Trust me I don't want another false flag event, especially one involving radioactive materials. Yikes!

A dirty bomb was the first thing I thought of because that would be possible with low quantities of these things.
Also it doesn't take a genius to build it either.

All kinds of possibilities exist. It really is a great exercise for the brain to consider all of these potentials and examine their consequences.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Hahn had an active Myspace account previous to a 2007 arrest(collecting more matierials). He may have new one, i am not sure. i did correspond with him for a time too. the radiation got to him though, or he just snapped. it a sad story really. i hope no one is trying to recreate what he did.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Easy access to Radioactive waste for a dirty bomb can be found anywhere the US has dumped Depleted Uranium.
It's all over Iraq and Afghanistan waiting to be gathered up and send back home.
And there will be people willing to collect it for their cause.

They know it works because their children are being deformed by it.

You reap what you sow.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

You can add "regular" gasoline to that list. You know regular 87.

Just for raising hell and all, I'll tell you a goody....

Truckers with tanks would be paid to drive up and down I-95 between the major cities (Philly,NY,Bridgeport,
Boston, and southward all the way to FLA. with their drain spickets open just a trickle. Ever driven behind an
18 wheeler tanker and notice liquid dripping out? Turns out it was cheaper to pay a union driver to run up and
down the highway leaking it out the spicket than to pay the EPA landfill fees.

HEYYYY What A Ya gonna Do about it? Hey Whaddaya gonna doo? Lets go Mets!

Most conspiracy is just corruption. The fun part is throwing in the space alien part.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join