It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappearing Stars from a Conditioned Skeptic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
This thread will be a two topic thread for I cannot explain it any other way. The first will deal with the observation I and several others witnessed. The second is with my reaction to it.

This weekend I was at Angel Fire, NM with my family. It is pretty high in altitude @10,000 Ft. above sea level but the weather and terrain were beautiful, clear skies as far as you could see. Well on Saturday night we were outside with several others enjoying a few drinks, it was early about 9:45 pm. Anyway, I was looking up at the sky as I normally do, but given the low light pollution out there it is almost impossible not to notice the beauty in the skies at night. As I sat around looking I noticed a star disappear, it wasn't the brightest star in the sky, but it wasn't the dimmest either. About a second later it reappeared. I mentioned this to those around me and we all started looking in the general direction it happened, then it happened again to a different star close by. Same exact experience, disappeared and then one second later it reappeared and this time 2 others noticed it also. Visually now I tried to draw a line between the 2 stars that disappeared and looked further ahead to the next closest stars in line with the first two. Sure enough they blinked on and off just like the first two except this time it was 2 stars that were in close proximity. If I had held a ruler in the air at arms length with one eye closed I would say they were about a cm apart. The sky was as clear as it gets, none of us saw any objects, lights, shadows or anything that looked out of the ordinary. I dismissed this as a personal experience I could not explain. And there were absolutely no clouds!
Later on that night though, I couldn't get this out of my head. I do have OCD and I knew there must be an explanation for what I witnessed. Well all of a sudden, call it an epiphany, I realized something else. It seems in the last 5 years I have been conditioned and my views altered. I had an experience with a UFO with several friends in HS years earlier, it is what sent me looking further into these topics. That night the excitement, adrenaline rush type feeling that came over all of us was overwhelming. But on this Saturday night there was no real excitement, no adrenaline rush, no nothing for me! Just my observation and my minds attempt to understand it. In fact the people with me were more excited and they didn't seem to cater to the whole ET phenomena.
Well, my attention has shifted now. It has become all too clear, somehow me, a person that believes completely in ET life beyond our horizon, no longer caters to the UFO phenomenon. Years earlier I would have catered to this being a UFO sighting and tried to explain it down. Now I find myself looking at this as a natural phenomena with extreme possibilities not ruled out.
The only thing I can compare this to is like when you realize Santa Clause isn't real anymore. You still know you are going to get a present from your parents but the mystery and magic is gone. Now all this has me wondering about my reaction to many other subjects also, from conspiracy theories to 2012.
I can't place blame on this to just one source but I think the TV shows, websites, numerous threads about ridiculous claims, news headlines and radio talk shows have altered my views and how I experience life without me even realizing it.
Does anybody else fell this way too?
Has your views of the world changed somehow also recently?
And if someone has a similar experience to what I witnessed or an explanation please reply.
Thanx. . . AB
edit on 5/30/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

Let me get this straight. So you used to think that flickering stars were somehow UFOs...But now you realize that it's just the way stars "work"? And now you don't subscribe to that idea anymore?

Because when you say it's like "When you find out Santa isn't real anymore", i'm trying to figure out if you now don't believe in extraterrstrial life. Which would be absurd.

Here's a true story: Me and my cousin were sat up into the early hours of the morning (06:30am) a few years ago, playing a footballc (Soccer) game on his PS3. So we lay down to get some shut eye, but lay awake for a while talking.

I was facing the window, and after about 5 mins I saw (What I thought was) a shooting star. It was travelling at an unimaginable velocity and was a firey red colour. But the next thing I know this "Shooting Star" entered into our atmosphere opened up "Red Wings" and started hovering in our earths atmosphere a few miles above our heads.

I shook my cousin like crazy to tell him to get up and witness this unreal event. We both watched until we could no longer see it over the horizon...and it was travelling in a zig zaggy way.

What' is piece of mind for me is my cousin witnessed it with me, and doesn't deny it happened like alot of people would do. I can tell people about it and he'd be like "Yeah, It was amazing". But i'd be more fanatical about it lol.

So who really knows about the stars, what they are and where they come from? Apart from well accepted theories, there is actually no EVIDENCE! Anything and everything is possible in this universe!

Anyway your mentioning of stars and UFOs led me to telling my story again, for about the 5th time on this site lol.

S & F
edit on 30-5-2011 by Chipkin9 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Hello AB. I thought I'd take a stab at your star question and offer up my opinion on how my perception of the world around us has changed.

First your star incident. It is caused by turbulent air in the atmosphere. This is what is known as twinkling. It is a natural phenomenon.
Linkage

As for my perception well...I know there is entirely too many things going on that are inexplicable or that go unnoticed by most of us. I don't believe every conspiracy theory or prophecy regurgitated up on ATS or anywhere else but I do know that I truly know very little. I like to play the trends to find the truth. I like to see what should be obvious and/or what seems to be the truth because multiple sources have come to similar conclusions.

Human perception and intelligence is fundamentally limited. So there is so much more out there that many cannot see. For example there are electromagnetic waves that range from visible light to sound but many more wavelengths that are inperceptable to us but they sure as shoot exist.

Anyways I hope that I made a little sense in my ramblings.

Stay curious!

edit on 30-5-2011 by Redwookieaz because: Grammarz yo!

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Just to make this clear the stars were twinkling as they always do, but that is not what I saw. I have watched the sky for thousands of hours, I know what twinkling looks like.
They completely vanished for about 1-1.5 seconds and then reappeared. To me it looked like something had passed under then and then moved on to the next set of stars in linear fashion. But the something was not a cloud or anything that I or any of us could see.

posted on May, 31 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

It is actually still twinkling. It kind of freaked me out the first time I saw it lol. It is lensing caused by changes in the upper atmosphere. It can occur in a linear fashion as you mentioned as it travels across the sky.

edit on 31-5-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join