It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Naomi Cambell: Cadbury advert is racist! but is it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I was just watching The Wright Stuff on Vhannel 5 (UK) this morning and one of the topics they brought up to discuss was a story in the papers regarding an advert by Cadbury's for a new chocolate bar called Bliss, which Naomi Campbell is saying is racist because it is likening her to 'chocolate': unfortunately I have not found a copy of the billboard version to post here.

Cadbury was facing more trouble last night after Naomi Campbell accused it of racism. The supermodel reportedly called for black consumers to boycott the company’s products after she was compared to a chocolate bar in a new advertising campaign. Ms Campbell was said to be furious that the company used her name to promote a new product called Bliss. The advert says: ‘Move over Naomi – there’s a new diva in town.’ She was quoted as saying: ‘I am shocked. It’s upsetting to be described as chocolate, not just for me, but for all black women and black people. I do not find any humour in this.’

Link....

It would appear that her specific gripe appears to be with the billboard advert which depicts a picture of the chocolate bar itself and the slogan ‘Move over Naomi – there’s a new diva in town.’ But the marketing drive behind Bliss itself is calling it 'the most pampered chocolate' and having watched the TV advert (below) there is actually no mention of Naomi in that.

Now, there was a mixed feeling from both the panel on the show as well as from the callers into the show. One caller, of mixed race said that it wasn't racist (even though as a child at school she had suffered racial abuse in the form of name calling, things like chocolate drop etc) whereas another caller, also of colour, stated that she felt it was racist for the same reason.

Now for my personal point of view:

Firstly, if this was your 'average joe' on the street saying that this advert was racist, nobody would pay any attention, therefore I think it is great that by having someone like Naomi Campbell whome, by being a celebrity and great fighter against racism, is able to champion the cause for those people who are the victims of racism.

However, the advert (especially the video version) does more to suggest the chocolate bar is 'spoiled' and my view is that their comparison to Naomi is more about that; ie her being a 'Diva'. So is it conceivable that her offense has nothing to do with racism? is it also not conveivable that if we look hard enough, we can find racism in the most mundane things if we chose to spin it that way?

I must state, for the record that I hate racism as much as I hate sexism, ageism, heightism and descrimintation in general. But I do not see this advert as being racist.

What do you think?

edit on 30-5-2011 by AtlantisX99 because: correcting vid link

edit on 30-5-2011 by AtlantisX99 because: Trying to sort the vid link (again)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Is Naomi a diva? Is she the only Naomi in the world? Is she white on the inside? Does she melt in the heat? Is she in a foil wrapper? Can she be bought for $1.95?

These are all questions to be considered Naomi Campbell. Are you really that cheap?
edit on 30-5-2011 by daggyz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Naomi forgets that everyone should boycott Cadbury anyway ... it's been taken over by the US company Kraft, production is shifting from England to Eastern Europe, their loyal employees are being sacked, the chocolate bars are getting smaller and their famous "glass and half" promise is soon to be watered down ... literally.

Kraft. They're ruining Cadbury.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
That does it.. I'm never buying one of these bars.

It made an - imo - ugly woman cry.

I will not be a pastry to making women cry.

Not unless you are my mother.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Forget the colour of her skin.
We should be worried about the thickness!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Forget the colour of her skin.
We should be worried about the thickness!

We already know she's thick.

Shes a model!!

Oo

Oh I get what you mean now..

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Should we take anything this woman says seriously? Did she think her african dictator friend was being racist when he gave her dirty little pebbles which turned out to be diamonds, i think not!
This advert doesnt not appear racist to me, its suggesting that the choclate bar is a spoilt little diva, simple as.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I didnt see the chocolate bar handling blood diamonds with Liberian Dictator Charles Taylor. I really cant stand Campbell, a horrible human being.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   
How small is her life or how tight is her purse? Does she need the money she's undoubtedly going to sue for?
Oh! That's right...Haven't heard much from her lately her publicist was nervous.
Geez babe, get a life!
How bout a chockie called Caucasian crunch? Or Albino delight? sorry...that's all I got, what else do they call us?

Have another tanty and settle petal

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Just after some publicity?
Nothing to see here, Though that chocolate does look nice..

