It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Government Reform-What I think would be best.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Given the circumstances of the country, I'm sure it's past due for a reform.

Now I may be young, with no "degree" or any governing experience inside of our government, but I'm not stupid.
What our country has devolved into is a mess. The U.S. citizen is currently a pig in a pen, vied for by the local/state and federal governments. The laws which we have to abide by more oft than not prevent us from speaking out or having any power within lawmaking.

So, along these thoughts I felt like making a thread around them. I don't start many threads here, nor do I post very often. But lately this voice inside of me has been swelling up from all the anguish, torture, and hatred from both citizens and the law. Neither side is completely guilt free, but if the law had been maintained correctly and within reason like it was created to be initially, it wouldn't be an issue.

So, here are a few points I think would drastically change things for us, something new for a government that's not direct democracy (which is hard to maintain and hear everyone out, which is slow moving, which is why I think the Founding Fathers had the right idea) but definitely not what we have now.

1)The Federal government should be mostly undone. Leaving the Constitution, it's Amendments, and Declaration of Independence. Congress should be dissolved and the posting of the President of the United States should be done away with.

2)Federal laws should be sternly looked over and routed for unnecessary laws. Laws that should remain would be along the lines of murder and rape. Only heinous crimes would be considered federal offenses.

3)Each state government would become like something similar to the time of the Confederate States.

No, I'm not talking about the Civil War. I'm talking before we were the United States. Each state was held sovereign. They each had laws and regulations, some that differed among the states. Some even had their own currency. This would allow the Federal Government to hold all of the states together, but, still keep it from getting our of control. This means different minded people could live where they wanted. This is the exact reason Idaho even became a state.(Or maybe it was Montana, correct me if I'm wrong Mormons.)
So, states would almost be exactly the same, but with a little breathing room.

4)The military should be seperated into each state.

What I mean by this is that our military power should be based in each state, just like under the Confederate States. This means that each state can decided how much funding they wish to provide their military and what they spend it on. It would also mean that the Federal Government would have to ask for the support of the states for any sort of Conflict whatsoever. Each state would deem what would be important to protect, troops would be able to stay near their hometowns and families with their loved ones.
States would be able to communicate amongst themselves and decide what kinds of statutes and tactics to use.
Now, of course we would keep the Navy, Airforce, and other branches, but the only mobile one would be the Navy and certain groups of the Army. This would allow us to protect our citizens in other countries without stressing ourselves worrying about other countries problems. I have more I could add, but along these guidelines, it cuts spending, reduces organizational issues, and needless conflict interventions.

5)Currency should be based on our GDP (or oil reserves)

I'm not sure what it's currently based on, but I can tell you it's probably not this. It's hard for me to explain what I mean generally, so ask and you shall receive I guess. All I know is that there isn't enough Gold in the world for everyone, nor oil. But if every country based their monetary exchange per their GDP (which most nations already do when trading/exchanging currencies) each country would be able to keep their value much more accurately. Now that may change when exchanging among countries, but the dollar (from the time instated in 1774(counting Peso and other legal tender of the time) or 1792(when the U.S. Dollar was first minted and given value by Congress)to 2009) has lost over 90% of it's buying power with the inflation and other policies of this country. Not only would this solve the fact we're basing buying power on a natural and limited resource, it would allow us to maintain set prices on the market.

I'm a little ADD, so this is all I'm going to add for now. I'll update the post later with more info or other points I feel are important.

Source
edit on 29-5-2011 by Xen0m0rpH because: URL decided it wanted to be in the wrong spot.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I have seen more than one thread like this recently. It's something I had planned on addressing more than a year ago upon studying Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers, in conjunction with the events of history. After seeing this, I will make one in the not too distant future.

I am glad to see people thinking about these things, although I personally believe that we are too late. We are all done for. Let me address a few of your points.

Originally posted by Xen0m0rpH
1)The Federal government should be mostly undone. Leaving the Constitution, it's Amendments, and Declaration of Independence. Congress should be dissolved and the posting of the President of the United States should be done away with.

