It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt permanently opens Gaza border crossing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

RAFAH, Gaza Strip – After four years, Egypt has permanently opened the Gaza Strip's main gateway to the outside world.

The move to lift most travel restrictions on Gaza residents brings long-awaited relief to the territory's Palestinian population and a significant achievement for its Hamas rulers. But it raises Israeli fears it will be easier for militants to go in and out of Gaza.

The first busload of passengers crossed into Egypt on Saturday morning at the Rafah terminal, where about 400 Gazans awaited.

From what I remember, this has been talked about for a few months now. It looks like they have finally opened the passage.

One good thing I can see coming out of this, is that more humaintarian supplies may be able to reach Gaza sooner than they have been (if Israel is still blocking some supplies at this passage). But, this could also allow more militants into Gaza.

Im 50/50 on this one all together, since it just opened. Time will tell how this plays out.

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Egypt just painted a big bulls eye on themselves! Ah well they can't complain if anything happens to them! No more need for the old flotilla anymore! They can get aid in! Any more flotilla's are a provocation!
edit on 28-5-2011 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Do you think this is some kind of peace offering or is there an ulterior motive?

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SerialLurker

Do you think this is some kind of peace offering or is there an ulterior motive?

That is something Ive been thinking about. I do not know. It looks like it can be peace oriented, but it also could be something more sinister. The region is in flames at the moment. I just dont know. Thats why Im staying 50/50 on it.

reply to post by phatpackage

They can get aid in! Any more flotilla's are a provocation!

Now they have basically almost free passage ,if someone still sends flotilla's in, I would also think that they would be a provocation. This may be a test to see if people supporting Gaza can bring in aid without the provocation the flotilla's brought.
edit on 28-5-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

This will piss off the smugglers who run the blackmarket tunnels under the border. No more profit.

top topics

join