It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Pow-wow" is a unique creole of Christian theology and a shamanistic belief system: complete 1820

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This little thread doesn't really fit in any one of ATS's current categories... this book is not about religion per say but rather a look back at what our ancestors did and believed... this come from an age where illness came from breathing bad air or encountering evil spirits... Prayer only went so far....

I want you now... you might want to pass on most of these remedies... but as a peek into what life was like nearly 200 years ago, it is a compelling glimpse into the past...

I'm going to send you to the Sacred Texts web site to read this... each small section is on it's own page... look at the bottom of each page and you'll see where to click to read the next helpful hint...
I'll send you to the first page but so you have some idea as to what you'll be reading, here I will copy paste the forward.

Written by a Pennsylvania Dutch healer in the 1820s, this book is a rambling collection of rural home remedies and folk invocations. Pow-wow is a unique creole of Christian theology and a shamanistic belief system. It is still practiced in some rural areas of Pennsylvania. In spite of the name, it is not of Native American derivation. It is believed to have been brought over to America by German immigrants who practiced folk-magic.

This little book includes healing spells, binding spells, protective spells, talismans, wards and benedictions. As for the home remedies, we don't recommend you try any of them (e.g., if you have scurvy we suggest that you get some limes. And if your livestock are sick, please have a veterinarian look at them.) The text is also of historical interest, as it paints a vivid picture of the miseries of rural American life in the early nineteenth century. The original is very rare.

Click here for page 1... A good Remedy for Hysterics

posted on Jun, 1 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thankyou for sharing s+f
Have a deep respect for native american culture, and have always found interest in how shamans work
Will look further into that, my friend

May love be with you

join