You can't do away with congress and the president and still keep the Constitution. It establishes the government in the roles of a Congress, the President and the Judiciary.

2)Federal laws should be sternly looked over and routed for unnecessary laws. Laws that should remain would be along the lines of murder and rape. Only heinous crimes would be considered federal offenses.

Surprisingly, what is unnecessary or heinous are not the same person to person. Religion, personal values etc dictate this to each individual. When it comes to codifying these, it usually ends up a matter of who knows who and is there a way for someone to make money.

3)Each state government would become like something similar to the time of the Confederate States.

I agree that the states need to have more power in relation to the federal government then they have today. I wouldn't go so far as to have separate money though.

4)The military should be seperated into each state.

I definitely would like to see a realignment of the military forces of the US. I don't think the federal government should have much of a foreign deployable force. The federal military should be responsible for unity of training standards, weapons system development and coordinating the states. Purchases and command authority should be at the State level.

You would not see the US involved in many foreign campaigns this way.

That's all I will address for now, until I can compose my ideas into a thread. I enjoyed the read.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xen0m0rpH

That would be unConstitutional. What would be better would be a return to a strict constructionist interpretation of the Constitution.

Murder and rape should be state level crimes. The regular "criminal code" should only be "federal crimes" in areas like the District of Colombia and other federal enclaves. Otherwise, federal laws should deal strictly with interstate commerce or international relations.

You are referring to the Articles of Confederation. That would not be necessary if the 10th amendment were strictly observed and senators were again appointed by the states instead of being elected by the populace. Senators were to be the "voice of the states", the House of Representatives was to be the "voice of the people".

4)The military should be separated into each state.

What I mean by this is that our military power should be based in each state, just like under the Confederate States. This means that each state can decided how much funding they wish to provide their military and what they spend it on. It would also mean that the Federal Government would have to ask for the support of the states for any sort of Conflict whatsoever. Each state would deem what would be important to protect, troops would be able to stay near their hometowns and families with their loved ones.
States would be able to communicate amongst themselves and decide what kinds of statutes and tactics to use.
Now, of course we would keep the Navy, Airforce, and other branches, but the only mobile one would be the Navy and certain groups of the Army. This would allow us to protect our citizens in other countries without stressing ourselves worrying about other countries problems. I have more I could add, but along these guidelines, it cuts spending, reduces organizational issues, and needless conflict interventions.
I could agree with the abolition of the US Army. However, the US Navy(and I think the Air Force as well) need to be federal. Why would Idaho, Oklahoma, or Kentucky(to name a few) want/need to support a navy under your plan? The navy benefits all of the several states, thus the burden should be shared by all. Abolishing the Army and restoring the National Guard and the Militia to their proper roles would make a lot of sense; imo anyway.

5)Currency should be based on our GDP (or oil reserves)

I'm not sure what it's currently based on, but I can tell you it's probably not this. It's hard for me to explain what I mean generally, so ask and you shall receive I guess. All I know is that there isn't enough Gold in the world for everyone, nor oil. But if every country based their monetary exchange per their GDP (which most nations already do when trading/exchanging currencies) each country would be able to keep their value much more accurately. Now that may change when exchanging among countries, but the dollar (from the time instated in 1774(counting Peso and other legal tender of the time) or 1792(when the U.S. Dollar was first minted and given value by Congress)to 2009) has lost over 90% of it's buying power with the inflation and other policies of this country. Not only would this solve the fact we're basing buying power on a natural and limited resource, it would allow us to maintain set prices on the market.
Our currency is based on nothing. It is fiat money, and worth only what people believe it is worth. Basing it on GDP makes little sense since those numbers are often fudged anyway. No, an objective standard(rather than a subjective one) needs to be set. The dollar had once been represented by 1.60 g (24.75 grains) of gold. We may need to change that value, perhaps revaluing the dollar to equal .01 grams of gold? or something along that line. But any objective standard is better than what we have now.

