It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Order of Alhambra

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Anyone know much about this organization?

www.orderalhambra.org...

The International Order of Alhambra?

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 08:45 AM
link   
not much to it but here ya go

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by chief_counsellor
Anyone know much about this organization?

www.orderalhambra.org...

The International Order of Alhambra?

chief_counsellor,

I collect fraternal rituals & history books (and have for over 15 years) A few years back a friend of mine (A Roman Catholic and a 4th Degree Knight of Columbus) asked me if I'd heard of the Order of Alhambra. I hadn't heard of it but did some research which included writing to their Exec. Secretary in Baltimore, MD. He wrote me a very nice reply and sent me a 100+ page book entitled "The Order of Alhambra: It's History and its Memorials" by Vincent A. Lapomarda. It's been a few years since I've read it, but it is an interesting group. The Shriners (who are Masons) attracted the attention of quite a few fraternal groups in the late 1800's and early 1900's and many of them mimicked the Shrine with groups of their own. For instance the Odd Fellows have the Ancient Mystic Order of Samaritans (A.M.O.S.) The Knights of Pythias have the Knights of Khorassan and (if I remember correctly) some Knights of Columbus started the Order of Alhambra for similar purposes. Each of these groups wore fezzes, etc. like Shriners. Alhambra once required that it's members be 3rd or 4th Degree Knights of Columbus, but the Supreme Council, K of C put a stop to it. Today any practicing Roman Catholic male of a certain age is eligible. Don't hold me to the specifics because, again, it's been a few years since I read the book.

There are several other Roman Catholic fraternal societies still in existence like the Catholic Order of Foresters who grew out of the Ancient Order of Foresters, but the Church frowned upon it's members participating....the Catholic Knights of America (who's ritual is VERY similar to the Knights of Columbus) and an African-American group called the Knights of Peter Claver. Claver was, I believe, the Patron Saint of the Slaves.

Regards,

John

posted on Oct, 26 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
The International Order of Alhambra was founded in Brooklyn, NY in 1904 by William Harper Bennett, who authored the KC 4th Degree. It has "Caravans" in the US and Canada, and formerly in Mexico (they are looking into reviving the Mexican caravans)

The Alhambra was originally intended to be the 5th and 6th Degrees of the KC, and has a two-rank set up (Novice and "Sir Noble"), but the KCs never officially recognized it as such.

At one time you had to be a 4th (or 3rd?) Degree KC member to get in, that is since done away with.

It is, in essence, the approved Catholic variant of the Shriners, as the KC is to Freemasonry.

I just placed a new decoration on my Alhambra fez this morning...

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Zhenyghi

the fact is that the Alhambra in order to spread its order had to divest of the Knights of Columbus on membership issues in the far South being primarily Black and no such Knights Councils or Black members. So the spread of the organization has no restirctiction on race only that you be Roman Catholic

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join