It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois man faces 75 years in jail for videotaping cops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I just have no words for this. No way in freaking hell I would go to jail over this. No way. Just no way. I wouldn't be taken alive anyway. No way in freaking hell I would spend the rest of my life in jail over videotaping cops.

Valley Man Faces 75 Years In Prison For Recording Law Enforcement

Michael Allison faces 75 years in prison for recording law enforcement officials without their consent in Robinson, Illinois.

Illinois is one of the states applying old eavesdropping and wiretapping statutes to new technologies like cell phones or anything else that records audio.

Those laws technically make it illegal to record on-duty law enforcement officials without their consent. The penalty for that crime here in Illinois, is a class 1 felony.

Any judge who convict this man over this needs to be disbarred. Any cop who will arrest the guy need to be kicked out of the force, without pension. Any juror who votes to convict this guy needs a serious reality check.

What I fear is that this will end up at SCOTUS and that those bastards will make this law constitutional.

This case is making my blood boil...

Remember a year ago :
Three US states make recording police activity illegal

“[In three states] it is now illegal to record an on-duty police officer even if the encounter involves you and may be necessary to your defense, and even if the recording is on a public street where no expectation of privacy exists.” -Are Cameras the New Guns?

Illinois, Massachusetts and Maryland... supposed ``liberal`` states...
edit on 2-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
yep another step for the police state
hoping your politicians will do anything but encourage this is funny
tho they might pretend too if only for show.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Any judge who convict this man over this needs to be disbarred. Any cop who will arrest the guy need to be kicked out of the force, without pension. Any juror who votes to convict this guy needs a serious reality check.

When Ron Paul assumes power and begins his Glorious Purge of this country's government, perhaps the judges who do these things will find themselves swept up in his dragnet.

It will be glorious. The Rule of Law will be restored.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

This is it we come to the realization of the notion that the Police are really just paid criminal thugs; there to protect the Establishment(Illegal Government) And the Corporations.

They are thugs in uniform collecting taxes and preying upon innocent people.

Nothing less nothing more.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
police make them selves look bad so bad. i mean lets put a guy in prison for video or adio recording.,, effing insane! thay got some nasty dark karma i want no part of

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
police make them selves look bad so bad. i mean lets put a guy in prison for video or adio recording.,, effing insane! thay got some nasty dark karma i want no part of

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Yeah, taking an image of a cop in the USA is kinda like doodling mohammed in the middle east - there are senseless penalties.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I seriously hope this wakes some people up who are still in denial about the police state we live in.
Buuuut, since it doesn't directly affect most people it probably won't.

This country that you call America is a prison with smaller prisons inside of it.
If you don't obey the rules of the "Big Prison".......you get put into one of the several "smaller prisons"!
If you don't obey the rules of the "smaller prison" then you get put into an even SMALLER prison called solitary or for those of us who have lost their freedom before, as it is affectionately called....."The Hole"!!!

This country is what we have allowed it to become and this man deserves what he is getting just the same way you and I will deserve it WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN...it happens to us!!!

Those who will not fight for the freedoms and liberties of others will have their own taken from them as well.
edit on 2-6-2011 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I couldn't find anything on the source that linked to the video story. If anyone saw it, did it address that the law stated that people could video tape in pubic or in open meetings? Otherwise, anyone who gets caught in a family videotaping their vacation would have grounds for having them arrested. And officers being public servants shouldn't have reason to expect privacy unless they are in a secured room that would provide said privacy.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
if the penalty is 75 years, then just kill the cops, you're going to die in prison anyway..i guess this is the message the law is sending...sounds reasonable...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by anumohi
if the penalty is 75 years, then just kill the cops, you're going to die in prison anyway

That is not good.

By making the jail penalty for shooting cops with a camera the same as the penalty for actually shooting cops, what do they expect will happen?

It is almost like this judge wants this to happen - how else can it be explained? Stupidity? Cruelty?

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
The "tough on crime" mantra parroted by soccer moms and seniors has taken shape in the exact opposite way they envisioned...but lots of black people are locked up, so no one will complain.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I am a US citizen currently living in a country with an absolute dictator...

... and the law is the same here.

How interesting.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This is one of the reasons we are moving to Texas. Outrageous tax hikes, stupid laws that are not for the protection of the people, but of the real criminals, police and government. These are people who have chosen, of their own free will, a job that can be dangerous and interacting with the public is the main part of the job. Yet they are being put ABOVE the ones they are supposed to protect and serve. THEIR rights and privacy comes first. We are just a way to get money for the crooks in suits. The people of this state need to stand up and say NO MORE.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Duplicate Thread. This one is closed.

top topics

join