It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Listing Gun Owners Might Help Criminals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Listing Gun Owners Might Help Criminals

economix.blogs.nytimes.com

Gov. Pat Quinn of Illinois is considering signing a bill that would prohibit state officials from publicizing lists of registered gun owners. The economics of crime suggests that such a list would put potential victims at a disadvantage and help criminals.

Earlier this year, the state attorney general, Lisa Madigan, asked the Illinois State Police to make public its list of registered gun owners.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So lets look at both sides...
we all know if they publish this list the first ones to read it will be the bad guys...

now do you really think they will be making lists of houses to avoid... or what houses to break into so they can get their hands on a gun????

either way... if I lived there... I would rather hide my guns than have my name posted...

economix.blogs.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Agreed, similar to the idiots back when who went on the anti gun campaign and put signs in their front yards, "This is a firearm free home"!
LOL, instant target!

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I bet that if he doesnt sign that bill that home invasions will triple in Illinois.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I believe that publishing the lists of gun owners would be not only dangerous, but an invasion of your civil rights. A person has a right to privacy. There aren't public lists that state if you are a millionaire or if you have a home security system. The reason is that it not only invades your given right to privacy but it is an incentive to rob your home.

If a home invader has a list that shows that House A does not own a gun, but House B does, which house do you think they are going to break in to?

A dangerous, and reckless law to pass and precedent to set.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What's the argument FOR publishing this list? I can't think of a decent reason anyone would want that. I guess maybe it could serve as a list of people you don't want to piss off.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

Probably so a person could move into a "friendly" environment free of the fear of a gun going off inadvertently.
I say let the non gun owners all live together, we know what neighborhoods would be safe and which will have huge crime.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
This is slightly off topic but a question I was curious about. What is the right to self defense in Illinois? I live in MD with gun laws slightly stricter than yours in the ownership department (no cc permits except for cops/military/multiple threats on your life with strict state police and batf oversight, limit on purchases, etc) and we have only slim right to self defense meaning, if someone does break into your home and you fire at them, you'll be charged with murder/attempted murder unless they have a gun already pointed at you or a family member or have fired a shot. I guess my question to you is if you are targeted and protect yourself will you be prosecuted as well? Also, an opinion question involving this list, do you believe if this violation of privacy happens and someone is targeted, do you believe civil reparations for the government's role in the criminal action is plausible, would it be a right of the citizen to sue the state for putting them in danger in the first place?

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This list is nothing more than an attack on gun owners to make them stand out like lepers in a beauty contest. That way, gun owners can be incrementally relegated to the fringes of society as mentally unstable, and prone to be "home grown terrorists".

This is a good example of what it means to "criminalize normal behavior". Having a desire to defend yourself, your family, your way of life, and what you have worked hard for in life, is now becoming politically incorrect.

They real criminals are hoping that rewriting societal norms, and peer pressure will do part of the job of disarming the public for them. Then, down the road, when they write sweeping legislation criminalizing all gun owners, it will be much more palatable to the public as a whole.

At the same time, they will continue reducing availability of ammunition. As well as making it unreliable, and much more expensive to buy, and to do your own reloading.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The Plain Dealer has done this in the past. I can't stand that rag. I only buy on Sundays for the coupons, which end up paying for the paper.

I have heard (hence no source) there has been talk around Ohio of not only naming CCW permit holders, but addresses and what weapons they own as well. I don't see it happening, but the way some of the liberals and union goons act around these parts, I don't put it past them to try it.Maybe to the point of staging a false flag op aroung the time it comes to vote.

Just look how Operation Gun Runner and Operation Fast and Furious are working out. I haven't heard much lately about those investigations other than the BATFE and DOJ are stonewalling.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Those are just more "Jack Booted Thug" tactics...
they threaten us with having our names made public in hope we'll just hand over our firearms...

But that's why I have two piles... one the government knows about... and.... lets just call them, spare parts section...
Damn I got a lot of spare parts now that I look...

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
What's the argument FOR publishing this list?

To fuel mass paranoia among the idiot hoplophobes and use the momentum to push a new "soccer mom is scared" era of gun control legislation.

Same difference with concealed carry vs. open carry. The thought is the more attention to bring to it the more likely the tyrants will be to organize against you.

For some reason these people are happier when blind and ignorant.

Think nothing of the guy in the booth behind you with the concealed 1911.

But if you could see it? Oh my. The world is about to end unless you get that monsters rights revoked.

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BirdOfillOmen
What's the argument FOR publishing this list?

So they know whose doors to bust down first when they install martial law. Seems owning a gun legally is more dangerous these days than picking one up off the streets. With these kind of laws you better hope you don't have to fix your plumbing, might run the risk of getting raided by the batfe for "intent to produce explosive devices."

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
What you have here is an anti second amendment IL State Attorney General who is being a smart Alice and is up to no good for no other reason than to start something. This request has no reason for it that can be justified with the needs of the attorney generals office. I am betting this is a Democrat ladder climber who wants to go further than state AGs office. This request is for that AG to earn her anti second amendment street cred in the Democrat party so to speak.

new topics

top topics

join