It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Anti-Tank Missile May Give Iraq Extra Punch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
When the U.S. Army recently lost a pair of its ultimate ground battle vehicles, the M1 Abrams tank, to Iraqi ground forces fighting in southern Iraq, the knock-out punch came from a weapon Iraq was not expected to have � a Russian missile called the Kornet-E.

The Kornet defeats explosive armor by using dual warheads of shaped charges. The first destroys the tank's protective layer of explosives, allowing the second warhead to burn through the metal beneath, with catastrophic results.

Unlike other anti-tank weapons believed to be in the Iraqi arsenal, the Kornet-E can be used against coalition tanks in any kind of weather, day or night. Its laser-guided system makes it extremely difficult to counteract, say military analysts.

Also, the launch of a Kornet is difficult to spot. Coupled with a hard-to-detect guidance system, analysts say the missile could be used against low-flying helicopters vulnerable to its high-explosive warhead.

What's more, the Kornet can carry another type of warhead called thermobaric or incendiary explosives. These munitions release a fine spray of fuel before denotation. The resulting explosion creates a rapidly expanding fireball that literally consumes all oxygen within an area.

Report Link

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 12:45 AM
link   
damn them alsways tryin to undermine us and stuff. what is up with that anyway? at any rate this is bad news for us, worse news for the russians. these atw's are going to give us a rocky road once we get into the baghdad battle.

posted on Mar, 29 2003 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Russia is concerned as to the success of the United States it will make them look bad if the US effort results in a quick victory. This is because of there war with Chechen separatist, if you look to see how long that has lasted you would understand where I am coming from.

There are other issues with Russia as well and they do relate to there technology.

Have you ever wondered why the Russian Republic has never produced a vehicle for mass production? For that matter why China has no navy?

About 10 years a Russian Scientist was assigned to me he had just been granted status in the US. The mans resume as about 24 pages long (he as in his 50s) and included a top secret security clearance with the KGB (interestingly enough some of his experience included working with nuclear materials).

One day we were talking and I inquired as to the above questions, I was curious and had also heard that in Russia, many cars had porcelain engines and bodies made of plastic.

This is what he told me......

During the advent of the cold war the leaders of the Soviet Union were very concerned about the Americans potential for developing satellite technology. They were so concerned that they concluded it to be in there best interest to perform a majority
of there nuclear test (A and H bomb), within that countries mountain ranges.

At the time they had no idea as to the issue of half-life in respect to how long the minerals, that were in those mountains would remain radioactive.

So the reason that Russia cannot mass produce the equivalent of say a Mercedes Benz, is because anyone who got inside such a car would be dead of radiation poisoning within a week.

He also informed me that China has the same problem.

new topics

join