It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What can I do with my old win95 desktop?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hello everybody, I've been wondering. I've got an old windows 95 sitting around gathering dust, and I don't know what to do with it. I generally use old computers as "work horses" for downloading large files, or file conversions or whatever. I doubt this computer has the specs or space to be useful like that at all.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea's regarding it.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
door stop???

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by xxsomexpersonxx

Make an emulator box for the old gaming consoles or set it up as a firewall for your main system.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

throw it off your roof

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Keep it and pass it to the grand kids. In 70 yrs, it may be worth something as a collectible. Wait, we won't be here that long...Never Mind.

Target Practice.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Gut it and make a mini-stealth grow cabinet out of it

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

You could install a minimal linux distro on it and use it as a server.
If it has enough ram then it would be more than enough for a small website, fileserver, mail server, ircd server or similar.

Or you could use it for old win9x and dos games like someone else suggested.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Typically I either turn em into prop controllers for my Halloween display or I yank the power supply to use to power my Halloween props and junk the rest.

In my world just about everything is recyclable for Halloween usage.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Load it to the hilt with mp3s, build a flashy box for it and turn it into a permenant jukebox with a snazzy sound to music screensaver.

Sorted.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Snot much. You could use it as a file server or something. But other than that it probably doesn't have enough horsepower to do anything useful.

You could donate it to goodwill.
If you paid 1500 for it. You could claim it to be 1500 and get a nice tax writeoff.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
Hello everybody, I've been wondering. I've got an old windows 95 sitting around gathering dust, and I don't know what to do with it. I generally use old computers as "work horses" for downloading large files, or file conversions or whatever. I doubt this computer has the specs or space to be useful like that at all.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea's regarding it.

Thanks.

Sell it on Ebay as an antique. Somebody somewhere would pay dearly for such an old machine. My uncle recently sold an old Apple, the one you pull out the computer pat and take home with you after work? He got $1200 for it. Good luck.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I've always refered to old disabled computers as canoe anchors. Just destroy the hard drive first.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It would make a lovely boat anchor.

Seriously, though, you could use it as "honey pot" if you're really into network security stuff.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Give it to me.

Windows 95 is the best.
edit on 6-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I have a Pentium III that I'm turning into a processing unit for a time machine, when I'm done...
I'll send you back to the 14 century so you can freak people with your windows 95 singing magic box thing.
or make it a game emulator for the really bored.
or give it to NoseRed,he's bored.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thank you guys for the advice.

I'll be considering the 'jukebox' route. If I could set it up to boot automatically to playing music, and run without a screen, that would be cool. Add in using the keyboard to make specific selections, and that'd be a good idea.

Not sure though, probably won't have much use for it besides novelty.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
You could upgrade it to Linux to try something new.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxsomexpersonxx
Thank you guys for the advice.

I'll be considering the 'jukebox' route. If I could set it up to boot automatically to playing music, and run without a screen, that would be cool. Add in using the keyboard to make specific selections, and that'd be a good idea.

Not sure though, probably won't have much use for it besides novelty.

From an energy/wattage position,that's not a very energy efficient Mp3 player.
Get an mp3 player.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You know what - keep it as a spare, a backup. I had Windows 95 and then 98 on my previous PC. (It only had a 10 Gb hard drive.) I also have plenty of software for it. That PC broke. I replaced it with a new PC, with e.g. Windows 7. Virtually none of that software works on Windows 7. And, the Windows 7 Search function is useless. Annoying. (At least if I had a Windows 98 backup PC here at home, I could use that for the software.)

join