It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No proof vegetables are behind Europe's bacteria outbreak, say scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

No proof vegetables are behind Europe's bacteria outbreak, say scientists

www.new s.com.au

SCIENTIFIC analysis has failed to show that contaminated vegetables are behind Europe's deadly E. coli outbreak, the EU's Reference Laboratory for E.coli in Rome said yesterday.

Read more: www.news.com.au... V
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
So all of a sudden we have not got Spain to blame, and more panic as unknown origins of This new bacteria, or rare bacteria starts killing people.
Is this biological warefare? Terrorism? or Poor Hygene?

I do not know any more as one day there is an official story about something, on the next it changes.

What is this all about?

www.new s.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-6-2011 by guessing because: washing hands

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That is extremely interesting news. Consider some of the points made here in this thread: www.abovetopsecret.com...

(not saying you made a duplicate, OP, it's new info clearly)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
No proof is putting it mildy! Days ago, Germany announced that they'd made a mistake and the Spanish cucumbers are definately not the source. But this came after sales of all vegetables and fruits in Spain were completely stopped up and tons of vegetables thrown out. The Spanish depend upon this market so heavily that it has been a huge catastrophy for them! They are demanding a public apology and want Germany to cover their financial losses.

They really screwed up making that announcement so quickly. Especially since the load of cucumbers they were originally accusing had all accidently been dumped on the ground in Germany on arrival- and they knew that at the time they jumped to the claim about the source.
Spain is going to press charges.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by guessing

E. Coli is not a new or rare bacteria.

Where did you get that idea?

E. Coli is about as run of the mill food bacteria that you can get..
edit on 3-6-2011 by Miraj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
So, who let the monster out the cage?

where did this "super bug" come from?

Was it Bayer? Pfizer? Maybe Eli Lilly?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by guessing

E. Coli is not a new or rare bacteria.

Where did you get that idea?

E. Coli is about as run of the mill food bacteria that you can get..
edit on 3-6-2011 by Miraj because: (no reason given)

It is a new strain of E. Coli .

That is being described all over the media the last two days.

A new and more virulent strain of the E coli bacterium caused the outbreak that has killed 17 people and left more than 1,500 ill across Europe, the World Health Organisation has announced.

Hilde Kruse, a food safety expert at the WHO, told the Associated Press it was "a unique strain that has never been isolated from patients before ... [its characteristics] make it more virulent and toxin-producing".

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
E-Coli is not new
However GMO e-coli is very much new

If that's what it is, i'm not saying it is but it could be GMO E-Coli

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by coquine
No proof is putting it mildy! Days ago, Germany announced that they'd made a mistake and the Spanish cucumbers are definately not the source. But this came after sales of all vegetables and fruits in Spain were completely stopped up and tons of vegetables thrown out. The Spanish depend upon this market so heavily that it has been a huge catastrophy for them! They are demanding a public apology and want Germany to cover their financial losses.

They really screwed up making that announcement so quickly. Especially since the load of cucumbers they were originally accusing had all accidently been dumped on the ground in Germany on arrival- and they knew that at the time they jumped to the claim about the source.
Spain is going to press charges.

As a linguist I want to say that this is the first time I've ever seen a perfectly correct and coherent sentence about originally accused cucumbers.

In a much bigger picture this is great for Spain to be suing and it was crazy of Germany to make those declarations.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
This outbreak could possibly be linked to contaminated liquid manure/fertilizer. This has been the link in some outbreaks in the past back in 2006/2007. Even feral hogs have been known to contaminate once fertile field with their feces and associated bacteria. Gotta look deeper in the local farming practices as well. !@#$ has a tendency to roll downhill and flow downstream.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Not a good time to be a Vegan.....as if there ever was a good time.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've read in another report what makes this bacteria so special is that it uses a kind of glue.

The latest news on the killer bug came as scientists discovered the strain combines a highly poisonous but common toxin with a rarely seen "glue" that binds it to patients' intestines.

link to source

The article on Reuters mentioned how the bacteria appears to be a hybrid of 2 bacteria AND has a special kind of toxin.

Stephen Smith, a microbiologist at Trinity College in Dublin said this strain appeared "to be a hybrid of two different E. coli types, which are nasty themselves."

The hybrid strain also contains the Shiga-like toxin from Enterohaemorrhagic E.coli, he said. This toxin binds to and damages kidney cells and can lead to potentially fatal HUS.

www.reuters.com...

Not saying I believe this to be an engineered bacteria but it does appear strange or at least unusual. No known origin, a cross of 2 different bacteria, a toxin, a glue mechanism all in one critter. But I guess as long as I do what I always do, wash my hands and heat my food there's little to worry.
edit on 3/6/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/6/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
E-Coli is not new

You read my mind! I was thinking the very same thing when I read it!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Good thing I grow my own potatoes, collards, squash, watermelon, cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes and like 8 other things and some things you can smoke to make it all taste better. So it wouldn't effect me either way.

It doesn't surprise me, with the world's population skyrocketing year after year, the more demand for everything faster making suppliers and farmers be less particular of being clean, and just a world full of people that do nothing but litter and waste things and making places just nastier, it is giving full go for viruses to mutate and do what ever else they can manifest into.

It could be anything, or everything. Just wait to see if it apexs or spreads before you get worried.

Learn how to grow your own feed folks, its not that hard onces you fail once and find what you did wrong, after that you will hardly ever go to the market for vegs.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
anyone thought that they maybe trying to put spain in to a position were they need a bail out. lets face it there close enough as it is and something like this could push them towards the bail out. whatever it is its shady.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
E-Coli is not new

If it is GMO - Coli, then what does that mean? Does it increase the chances of pandemic?

I can't see that it is transfered human to human at this stage... Where is it coming from then?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
How dare they accuse Spanish cucumbers.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Being here in Germany I don't see this all too dramatically.
One of these days I just was preparing a salad, when the news told, that there were more and more cases in my region. So I lost my appetite and did not want to serve this to my family and threw it away.
The day before yesterday my kid was sent home from school, because she suffered from pain in the stomach and diarrhoe. I watched her and saw, how she became better after a very long session on the toilet. I also called the office for health in our town to ask them, if there was anything known about an increase of cases in our town, but there was none.
So I relied on my own judgement, talked about the things we ate the day before and got relieved by the child herself, because she looked better every minute.

Of course, it is not helpful, that they are still guessing where the source is. It is not helpful to tell us, these are cucumbers from Spain or the tomatoes. (By the way, they just brought in the news, that Spain is not going to accuse Germany, but that both countries are thinking about measures to help the farmers, who ALL have losses right now.)

But the media makes things bigger than they are right now. First thing to think about is: Don't panic! Wouldn't help anyways, even if it would really hit us next time.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Siddharta

It seems a bit rough that 17 people have died from a bacteria though... don't you think?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JAGx1981

but it not coming from the salad vegetables

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join