Source
edit on 29-5-2011 by Xen0m0rpH because: URL decided it wanted to be in the wrong spot.

posted on May, 30 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
great thread young Jedi
but I'm afraid Wolf is right.
It is too late now to fix it.
The empire is crumbling
and it cannot be stopped.
The only thing we can do now
is gripe about it.

If the world gives you a camp fire,
have a weenie roast.

Got any marsh mellows ??

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
All valid points everyone has brought up and I will address them as follows.

Maybe more of a Government liquidation of sorts is what's needed for more literal language.

Originally posted by Wolf321
I am glad to see people thinking about these things, although I personally believe that we are too late. We are all done for...

I agree. This thread is nothing but a note between classmates on the cosmic scale of discussion of this topic. This thread will not affect our political governors nor inspire any new laws. However, to get away from the monotony of things, I do like to discuss things I think up and think them out with others. Even if the subject is a dead horse of sorts.

Originally posted by Wolf321
Surprisingly, what is unnecessary or heinous are not the same person to person. Religion, personal values etc dictate this to each individual.

While I do understand everyone has their own thoughts, this doesn't mean that rituals that require live human sacrifice of infants should be allowed because of one's religious beliefs. There is a limit to what is acceptable to rational people and that is what I feel the government should enforce. That would truly be protecting the whole for the greater good.
Laws which the states would/should employ would be similar to the city ordinances. Laws which apply to certain areas which are deemed needed. Such as those which deny the trespassing of others property.
And I obviously don't mean to separate our states so far as to have different currency. The federal government should be one which watches over the state governments so none of them step out of bounds. A greater form of checks and balances. It is not us who should be punished because of our political idiots, it should be the government. Which, by looking around as of late has overstepped many boundaries. It has become the child who tries to reason with the parent as to the reason why it should always have it's way, even if it means impoverishing the parents.

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Murder and rape should be state level crimes. The regular "criminal code" should only be "federal crimes" in areas like the District of Colombia and other federal enclaves. Otherwise, federal laws should deal strictly with interstate commerce or international relations.

I digress from my original statement. That would make sense. It just stands in my mind that there are things which should stand as rules for all citizens, yet, also laws for localized instances (such as the ridiculous ordinance in Florida where one is forbidden to leash an alligator to fire hydrants).

You are referring to the Articles of Confederation. That would not be necessary if the 10th amendment were strictly observed and senators were again appointed by the states instead of being elected by the populace. Senators were to be the "voice of the states", the House of Representatives was to be the "voice of the people".

I disagree. That is if I understand what you are putting forth. From what I see, that would mean that each states Congress would elect it's representative, no?

However, the US Navy(and I think the Air Force as well) need to be federal. Why would Idaho, Oklahoma, or Kentucky(to name a few) want/need to support a navy under your plan? The navy benefits all of the several states, thus the burden should be shared by all. Abolishing the Army and restoring the National Guard and the Militia to their proper roles would make a lot of sense; imo anyway.

No that would make perfect sense, I will edit that into the original post as it would hold better to the conformity of the government.

Originally posted by boondock-saint
great thread young Jedi
but I'm afraid Wolf is right.
It is too late now to fix it.
The empire is crumbling
and it cannot be stopped.
The only thing we can do now
is gripe about it.

If the world gives you a camp fire,
have a weenie roast.

Got any marsh mellows ??

Yes, unfortunately it is far too late. I wish I was born earlier as I would love to run as presidential nominee. But alas, you must be a gentleman far more aged than I to be considered "wise" and "in-tune with the people."

The weenie roast definitely rings a bell with my thoughts, just as the forefathers once feared. This situation has devolved into something that will only be fixed should the government readdress itself and forsake it's sovereignty.
Obviously the monster that has been bred thinks it knows best, such as the deranged parent that beats it children nightly to teach some empirical lesson wrought within it's distorted mind.

Marsh mellows will most certainly melt, as will the tools used to hold them from the heat of the patriotic flames to come. Might I recommend a more healthy choice such as metal?

new topics

top topics

join