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Good lord, it was about her being a diva. I swear.. some folks really have an inflated opinion of themselves.

‘Move over Naomi – there’s a new diva in town.’

diva Featured Word noun * one who behaves as a goddess or queen. A diva is a celebrated female singer, similar to a "prima donna" (literally "first lady.") Both the terms "diva" and "prima donna" are now used disparagingly for someone who acts overly entitled.

Yep, hit that nail right on the head you vapid overly entitled diva.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Naomi Campbell is such a twit. If it weren't for her violent episodes, and completely moronic behavior, nobody would even know who she is anymore. She's become "infamous". She should be happy Cadbury gave her a little publicity, albeit, they did call attention to her "diva" behavior. Which, in my book, is kinda a dig.
I mean, who wants to be a diva, when divas act like Naomi Campbell? Ew.

Actually, I wonder if she's complaning about it, to call even more attention to herself. Well, Get it while you can, Naomi.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AtlantisX99

The supermodel reportedly called for black consumers to boycott the company’s products after she was compared to a chocolate bar in a new advertising campaign

If this is truly racist... why shouldn't white people also boycott it? Or maybe, Ms Cambell, you don’t see white people as your equals?

You do realise, Ms Cambell, that white people were involved in the civil rights marches of America and in bring down apartheid in South Africa... you do know that, don’t you??

Probably not because, like this chocolate bar, you are pampered and spoilt.

And, like the makers of the chocolate, you are happy to turn a blind eye to the exploitation of black people if it suits your needs. African diamonds, African Cocoa... same thing!!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I dont think this is being fair on the chocolate bar, whats it done to deserve being associated with her? For gods sake this woman attacks people who annoy her. Im glad i dont like chocolate otherwise i think it would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings on this. My thoughts:

I doubt SERIOUSLY that Cadbury meant anything racist with their ad. They are clearly comparing the two as divas, not that the two are chocolate.

However, if black people are teased as kids by being called 'chocolate', then I can see how it would be hurtful.

Did Cadbury get Naomi's permission to use her name?

Does Naomi have her name trademarked? Could the ad be talking about Naomi Judd? No. It's clearly talking about Naomi Campbell because she has a HUGE rep of being a diva...

I think Naomi is living up to her reputation on this one... becoming outraged at something that most of us wouldn't even notice. Being a diva. But the bottom line is that Cadbury should have gotten her permission to use her name. So, I'm going to say that they are in the wrong here. But not because it's racist.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I have mixed feelings on this. My thoughts:

I doubt SERIOUSLY that Cadbury meant anything racist with their ad. They are clearly comparing the two as divas, not that the two are chocolate.

However, if black people are teased as kids by being called 'chocolate', then I can see how it would be hurtful.

Did Cadbury get Naomi's permission to use her name?

Does Naomi have her name trademarked? Could the ad be talking about Naomi Judd? No. It's clearly talking about Naomi Campbell because she has a HUGE rep of being a diva...

I think Naomi is living up to her reputation on this one... becoming outraged at something that most of us wouldn't even notice. Being a diva. But the bottom line is that Cadbury should have gotten her permission to use her name. So, I'm going to say that they are in the wrong here. But not because it's racist.

You make a very good point there, the advert refers to 'Naomi' not specifically to Naomi Campell; granted the way it is marketed as aspoiled etc; we clearly know it IS Naomi Campbell but to Cadbury, it could be Naomi Smith from number 42, down the road.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
In all honesty I could not care less if I tried about anything Naomi Campbell has to say about anything, even if she's right. As someone who knows several people employed at Cadbury's Keynsham plant near Bristol, whose jobs are being outsourced to Eastern Europe, I'll never buy another of their products again. In fact, I hope they go out of business.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
tbh im suprised she didnt go one further and say that all chocolates racist and should be coloured differently!!

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Who the hell is Naomi Campbell? Never heard of her....

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

CAMBELL, of course. I'm actually typing in bed laying on one side due to rheumatism so expect plenty of typos. Then again it's a good question. Who is she? If you ask her she probably thinks she's the centre of the universe. A little up herself one might say.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join